Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
If understand correctly, the main hope offered by Christianity is the promise of eternal bliss after we die in return for following God. What does the Bible say about hope for our lives on earth?
Eternal life begins the moment we are born again. Jesus came to set the captives free. The gospel is Luke 4:18, not pie in the sky when we die. I'm 72. Anyone who knew me 50 years ago would not recognise the person I am now. Sure, life has problems. For unbeliever, problems are mostly unproductive and destructive. For the believer, we have God's assurance that He brings blessing out of our suffering. This world is our training ground for eternity. God is making new people fit for heaven. Some will scrape through, missing out on the rewards that God offers in eternity. Others will accept the discipline of God and be transformed - in this life. I had a life threatening illness. I spent 8 days in hospital. In that time, I received a healing miracle and I was able to witness to a doctor. I was at peace even in the storm of illness. One doctor told me I was not taking it seriously enough! That is entirely due to the grace of God, which really is sufficient.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,921.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Well, we don't want to minimise the great promise of eternal life without evil. Just think about it in very simple terms: What is a lifetime in this world in comparison with an eternity of glory?

Having said this, God has many good promises for us in our earthly lives. As believers, we form a family of believers who are called to love and support one another. This extends to people who don't believe of course. The Church has been a force of good for both believers and unbelievers alike for thousands of years in its compassion for the poor and the needy, in creating hospitals and care centres of various kinds, schools and universities, and standing up for just and fair laws for all. But more than this, we can see God's good promises in the Lord's Prayer, where He regards all believers as His own dear children, and promises to sustain and protect them. And all who believe and are baptised into His name, He gives His Holy Spirit, who produces in us love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. In other words, while we are called to live and serve in a world broken by sin, God promises to be with us and to help us, and ultimately, to abolish all evil and to make all things good.

Perhaps it can be good to add this: The word "hope" in the Bible is often inaccurately understood in English. It's not a hope as in a wish, or as if we were to make a bet and see what the outcome is. No, the Biblical meaning of hope is a sure trust, and the object of hope is Jesus. And He has good promises for us now and for all times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sir Joseph
Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hope for your life on earth is to not hear a word of many false teachers, the forum is incredibly the place to avoid all who speak.

Daniel 11:32
And such as do wickedly against the covenant shall he corrupt by flatteries: but the people that do know their God shall be strong, and do exploits.

Daniel 11:34
Now when they shall fall, they shall be holpen with a little help: but many shall cleave to them with flatteries.

2 Peter 2.1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.

3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

2 Peter 218 For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error.

19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.

Jude 1:16
These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage.

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Not quite. "But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells." 2 Peter 3:13

We are waiting for God's creation, including our physical bodies and this earth, to be made new, transformed and glorified. We're not going to be disembodied spirits floating around with harps (at least I don't think that conception is Biblical), and this earth isn't a piece of trash that will be thrown away, it will be transformed with us by the permeating presence of God.

I also agree with the commenter who said that eternal life starts the moment we are born again. God begins to transform us here and now.

Ultimately God himself is our hope and we can receive him today, if we turn to him.

• Winner
Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0

Pop D.

Sep 23, 2020
Oklahoma
✟163,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Phillipians 4:6

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
speaking without being doers of the word deceives their own selves, belief in jesus christ is that in this body we have, he layed the life of this body down for all, if all we do is live in this same body for only our own lives, how are we showing any belief in how christ lived with his body, for ours.

talk saves and helps nobody, jesus did more, why would anyone hear those who show belief in doing less.

James 1:22
But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟216,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The main hope in eternity is a full reconciliation with God. Look at Genesis before the Fall. We were created for that but in our rebellion aren’t interested in that. Christ restores us to the Father. Someday we will be completely restored to our relationship with him, but the reconciliation starts to happen now for us. The hope is eternal righteousness with God. It’s not eternal bliss, for we can already be blissful here on earth. To many full reconciliation with God sounds boring, or they think they already have it, but for his sheep, that is our longing. It does produce bliss , but it’s much, much more than that, for that is the cause of the bliss.

For our lives on earth, we live in gratitude because of the reconciliation we’re already getting. We hope (eagerly expect) he gives good gifts, & he does. There’s nothing good that doesn’t come from him. Without him no one would have any idea what good is. & what may seem bad to his sheep at the time he is working for his glory, & because we are reconciled to him, our glory.

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the chat on this thread is testimony why many are called but few are chosen.

look at the testimony of gods words, paul is chosen by Jesus to turn people from darkness to light, that they might receive inheritance with them [few] who are sanctified by faith that is in Christ.

Jesus Christ our saviour appeared to all men, to be justified by grace, to be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Acts 26.16 But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;
17 Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee,
18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Titus 34 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,
5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;
7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
8 This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

for the hope of israel ,paul was bound with the chain, because paul obtained mercy from the lord Jesus Christ, that in paul first, Jesus Christ might show the pattern of all longsuffering to those who should after believe on Christ to life everlasting.[ according to the hope of eternal life.]

Acts 28:20
For this cause therefore have I called for you, to see you, and to speak with you: because that for the hope of Israel I am bound with this chain.

1 Timothy 1:16
Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

many are called, but few are chosen, why choose the talk of people, that is not the examples of the faith,[ longsuffering] at all.

