New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Someone at work and I where talking about this. Her grandson is engaged and it got me wondering as to "How do people set their dates?"

For us it was a little weird because ours was strongly tied up with Lent. I asked her to marry me on March 14. And we had decided a year long engagement was about the right amount of time.

So we looked at the calander and a year from when I had asked her would have been Lent that year. Lutherans by tradition don't normally do weddings during Lent. So we decided on the first Saturday after Easter as the date. (Easter being of course the end of Lent.) April 10th

It was also important that because the wedding was in Florida we didn't want it to be too hot.

So how did you guys determine your wedding dates?

waxlion10

Just shut up and be delicious- Dwight
Mar 27, 2006
United States
Visit site
✟10,368.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, we got engaged last November. Because I was still in school, we pretty much knew we had to get married over the summer. But I did a 10-week internship over the summer and then started student teaching in August. So... we really only had two dates (July 31 and August 7) to choose from if we wanted to be able to take a honeymoon before student teaching.

...and our friends "stole" August 7 :p They got engaged shortly before we did, and we were both in the wedding, and they decided that they wanted August 7th, AND we have the same home church and were getting married in the same church.

They later changed the date to June 5th, AFTER DH and I had already booked the church for July 31st. *rolls eyes*

It was probably a blessing in disguise, though, because DH says it's easier for him to remember July 31st than August 7th :)

Upvote 0

citizenthom

I'm not sayin'. I'm just sayin'.
Nov 10, 2009
✟12,912.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
DW wanted to get married in October. We couldn't do it that last Saturday in October because of her work (she's in cosmetics and would be in "gift with purchase"). The third and first Saturdays were already blocked off for family weddings. The second Saturday soon got filled up with a third close friend's wedding that most of my family wanted to attend.

So we went with September 25th. Except that turned out to be the weekend Christian and Missionary Alliance's Missions Conference--and several of her aunts are leaders in the Alliance Women.

And therefore we ended up with September 18th. And you know what? It worked out a lot better. We got fall prices at the beach, but summer weather; we had a month of nothing but marriage before my job started; and I had plenty of time to put our house together.

If their lives work out to where they can do so, I would highly recommend a period where only one of them is working. The less you have going on that first month or two besides just getting to know each other, the better.

Upvote 0

Periann

Nov 21, 2003
TX
✟11,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ours really revolved on family availability. My sister (who was also my maid of honor) is free only 2 times a year, summer or 2-3 weeks during the Christmas holidays bc she's in her last year of med school and is on a very tight schedule. Since we were discussing it in early in 2010 (literally before he'd officially proposed) we had a mini-family conference with both sets of parents and all siblings and siblings in-law to check availability-all of us with our blackberry's and smartphones out to check our calenders lol. We thought summer 2010 was waaay too quick for us to plan a wedding, and it seemed that most weekends in the summer of 2010 were already someone else's wedding weekends anway. The next choice would have been summer 2011, but we really didn't want to wait that long. So our next option was sometime during the Christmas holidays. We chose the weekend after New Year's-Jan 8-bc that was the latest possible date that my sister could be on vacation before she had to head back to school, and everyone else was free. Although I never really dreamed of a winter wedding, I'm glad we had it then bc a ton of friends are getting married in the summer/fall, so we definitely would have had some competition for dates. It also happened to a beautifully cool sunny day despite bad weather forecasts so we were really blessed!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dorig59

Senior Veteran
May 18, 2008
Missouri
✟18,873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ours is kind of a nice little story. We were going to be married in the summer of 2004, and as we were looking at the calendar together, my husband noticed my birthday was falling on a Saturday that year. So he got it in his head that we should get married on my birthday in July. And so we did. He always jokes about not being able to forget our anniversary because of my birthday, or vice versa. As if he'd ever forget anyway!

Upvote 0

Niffer

So...that just happened.
Aug 1, 2008
Ontario
✟20,246.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
We phoned the reception hall we wanted and asked what dates they had available.
They had 2.
June 20th
August 14th

June was sooner :D

BAM!

((our whole wedding was pretty much planned that way. It was pretty chill - I just knew what Hall we wanted - after that it was all pretty turn-key.))

Upvote 0

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hubby was a full time student and I worked full time, so the first Friday he could miss at college (so we could have a three day weekend for our honeymoon) and that I could get off was the winner.

We still haven't taken our honeymoon. We are going to try and plan to take a short one for our anniversary this year and then plan a longer "second honeymoon" for our 5th anniversary. :)

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ours is kind of a nice little story. We were going to be married in the summer of 2004, and as we were looking at the calendar together, my husband noticed my birthday was falling on a Saturday that year. So he got it in his head that we should get married on my birthday in July. And so we did. He always jokes about not being able to forget our anniversary because of my birthday, or vice versa. As if he'd ever forget anyway!

