Hope and salvation.

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Bible that is used in the liturgy that is current in Australia is called "the CTS new Catholic Bible". It is a slightly modified version of the Jerusalem Bible from the nineteen sixties. It uses "the Lord" instead of Yahweh. And it uses the Grail psalter instead of the Jerusalem Bibles' psalter. I'm telling you this so that you will know the source for the translation that I'm going to quote in a moment.

From the beginning till now, the entire creation, as we know, has been groaning in one great act of giving birth; and not only creation, but all of us who possess the first fruits of the Spirit, we too groan inwardly as we wait for our bodies to be set free. For we must be content to hope that we shall be saved -- our salvation is not yet in sight, we should not have to be hoping for it if it were, but as I say, we must hope to be saved since we are not saved yet, -- it is something we must wait for with patience. [Romans 8:22-25]​
I like the way that he's expressed. It is not the same as what you would read in the revised standard version or the English standard version. But I like it. What do you think?

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible that is used in the liturgy that is current in Australia is called "the CTS new Catholic Bible". It is a slightly modified version of the Jerusalem Bible from the nineteen sixties. It uses "the Lord" instead of Yahweh. And it uses the Grail psalter instead of the Jerusalem Bibles' psalter. I'm telling you this so that you will know the source for the translation that I'm going to quote in a moment.

From the beginning till now, the entire creation, as we know, has been groaning in one great act of giving birth; and not only creation, but all of us who possess the first fruits of the Spirit, we too groan inwardly as we wait for our bodies to be set free. For we must be content to hope that we shall be saved -- our salvation is not yet in sight, we should not have to be hoping for it if it were, but as I say, we must hope to be saved since we are not saved yet, -- it is something we must wait for with patience. [Romans 8:22-25]​
I like the way that he's expressed. It is not the same as what you would read in the revised standard version or the English standard version. But I like it. What do you think?
I used to have the Jerusalem Bible and was fine with it. The translation of this particular passage works fine with me, and sounds good. Makes things pretty understandable, though the underlying thoughts of Paul remain somewhat elusive to me.

It tells me, I think, that the world as we now know it is destined to become something better. We just have to wait for it.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I used to have the Jerusalem Bible and was fine with it. The translation of this particular passage works fine with me, and sounds good. Makes things pretty understandable, though the underlying thoughts of Paul remain somewhat elusive to me.

It tells me, I think, that the world as we now know it is destined to become something better. We just have to wait for it.
Amen. We have to wait. We need to be patient. What God has planned to give to us to his children, is not seen yet. But it will be seen.

Upvote 0