Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Our parish priest spends at least 10 minutes at the end of Mass, going over what is on promoting each activity. I don't remember priests in my childhood doing this. Also one priest in particular uses youtube a lot to introduce gospel themes and other themes. I feel our priest has become more like a homeroom teacher than a dispenser of sacraments. That's fine though.

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think your priest is trying to promote more of a community spirit within the parish. I think its good for the life of the congregation.
Oh definitely. Our parish is big. I'd say at least 3 000 parishioners. And the head priest has been there for 10 years and made it grow. He is forever trying to motivate us in different ways. He maintains a youthful enthusiasm which is remarkable.

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Our parish priest spends at least 10 minutes at the end of Mass, going over what is on promoting each activity. I don't remember priests in my childhood doing this. Also one priest in particular uses youtube a lot to introduce gospel themes and other themes. I feel our priest has become more like a homeroom teacher than a dispenser of sacraments. That's fine though.

interesting. we have just the opposite;
5 minutes before mass begins, one of the lectors will welcome newcommers and read the pertinent bulletin announcements. that way there's no confusion between mass and announcements.
maybe your parish could try that way?

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And some of those things are important. We just had a Family Fun Night Bingo which raised funds for the Paul Stefan Home for Unwed Mothers. Very important for the priest to stress going there. A wonderful and worthy cause.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Wow you guys are blessed to have a priest like that. My favorite local priest is a full time high school teacher. I can see how he could relate well with high school kids. He has a gift. The problem is he only preaches as needed to fill in for the regular priest a our local Catholic parish so I never know when he is going to be there.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
5 minutes before mass begins, one of the lectors will welcome newcommers and read the pertinent bulletin announcements. that way there's no confusion between mass and announcements.
Yeah just before "Go in peace to Love and serve the Lord" and final hymn, we get the run down on things like:
-The parish Ball will be Held next Friday. please all come
-Couple celebrating their 25th anniversary, there is special Mass for you next Saturday
-fund raising for the Missions after Mass
-don't forget to stop by for coffee at the "Angelus Café"
-Father John will be visiting our parish next Sunday. make him feel welcome

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Wow you guys are blessed to have a priest like that. My favorite local priest is a full time high school teacher. I can see how he could relate well with high school kids. He has a gift. The problem is he only preaches as needed to fill in for the regular priest a our local Catholic parish so I never know when he is going to be there.
I like the ones who have good humour.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,101.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Our parish changed pastors a few week ago. Our old pastor made it a practice to have all the announcement right before the final blessing. I never really liked the interruption of Mass for 5 minutes of commercials. Our new pastor has moved the announcements to before Mass which I like better.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah I'd like to see the announcements before Mass starts. We early arrivers get rewarded that way.

"Rewarded". ;)

You know, honestly, most parishes put this stuff in their bulletins. Why not just have the priests pick the 3 most important line items to read (maximum) and then say "Be sure to read the rest in the bulletin" or something?

If the announcements are longer than the homily, I'm not sure that's a good thing. ;)

At over 10 minutes every time at your parish, I'd be very tempted to quietly slip out the back door after communion, and I'm the type who'll almost always stay until the processional hymn has concluded under normal circumstances if I attend a mass or a Eucharist somewhere.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I don't think I would care for that. I like it quiet before mass.

When he broke open the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour. (Revelation 8:1)

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It seems common to read announcements after Communion and before the blessing.

As far as you tube goes, you'd have to have screens up on the altar, wouldn't you? That's not common in Catholic churches.

I do think that it's good to relate the Gospel to what's happening in the "real world." To relate faith to life. I don't know whether it takes you tube to do that, just good storytelling.

I belonged to a storytelling group once and heard some amazing storytellers.

Here are some qualities of a good story:

. Simple

Good stories are easy to understand. They're also told in a language that matches the way the intended audience communicates, so they don't need to spend time interpreting and then absorbing. Simplicity also aides in memorability, because the overall lesson is easy to grasp in summary.

2. Emotional
Just like Roy Henry, who experiences the stories he tells as he's telling them, good storytelling requires an emotional component. Most of the memorable ones have humour, pain or joy (sometimes all three). If every story were simply facts stated, one after another, most of us wouldn't listen or remember any of it.

3. Truthful

Not truth in the scientific sense, where there's an objective fact stated, but true insofar as the teller believes in what they're saying and are honest with themselves and their audience about it.

4. Real

Good stories are first-hand experiences the teller actually witnessed. Even if it's a story that's passed on generationally, an effective one still has an element of how that story relates directly to the teller, told in the teller's own words.

5. Valid

Regardless of the audience size, a good story works for any audience. One to one-million. It isn't concerned with how many people can hear it, just that someone, somewhere is listening to it.

http://www.inc.com/paul-jarvis/the-5-common-elements-of-good-storytelling.html

Repetition is good. Expressiveness is good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yeah just before "Go in peace to Love and serve the Lord" and final hymn, we get the run down on things like:
-The parish Ball will be Held next Friday. please all come
-Couple celebrating their 25th anniversary, there is special Mass for you next Saturday
-fund raising for the Missions after Mass
-don't forget to stop by for coffee at the "Angelus Café"
-Father John will be visiting our parish next Sunday. make him feel welcome

On the second Sunday of each month we have the Singing Coffee Guy. Our parish sells Just Coffee which is supports a cooperative of Mexican coffee growers and roasters. It's a great cause, it helps Mexican coffee farmers stay on their farms and not risk a trip across the border and across the desert.

However, after mass and before the final blessing the Singing Coffee Guy sings us Cafe Justo jingle to the tune of some popular Broadway hit, to which everybody enthusiastically applauds. (Except for me. If I'm serving I keep my head down and pray for the reparations of abuse against the liturgy, and I certainly don't applaud. Hrrumph,)

I actually really admire the Singing Coffee Guy. He's a daily masser and used to be a server at daily mass. He volunteers at a local pregnancy center and is a bicycle commuter. But, when it comes to his little diddies at mass, I'd like to choke him. There's no room for that in the liturgy. Grouse, grouse, grouse.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
"Rewarded". ;)

You know, honestly, most parishes put this stuff in their bulletins. Why not just have the priests pick the 3 most important line items to read (maximum) and then say "Be sure to read the rest in the bulletin" or something?
Yep that's what we do and then they add "check your bulletins for all the latest news".

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,101.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think I would care for that. I like it quiet before mass.

30 minutes was the time it took the High Priest to prepare the lamb for sacrifice. Rev 8:1 is certainly a reference to the Divine Liturgy.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Our priests read the whole bulletin, which is projected onto the screen used by the music ministry for hymns. Takes at least 10 minutes. They emphasise some activities over others. In their defence, I will say that each activity gets support and attention because they make sure people notice. If they weren't read out aloud, they may be ignored by some I imagine. This has contributed to a thriving parish in my view.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
before the final blessing the Singing Coffee Guy sings us Cafe Justo jingle to the tune of some popular Broadway hit, to which everybody enthusiastically applauds.
:) Only in America!

Upvote 0