Politics
US-Others
BOOK PICK: ‘Living Beyond Sunday’

Living Beyond Sunday

Making Your Home a Holy Place

By Adam and Haylee Minihan and David and Pamela Niles

Ascension Press, 2022

104 pages, $11.95

To order: LIVING BEYOND SUNDAY - Making Your Home a Holy Place | EWTN Religious Catalogue

On the first full day in our first apartment as newlyweds, I carefully unwrapped the crucifix I inherited from my grandparents, a miniature of the wayside shrines found throughout the Austrian countryside. I placed it on a small white cabinet that my husband and I had designated as our family “altar” beside the diptych icon of Jesus and the Theotokos we had received as a wedding gift. Since that day, we have spent time most mornings and evenings over the last 15 years praying as a couple and a family before this altar, now overflowing with religious images, statues and a first-class relic, offering our joys and sufferings to God. Wherever we have moved, the altar has been placed in a central location in the living room, revealing the truth that our domestic life and space are sacred.

In their book Living Beyond Sunday: Making Your Home a Holy Place, Adam and Haylee Minihan and David and Pamela Niles explain in a very accessible way how to live out this truth in all parts of our family and home life.

They give the basics of making our homes a reflection of the universal Church, explaining: “When we think about it, we live the majority of our faith outside of ‘church,’ in our homes and with our families. If we want to live a truly authentic Christian life, wouldn’t it make sense to make our homes like a ‘church away from church’?”

Continued below.