Luke 13.23 Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them,
24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.
25 When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are:
26 Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets.
27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity.

Upvote 0

shane50+

Nov 28, 2023
North Brabant
✟5,294.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Married
The main hope in eternity is a full reconciliation with God. Look at Genesis before the Fall. We were created for that but in our rebellion aren’t interested in that. Christ restores us to the Father. Someday we will be completely restored to our relationship with him, but the reconciliation starts to happen now for us. The hope is eternal righteousness with God. It’s not eternal bliss, for we can already be blissful here on earth. To many full reconciliation with God sounds boring, or they think they already have it, but for his sheep, that is our longing. It does produce bliss , but it’s much, much more than that, for that is the cause of the bliss.

For our lives on earth, we live in gratitude because of the reconciliation we’re already getting. We hope (eagerly expect) he gives good gifts, & he does. There’s nothing good that doesn’t come from him. Without him no one would have any idea what good is. & what may seem bad to his sheep at the time he is working for his glory, & because we are reconciled to him, our glory.
Are you saying my belief in the Golden rule (Matthew 7:12) comes from God rather than common sense?

• Friendly
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟216,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Are you saying my belief in the Golden rule (Matthew 7:12) comes from God rather than common sense?
Yes, of course. I could just as easily say the "Golden rule" is no good. Why should I follow it. Many people do say that. Who's right. How do I know a small group of powerful people didn't come together & create that rule & they beat others to mandate that rule & so it's just written by the winners. Can't trust it on its own. Can't stand on its own. Why should I trust you & listen to you when you say that. How do I know you have my best intentions & others intentions when you say that. How do I know how to treat people the way I want to be treated. Sometimes people don't want to be treated 'right.' How do I know people who are doing the Golden Rule are genuine & not just doing it for their own egos. & no one can follow it perfect, why should some get a free pass? How do I know just the powerful aren't getting a free pass.
The "Golden Rule" also isn't so golden b/c it says nada about God. In fact, in the very next verse, Jesus says the road is broad that leads to destruction & the gate wide.
The "Golden Rule" by itself is not gold but worthless

How's this relevant to the OP. Is the OP what you're really so curious about or do you just want to treat others how YOU think they should be treated?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, of course. I could just as easily say the "Golden rule" is no good. Why should I follow it. Many people do say that. Who's right. How do I know a small group of powerful people didn't come together & create that rule & they beat others to mandate that rule & so it's just written by the winners. Can't trust it on its own. Can't stand on its own. Why should I trust you & listen to you when you say that. How do I know you have my best intentions & others intentions when you say that. How do I know how to treat people the way I want to be treated. Sometimes people don't want to be treated 'right.' How do I know people who are doing the Golden Rule are genuine & not just doing it for their own egos. & no one can follow it perfect, why should some get a free pass? How do I know just the powerful aren't getting a free pass.
The "Golden Rule" also isn't so golden b/c it says nada about God. In fact, in the very next verse, Jesus says the road is broad that leads to destruction & the gate wide.
The "Golden Rule" by itself is not gold but worthless

How's this relevant to the OP. Is the OP what you're really so curious about or do you just want to treat others how YOU think they should be treated?
the first way to do unto others as for yourselves, is to recognise Christ fed us with everlasting , feeding the sheep in a good pasture, because that was the meat we didnt know of, and the water which we drink and thirst again from, was not the well of water, springing up in us to life eternal, which Jesus gave to us, meat indeed, and drink indeed.

that is the truly good intentions, it cant be given or received without both being perfectly given freely, and freely received, then you are following what is right, [ the narrow way few find] and you freely give as you received, even to all that are on the wide path to destruction, which we are on ourselves, if we forget it is forgiveness and kindness of our saviour that takes us from there, even at the cost of his humiliation, his sorrow, his death, and rising from the dead again, so we now live as those alive from the dead.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If understand correctly, the main hope offered by Christianity is the promise of eternal bliss after we die in return for following God.

Kinda-sorta, but not entirely accurate. It's true that in Christianity we believe that God is going to set all things to rights and do right by His creation and heal everything, restore everything, and the way God is doing that in/for us is by joining Himself to us that we should partake of God both now and in eternity. But it wouldn't be true that we earn a happy afterlife by following God, as though it were some kind of transaction.

What does the Bible say about hope for our lives on earth?

The union of the eternal and the temporal happens here, right now--God in offering Himself and imparting His life to us as grace means that future life we hope for "leaks" as it were into the present--and following Jesus means not only the opportunity, but the privilege, of loving, caring, serving, and sharing ourselves with our neighbor.

That, to quote St. Paul, "to live is Christ and to die is again", for whether in this life or the next, we are the people of Jesus Christ; offering ourselves in sacrifice to God in Christ, and serving and loving the "least of these".

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟581,108.00
Faith
Christian
Yes it is true Jesus says whoever follows Me shall have the light of life. God sent His Son that whoever believes has everlasting life.

he who believes in the Son has everlasting life and he who believes not the Son shall not see life but the wrath of God abides on him.

Via crucis I know you are well meaning but what you say is not true and you should not teach as is misleading and with all respect as I know you are kind to like to help others still you must repent

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums