Holographic Universe

S

Snovi11

Hi Guys,

Just finished watching a few documentaries on Leonard Susskind the well known theoretical physicist.

Now he throws around the multiverse and holographic universe theory around a lot and doesnt see a need for an intelligent creator who has interaction with us via his Son anc Holy Spirit etc.

What is your take on him or those theories. I mean i know they are theories and just as much based on faith as anything else maybe even more so but does it have any substance? If so how does it tie in to God as we know, see and experience him?

Just curious

Thanks all!

MoeSzyslak

Sep 1, 2007
✟15,971.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's not really his theory. I think it was first proposed by David Bohm. It's an interesting theory that tries to explain nonlocality or quantum entanglement. When particles are entangled , the action of one will always instantaneously influence the other in the same or opposite direction, regardless of the distance between the entangled particles. Einstein referred to this as "spooky action at a distance" because according to his theory of relativity nothing can travel, therefore communicate, faster then the speed of light. So if communication can't happen faster then the speed of light than how are these two particulars reacting instantaneously with each other. Proposed Solution: They aren't two particles. They are actually one particle. They are a single film transparency on the overall holograghic universe. It just happens to be 'materializing' in two locations, but the film itself stretches from one end of the universe to the other. (Not just this particle, but each particle is a layer.) There are other theories to explain entanglement. Different Physicist have different theories on it.

I would take exception to a holographic universe excludes a creator. There is a book called, of all things, 'the holographic universe' written by Michael Talbot. (He also wrote mysticism and the new physics.) While he is certainly not Christian, one couldn't call him an atheist either. Some type of eastern mysticism probably. So some people look to a holographic model as evidence of certain things, not evidence against.

My opinion. It probably doesn't matter whether the holographic model is correct or not. If it is correct, it just explains how God made the universe. I'm not a pantheist. God may exist in this world in his energies. But in essence he is transcendant to the universe. It is created. God is not. The holographic model would just explain how he made it. That is all.

Reactions: Kristos
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Since I'm not familiar with these theories I can't specifically answer about them. What I can say, it seems to me I've listened to many scientists say, "they don't see the hand of God", at work in the universe.

My question to scientists is what exactly do they mean by that phrase? How exactly would the "hand of God" show itself to an atheist cosmologist inthe universe and in his theories and experiments? What do they expect to see?

Upvote 0

Winchester

Sep 18, 2014
✟15,298.00
Hi Guys,

Just finished watching a few documentaries on Leonard Susskind the well known theoretical physicist.

Now he throws around the multiverse and holographic universe theory around a lot and doesnt see a need for an intelligent creator who has interaction with us via his Son anc Holy Spirit etc.

What is your take on him or those theories. I mean i know they are theories and just as much based on faith as anything else maybe even more so but does it have any substance? If so how does it tie in to God as we know, see and experience him?

Just curious

Thanks all!

@ Snovi11

Don't worry about such pseudo-theories. Multiverse-models are to almost 100 % mathematical models which has no counterpart in reality or in our universe. They are not even scientific theories in a narrow sense. They are nothing more than hypothesis or mathematical simulations which cannot be proved or falsified with scientific methods. Our naturalistic sciences with their research methods and tools are not able to "look" behind our universe to prove if such multiverses exist or not. The only thing we really know is that our universe has had a beginning.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi Guys,

Now he throws around the multiverse and holographic universe theory around a lot

That is enough to be cautious about.

Multiverse theories are nonsense. If there are two universes, for example, what is it that is between them and separating them from each other?

If it is something, it does then not actually separate them into two but actually joins them into one doesn't it. Meaning that they are both part of the same, single, continuum and not 2 things after all.

If however it is nothing that separates them, well, nothing doesn't actually exist does it. If there really is nothing between 2 things, they are not separated at all are they (as to be separate there would have to be something between them, not nothing between them).

