ooey gooey is for brownies, not Bible teachers
Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
How can I think more about eternity, and not about my 401K, career, and worldly stuff?

Sometimes I get so caught up in this Illuminati ruled world that's just going to get burned up eventually, that it makes me feel like my faith is just some casual gym membership that I can take or leave depending on how I am feeling.. how can I fight this overwhelming sense of ennui that I feel sometimes?

Jan 4, 2004
✟11,699.00
Faith
Other Religion
Find the purpose and meaning that exists in every situation.

Look at life as an opportunity to right wrongs and do work that needs to be done, rather than something that owes you entertainment.

Personally, I think its a dangerous thing to focus on some sort of spiritual afterlife and neglect the very imminent and very real concerns of the here and now in this physical life. After all, this current existence is the only one we know for certain we'll have. There IS meaning, purpose and happiness here.

Upvote 0

Apollo Celestio

Deal with it.
Jul 11, 2007
Ohio
✟36,579.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Find the purpose and meaning that exists in every situation.

Look at life as an opportunity to right wrongs and do work that needs to be done, rather than something that owes you entertainment.

Personally, I think its a dangerous thing to focus on some sort of spiritual afterlife and neglect the very imminent and very real concerns of the here and now in this physical life. After all, this current existence is the only one we know for certain we'll have. There IS meaning, purpose and happiness here.

Not meaning any disrespect, but this is why I don't like to bring up "eternity" with non-Christians around. Perhaps this is something you should talk to the people at church about.

Upvote 0

stephanieamber

i am gonna love like you've never seen.
Jan 6, 2009
#upperleftusa
Visit site
✟14,418.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Single
well, something my friend mitch shared with me once that c.s. lewis said..
eternity is like a ball, time is like a line.

O .. so while time has a beginning and an end, eternity is always overlapping with time. when we asked Christ into our hearts, we became recipients of eternal life. that means we HAVE eternal life, which means for us that earth is completely devoid of anything eternal. on the contrary, i think we can see glimpses of eternity all over; when we function properly as believers, when we are in a moment of pure worship, when we encounter death..

once i really started to see myself as being eternal NOW, and not being temporary now but eternal later, it became easier for me to focus on things of Heaven, because it doesn't feel as far away.

Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Not meaning any disrespect, but this is why I don't like to bring up "eternity" with non-Christians around. Perhaps this is something you should talk to the people at church about.

She has a point though. Sometimes, Christians fall prey to the "if only I were in heaven" mentality that they forget - or neglect - their responsibilities and opportunities here on Earth. We can't neglect the huge opportunity we've been given. Our focus should be God, but God is everywhere -- in every opportunity, in every circumstance, in every beautiful face that needs our help.

God doesn't call us to be daydreamers. God calls us to work for Him on this Earth.

Upvote 0

GQ Chris

ooey gooey is for brownies, not Bible teachers
Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
We shouldn't neglect our responsibilities here on Earth, agreed; but I am not talking about that. I'm talking about how to better focus on an eternal perspective than to have temporal matters usurp all our energies as Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fremdin

Contributor
Jan 26, 2008
✟17,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How can I think more about eternity, and not about my 401K, career, and worldly stuff?

Sometimes I get so caught up in this Illuminati ruled world that's just going to get burned up eventually, that it makes me feel like my faith is just some casual gym membership that I can take or leave depending on how I am feeling.. how can I fight this overwhelming sense of ennui that I feel sometimes?

I was going to answer but I don't have any scripture to back it up, but nice use of the word "ennui" never seen it used on this site before

Reactions: GQ Chris
Upvote 0

Apollo Celestio

Deal with it.
Jul 11, 2007
Ohio
✟36,579.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
She has a point though. Sometimes, Christians fall prey to the "if only I were in heaven" mentality that they forget - or neglect - their responsibilities and opportunities here on Earth. We can't neglect the huge opportunity we've been given. Our focus should be God, but God is everywhere -- in every opportunity, in every circumstance, in every beautiful face that needs our help.

God doesn't call us to be daydreamers. God calls us to work for Him on this Earth.
I won't deny that. But it's like ANY time someone wants to talk about it you get that stuff.. some hope, right?

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2004
✟11,699.00
Faith
Other Religion

No disrespect taken to you or the OP. But I might add that my realization that my time here is the only thing I can have certain knowledge of (different from belief in) did wonders for my outlook on life. That is obviously not the only way, of course.

Upvote 0
M

Memento Mori

We shouldn't neglect our responsibilities here on Earth, agreed; but I am not talking about that. I'm talking about how to better focus on an eternal perspective than to have temporal matters usurp all our energies as Christians.

Hi Chris.. I try to stay focused on Christ throughout the day by silently repeating short prayers like "Jesus Christ, have mercy," or you could think about scripture verses you've memorized. When my hands are free, I also like to make a discreet reminder of God's presence by forming a cross with my thumbs.

This way we're in the world, but we're focused on Him. Have you noticed how easy it is to forget God throughout the day? :sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BRISH

Loved
Jun 16, 2009
✟15,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
well, something my friend mitch shared with me once that c.s. lewis said..
eternity is like a ball, time is like a line.

O .. so while time has a beginning and an end, eternity is always overlapping with time. when we asked Christ into our hearts, we became recipients of eternal life. that means we HAVE eternal life, which means for us that earth is completely devoid of anything eternal. on the contrary, i think we can see glimpses of eternity all over; when we function properly as believers, when we are in a moment of pure worship, when we encounter death..

once i really started to see myself as being eternal NOW, and not being temporary now but eternal later, it became easier for me to focus on things of Heaven, because it doesn't feel as far away.

For me, it's the realization that once I was saved, I had a purpose to serve. Otherwise, I might as well be dead.

^ These two things combined, in my opinion. I use to struggle alot with this. I felt I had to give up "joy" here, to be an "enternal life believer". It's honestly a big reason I avoided the faith for soo long (my earthly desires were more of a priority). I didnt want to "give up" life here in search for something unseen...BUT.... "..and these shall be added unto you"....perfect. :)

The view that the here and now -and the latter as two separate things can sometimes have us grasping to hold onto "here" while wishing we could hope more for eternity. We don't have to though. It's all in one...just different forms. It's one journey. We are told to enjoy life here as well as to enjoy promises we will have in abundance later. It's just that "here", there will be struggles, but that's it. It's all one ball game. Take comfort that God WANTS us to enjoy every single second and that includes all of it. It helps me to view it all as one life.

Upvote 0