He was just trying to make it easier for him to remember. :D

In fact I remember my wife's birthday because its the day after pearl harbor was attacked.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
O?:

We took a look at our work schedules & picked the closest date that we could both be off (enough time to really enjoy our honeymoon-we really did not give a flip obout the ceremony/guestlists/gifts/parties etc).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dorig59

Senior Veteran
May 18, 2008
Missouri
✟18,873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He was just trying to make it easier for him to remember. :D

In fact I remember my wife's birthday because its the day after pearl harbor was attacked.

Luther, how funny! You must be a history buff, too? My husband's like that, and he's got a steel trap mind with remembering dates and stuff. Sometime in the last year or so, I can't remember what brought this on, but he was going on and on about how horrible it would be to have the same birthday as Hitler (of course I can't remember what the date was).

And the Pearl Harbor thing, my mom's got the same birthday. I think she was turning 4 or 5 that year, and she said she remembers at that age thinking that her birthday was kinda sorta ruined because of what was going on, which she didn't understand at the time, of course.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Luther, how funny! You must be a history buff, too? My husband's like that, and he's got a steel trap mind with remembering dates and stuff. Sometime in the last year or so, I can't remember what brought this on, but he was going on and on about how horrible it would be to have the same birthday as Hitler (of course I can't remember what the date was).

And the Pearl Harbor thing, my mom's got the same birthday. I think she was turning 4 or 5 that year, and she said she remembers at that age thinking that her birthday was kinda sorta ruined because of what was going on, which she didn't understand at the time, of course.

Yeah I'm a history buff but I'm not a dates kind of guy, I know a few dates but not many. I tend to remember things like, what happened, what was said, cronilogical order, what caused what and things like that.

I remember the date of Pearl Harbor because of FDR's speech. (Remembering quotes and not dates). "December 7th 1941, a date which will live in infamy. The United States was suddenly and deliberatly attacked by naval and airforces of the Empire of Japan."

For example in terms of a more local history. My alma mater is Valpariaiso University which is a Lutheran University. I can tell you it was bought by the Lutherans in the 1920's (I don't know exactly what date or even year.) And the Lutherans only managed to buy it because the Roman Catholic church loaned them some of the money to do it. The REASON that the Roman Catholic church loaned them some of the money was because the 2nd highest bidder was the Ku Klux Klan which of course is very anti-Catholic.

The KKK was at the time very powerful in Indiana at the time and wanted to set up KKK-U in Valpo. But not long after the Lutherans won that bid, the KKK suddenly lost all their power in Indiana in one event. The leader of the KKK got drunk and kidnapped a white woman, raped her and killed her. Since the KKK sells this idea that black guys like to rape white women, it proved their hypocracy and they went from being a powerful political force to being almost powerless in the state.

So therefore, in thanks (for the loan), Valparaiso University later bought an old drug store, converted it into a Roman Catholic church and pays a Roman Catholic priest to minister there for all of Valpo's Roman Catholic students.

I don't know Hitler's birthday. But I do remember he served in World War 1, at at some point before World War 1 he was a struggling painter who was a vegitarian. And I was able to identify a painting as his work when they showed it on TV before they mentioned the painter's name. (Thats not everything I know about Hitler obviously. But I always liked that the genocidal maniac of the 20th century was at one point a vegitarian painter.)

"A Hitler"

LON106_wa.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ChildByGrace

Isn't God's grace the best !!!
Jul 22, 2005
Bournemouth
✟16,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
We wanted a late spring/early summer wedding-ideally sometime during April. We had a specific hotel that we wanted so we went to book it with April dates in mind. However they couldn't do any date in April. We then started looking at March and May. Due to other bookings they could only do 20/27 March and 22/29 May. 20 Mar is hubbies birthday so we didn't want that date and we felt 27 was just too early. We decided on 29th May because it was the week before school half term holiday and therefore certain members of the family that had to be invited but we didn't really want there wouldn't be able to make it lol

Upvote 0
B

blythe_ann

We got engaged on December 23rd (ring in ornament, hot chocolate, very sweet).
My pending college graduation played a part, but we decided that December 23rd the next year was good a day as any. Everyone had time off, it was Christmas. So everyone came for Christmas and we just had an extra celebration! And my husband and I went to Hawaii for a week, because he was on winter break from his school. As I had just graduated, I didn't have a job yet, so... we had a two weeks of nothing going on but being newly weds.

Upvote 0

Cynthia85

Doctor... Captain Picard... Let's make it so!
Jun 21, 2006
Here for a while, heaven for eternity
Visit site
✟8,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because there was a wedding every single weekend after graduation (beginning of May) until the middle of July. So we chose the end of July, lol. We also wanted to be engaged for a year to plan th wedding and living arrangements (stay? move? more college? work?). It ended up being 13 months.

Upvote 0