How can I have faith that Jesus will answer my prayer, without going against his will?

camipls

Nov 7, 2023
Buenos Aires
✟1,312.00
Country
Argentina
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My heart is having conflict about this and I'd like to hear your thoughts. My mom is in the hospital right now, in ICU, for various reasons. We believe and pray that she will be healed, and get out of this alive, but my heart is torn between asking for healing, and allowing God to do his will.

I am very against this doctrine of almost demanding God to do what you want regardless of his plans for you. How can I ask for healing, and have faith that it will be done, without feeling like I'm demanding Jesus do heal someone he maybe does not want to heal, someone he wants to take to heaven with him? I am scared of putting all of my faith into this prayer, and realize God had different plans. I would accept everything with open arms, but I am scared of ending up disappointed by this. I suppose that's the key of faith, to believe no matter what, but for some reason I am struggling in this regard. Jesus conquered death, so whatever may happen, we aren't losing this battle. But I am, as a daughter, asking God to have mercy and heal my mom, and I want to pray with faith, since that's something Jesus literally said himself — but for some reason, I don't know why, I am so scared of believing this can happen since I am quite terrified of making God feel like I'm demanding it, even when I know he knows my heart, and he knows I am asking from a place of pain.

I would appreciate so much if you could give me your thoughts. If you are not a christian, please refrain from commenting. My family and I are going through a very difficult season and I just need words of encouragement from fellow brothers/sisters in Christ. If you could pray for my mom, that would mean the world to me. Her name is Patricia Norma Jorge, we are from Argentina.

God bless <3

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
My heart is having conflict about this and I'd like to hear your thoughts. My mom is in the hospital right now, in ICU, for various reasons. We believe and pray that she will be healed, and get out of this alive, but my heart is torn between asking for healing, and allowing God to do his will.

I am very against this doctrine of almost demanding God to do what you want regardless of his plans for you. How can I ask for healing, and have faith that it will be done, without feeling like I'm demanding Jesus do heal someone he maybe does not want to heal, someone he wants to take to heaven with him? I am scared of putting all of my faith into this prayer, and realize God had different plans. I would accept everything with open arms, but I am scared of ending up disappointed by this. I suppose that's the key of faith, to believe no matter what, but for some reason I am struggling in this regard. Jesus conquered death, so whatever may happen, we aren't losing this battle. But I am, as a daughter, asking God to have mercy and heal my mom, and I want to pray with faith, since that's something Jesus literally said himself — but for some reason, I don't know why, I am so scared of believing this can happen since I am quite terrified of making God feel like I'm demanding it, even when I know he knows my heart, and he knows I am asking from a place of pain.

I would appreciate so much if you could give me your thoughts. If you are not a christian, please refrain from commenting. My family and I are going through a very difficult season and I just need words of encouragement from fellow brothers/sisters in Christ. If you could pray for my mom, that would mean the world to me. Her name is Patricia Norma Jorge, we are from Argentina.

God bless <3
It is actually very simple ..Change your thinking about God being the one who inflicts people …that’s a lie.

Gods will = 3Jo 1:2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

Devils will = Jhn 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

1Co 15:26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

Heb 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
And because this is a difficult time for both you, and your whole family right now, I'm stuck between whether it is God's will or not for me to say anything right now, but I will say a quick prayer for your mom right now, ok.

Please keep us updated on this thread here as to what happens or does not happen next, ok.

God Bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

camipls

Nov 7, 2023
Buenos Aires
✟1,312.00
Country
Argentina
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is actually very simple ..Change your thinking about God being the one who inflicts people …that’s a lie.

Gods will = 3Jo 1:2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

Devils will = Jhn 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

1Co 15:26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

Heb 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
It's not that I think that God inflicts people, but scripture has stated over and over again that God uses pain, and suffering, and trials — to test our faith, to refine us like gold. We will walk through the valley of shadow of death, we will lose family members, we will suffer on this earth, and I know this life is just a fleeting instant and that we hope for the life that is to come when Jesus returns for us, or when we return to him after dying. But I also know that Jesus told us to pray for the sick, to have faith that miracles can happen, so I am torn between the two. I am, perhaps, speaking from my own suffering, and it is clouding my vision of this.

Upvote 0

camipls

Nov 7, 2023
Buenos Aires
✟1,312.00
Country
Argentina
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And because this is a difficult time for both you, and your whole family right now, I'm stuck between whether it is God's will or not for me to say anything right now, but I will say a quick prayer for your mom right now, ok.

Please keep us updated on this thread here as to what happens or does not happen, ok.

God Bless.
I thank you, my friend <3

• Friendly
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I'll add just this much for now, ok...

To say that anything that is in the world right now, is not God's will right now, is preposterous, etc, but that's also speaking generally, etc, because determining God's specific will for individuals is a bit more tricky, etc, since we most usually never know what that is, and He can also always change it/that on a dime always also, etc.

Just know that it is prayer that changes this, or can change this, or has the ability to change this at any time, ok. And no amount of prayer, or even type of prayer, is ever wrong, etc. So just keep that up as much as you are willing to, ok. But also just know that it doesn't always change things either also, ok. And just also very much strongly consider also, that it might also already be God's will for it to change or turn around also, etc. No one really knows, etc. So just keep praying ok. And don't not pray or give up on prayer just because you are either afraid, or don't want to deal with the disappointment of it maybe not happening also. Don't ever stop praying because of that ever, etc. And whatever way it turns out, let both God and the Devil know that this is not ever going to affect your faith in God or the Truth ever in any way, however it turns out in the end either way, ok.

And please keep us updated please, ok.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
my heart is torn between asking for healing, and allowing God to do his will.
It is always God's will to heal. We are told to delight ourselves in the Lord and He will give us the desires of our heart. (Psalm 37:4) Our part is to delight ourselves in the Lord. When we get sick we have nervous conniptions and it is difficult to delight in the Lord. This is when we need to intercede for people that can not pray for themselves. In the Bible a boss a parent and friends interceded for people that needed healing.

Of course God gives us the desires of our heart when our heart lines up with His will, plan and purpose for us.

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Psalm 116:15 NKJV - "Precious in the sight of the LORD Is the death of His saints."

Why be worried about death? Jesus has broken this Power that the Devil once had by raising Himself from the grave.

If we knew what awaits us on the other side, we would not be worried about dying, but looking forward to it.

Ecclesiastes 7:1 NKJV - "A good name is better than precious ointment, And the day of death than the day of one's birth . . ."

Philippians 1:21 NKJV - "For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain."

You are not in control of anything, so let go and discontinue kicking against the goads. No one can thwart the Almighty Plan of God, and I write that to deliver comfort. It is comforting to know that God has a Plan for each of us; a Plan that we cannot change or alter.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

God bless <3
Sandman is right on. God's will is healing. Healing was done on the cross. Isaiah 53:4
Surely he took up our pain
and bore our suffering,
yet we considered him punished by God,
stricken by him, and afflicted.
5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was on him,
and by his wounds we are healed.

It is not demanding from God when Jesus has already provided something. It is no different than wanting salvation. Sure sometimes these scriptures are cherry picked and out of context. Still, healing is the children's bread. God's will is to save, heal and deliver. You can choose to go by the word, or you can choose to wonder about whether it is his will to heal. That some don't have results instantly, should not persuade you either way. Just follow the bible, and pray what is already there.

Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

God bless <3
Hello Camipls, I'm VERY sorry to hear this about your mom, as well what you and your family are going through because of her present condition.

As far as praying for her, you might consider all that the Lord Jesus was going through (mentally/emotionally) in the Garden of Gethsemane (knowing what was about to happen to Him), and how He prayed as a result.

Luke 22
39 He came out and proceeded as was His custom to the Mount of Olives; and the disciples also followed Him.
40 When He arrived at the place, He said to them, “Pray that you may not enter into temptation.”
41 And He withdrew from them about a stone’s throw, and He knelt down and began to pray,
42 saying, “Father, if You are willing, remove this cup from Me; ~yet not My will, but Yours be done.~”
43 Now an angel from heaven appeared to Him, strengthening Him.
44 And being in agony He was praying very fervently; and His sweat became like drops of blood, falling down upon the ground.
45 When He rose from prayer, He came to the disciples and found them sleeping from sorrow,
46 and said to them, “Why are you sleeping? Get up and pray that you may not enter into temptation.”

Our psalmists come to mind as well, especially King David, who sometimes sounded like he was making demands of God (to do this or that for him), but I also believe that he made his "demands" with a nod to the fact that, in the end, He is Sovereign.

Perhaps you should also consider what King David did in the case of his and Bathsheba's firstborn son, because Nathan had already told him what the Lord's will was/what He was about to do (that God would take this child from them because of the great sins that David had just committed). Nevertheless/even though he knew this, David prayed, fasted and believed with all of his heart that a different outcome might be possible .. see 2 Samuel 12:1-23 (esp v13-23).

So, ask God in prayer (as often as you want to) to have mercy on your mom and to heal her, and pray for Him to do this believing that He can and will do so, knowing that it will happen ~if it is His will to do so.~ I'm certain that He will not only understand why you are praying so fervently for your mom, but is also expecting you to do so.

You should certainly bring all of your concerns (all that you just shared with us above) to God in prayer to tell Him what you are feeling, what you want, and to seek His guidance wherever needed.

Praying for your mom, and for you and your family.

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - finally, there are a number of verses that seem to point to our getting from God whatever we ask Him for in prayer, such as Mark 11:24, but I think that 1 John 5:14-15 gives us a more complete picture of how that actually works (see v14b, in particular).

Last edited:
Reactions: camipls
Upvote 0

camipls

Nov 7, 2023
Buenos Aires
✟1,312.00
Country
Argentina
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you so much for all your replies, you have no idea how much this means to me. She is doing well, still in ICU but improving a lot (some of the doctors said it was a "miracle" that she recovered so fast, praise the Lord:heart:), she might be transferred to a normal room on Tuesday so that they can continue the studies and fix her main issue (some broken vertebrae, got in ICU for other complications that ended up delaying the main diagnosis), but thank you so much for everything, my faith is stronger now, a passage that really carried me through this is Psalms 27,

"Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the Lord"

thank you all <3

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Thank you so much for all your replies, you have no idea how much this means to me. She is doing well, still in ICU but improving a lot (some of the doctors said it was a "miracle" that she recovered so fast, praise the Lord:heart:), she might be transferred to a normal room on Tuesday so that they can continue the studies and fix her main issue (some broken vertebrae, got in ICU for other complications that ended up delaying the main diagnosis), but thank you so much for everything, my faith is stronger now, a passage that really carried me through this is Psalms 27,

"Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the Lord"

thank you all <3
That's great, wonderful news, so glad it is turning around for you, your mom, and your family.

See, I told you none of us knew.

Thanks for giving us the update.

God Bless.

• Friendly
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I think they key rests in this:

“And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him." - Matthew 6:7-8

Therefore you can:

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." - Philippians 4:6

That's really a condensed version of Matthew 6:7-11. Jesus outlined it, Paul practiced it, and passed on the instructions to the Philippian church.

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God bless <3
We have to follow the gospel, and believe what it says! Pray on the scriptures for revelation and guidance.

1 John 3:20-23 KJV
20 “For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.”
21 “Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.”
22 “And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.”
23 “And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.”

The above verses also relate to Matthew 21:21-22 KJV, “And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.”

We all start off with unbelief. We have to work through our unbelief by praying to God to help our unbelief, Mark 9:24 KJV.

Upvote 0

camipls

Nov 7, 2023
Buenos Aires
✟1,312.00
Country
Argentina
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know if anyone will read this, but I'd like to update the post, maybe just to myself and share some thoughts that I have, I don't know.

My mom is not doing well. The doc told us today she's facing another infection (the third one so far, she overcame the first two) and that her defenses are very low, and that her body is barely holding on. They are doing everything they can, but the overall view is not a positive one.

I have come to terms with the fact that my mom might return to Jesus soon. I was born with a skin disease, my family was told by doctors I wouldn't live past a week. I'm 28 years old now. My birth was the reason my family met Jesus. As being a person with a disability, my mom took great care of me, and even until this day, she was very protective and attentive, so losing her might hurt for me a little bit more than to others. I'm not sure how am I going to face life without her, but God is my strength. I still pray for a miracle, I know my hope is not silly in God's eyes, I know he values it more than anything.

A passage from Hebrews 12:1-3 comes to my mind,

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

I see myself running this race with so many brothers and sisters, my mom included. Somehow, God gave her more strength, and she started running ahead of me, carrying her cross. She's approaching the end, she's close to winning the race. So I will not give up, I will not lose faith. I firmly believe Jesus is coming soon, that we are witnessing end times. I will carry my cross until the end, no matter how painful it is, until I can see Jesus with my own eyes again, and reunite with my mom finally.

Thank you everyone who prayed, and asked, and gave me encouragement. Words are lacking right now. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

God bless you all tremendously <3

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,013,150.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Stay strong. Stay positive.

Trust in God. He is mercy and love.

It is through these difficult times that our faith is tested. You are doing an amazing job. Keep turning to God. No matter how hard it gets.

Jesus is carrying you while you are carrying your cross.

God bless you and your mum...

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if anyone will read this, but I'd like to update the post, maybe just to myself and share some thoughts that I have, I don't know.

My mom is not doing well. The doc told us today she's facing another infection (the third one so far, she overcame the first two) and that her defenses are very low, and that her body is barely holding on. They are doing everything they can, but the overall view is not a positive one.

I have come to terms with the fact that my mom might return to Jesus soon. I was born with a skin disease, my family was told by doctors I wouldn't live past a week. I'm 28 years old now. My birth was the reason my family met Jesus. As being a person with a disability, my mom took great care of me, and even until this day, she was very protective and attentive, so losing her might hurt for me a little bit more than to others. I'm not sure how am I going to face life without her, but God is my strength. I still pray for a miracle, I know my hope is not silly in God's eyes, I know he values it more than anything.

A passage from Hebrews 12:1-3 comes to my mind,

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

I see myself running this race with so many brothers and sisters, my mom included. Somehow, God gave her more strength, and she started running ahead of me, carrying her cross. She's approaching the end, she's close to winning the race. So I will not give up, I will not lose faith. I firmly believe Jesus is coming soon, that we are witnessing end times. I will carry my cross until the end, no matter how painful it is, until I can see Jesus with my own eyes again, and reunite with my mom finally.

Thank you everyone who prayed, and asked, and gave me encouragement. Words are lacking right now. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

God bless you all tremendously <3
Your words are not lacking, but very touching. I’m sorry to hear about your mom, and I will pray for her.

Your heartfelt expression of faith in this difficult situation adds encouragement and strength in the lives of others who might also be struggling to hold on to faith in God’s love.

Sometimes these situation calls for resting in our Lord, and trusting Him. When we can calm our entire mind and heart, focus on Jesus, thus allowing the infilling and outpouring of the Holy Spirit, miracles happen.

Daily: Sit in a quiet place and try and calm your worry. Try and put your worry on the Throne of Grace. Go to God in humility, asking for help to put away worry, asking for His help to calm your mind, and direct your thoughts. Ask Him to remove all fear and doubt and ask Him to give you the strength of His faith in you heart. Let your days, during this time, be in silence before the Holy Spirit, and allow Him to work.

God bless you, your mom, and your family!

Upvote 0