Beware ivory-tower physicists. They blow arcane bubbles out of their windows to fool people into throwing food and gold back to them. :)

Upvote 0

Winchester

Sep 18, 2014
✟15,298.00
Beware ivory-tower physicists. They blow arcane bubbles out of their windows to fool people into throwing food and gold back to them. :)

This is so true. People read this stuff and accept these ideas only because some scientists try to give their wild imaginations a scientific look before they are able even to prove or falsify their assertions. This is just blind faith in scientism and nothing more.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,275.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I would take exception to a holographic universe excludes a creator. There is a book called, of all things, 'the holographic universe' written by Michael Talbot. (He also wrote mysticism and the new physics.) While he is certainly not Christian, one couldn't call him an atheist either. Some type of eastern mysticism probably. So some people look to a holographic model as evidence of certain things, not evidence against.

I've read that book. Pretty unimpressive, IMO. Basic assertion that everything's a hologram with no substance backing it up. If I recall he claims Jesus' miracles were merely holographic.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've read that book. Pretty unimpressive, IMO. Basic assertion that everything's a hologram with no substance backing it up. If I recall he claims Jesus' miracles were merely holographic.

sounds like a modern spin on that old dualist, gnostic garbage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Awesome help guys!! Much appreciated for all the answers

I missed the thread (not on the main page for a while) and I wouldn't have had much to say that I can back up (it just sounds nonsensical to me) but I would like to say,

Welcome to CF, and to TAW!

I'm glad the answers you received were helpful to you. :)

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hi Guys,

Just curious

Thanks all!

Another angle on this is that Messiah Yeshua - Jesus is free to take an agnostic or atheist by the right hand and guide them through life. Read Isaiah 45:1, 4, 5 for verification for this.

BLB - Isa 45: The Major Prophet Isaiah 45 (Blue Letter Bible: KJV - King James Version)

Isa 45:1
¶Thus saith the LORD to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I have holden, to subdue nations before him; and I will loose the loins of kings, to open before him the two leaved gates; and the gates shall not be shut;

Isa 45:4
For Jacob my servant's sake, and Israel mine elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have surnamed thee, though thou hast not known me.

Here is a nifty quotation from Dr. Albert Einstein that I am sure you will enjoy:

Water: The Great Mystery (2006) - Top Documentary Films

Einstein later said, "Everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble."

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is free to take an agnostic or atheist by the right hand and guide them through life.

well, He does, but He does not lead them to think that He is not out there. He might not reveal Himself right away for whatever reason, but to think that there is some multiverse without God is not something God would guide someone to.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
well, He does, but He does not lead them to think that He is not out there. He might not reveal Himself right away for whatever reason, but to think that there is some multiverse without God is not something God would guide someone to.

True!

But...… somebody with a genuine Cyrus calling, destiny, gifting, mantle.... whatever it could be called..... might go through a phase where they were somewhat stuck in that idea.

If you search for the name...."Eporu Ronald Alfred" in this forum you will find one of the most insightful writings on the idea of God raising up another Cyrus type political leader at this time that I have ever read.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But...… somebody with a genuine Cyrus calling, destiny, gifting, mantle.... whatever it could be called..... might go through a phase where they were somewhat stuck in that idea.

yeah, but that's not God keeping them there, more Him allowing them to stay there for whatever purpose He knows. and it is so that He ultimately can come to reveal Himself to them.
If you search for the name...."Eporu Ronald Alfred" in this forum you will find one of the most insightful writings on the idea of God raising up another Cyrus type political leader at this time that I have ever read.

I tend to not stray from TAW, but feel free to fill me in on the details. I ma sure it is a cool story

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
yeah, but that's not God keeping them there, more Him allowing them to stay there for whatever purpose He knows. and it is so that He ultimately can come to reveal Himself to them.

I tend to not stray from TAW, but feel free to fill me in on the details. I ma sure it is a cool story

Basically..... a man from Uganda who I am fairly certain had a near death experience during a bout with malaria is predicting the fulfillment of Isaiah chapter 45 during our time period. He predicts that this begins an outpouring of the Holy Spirit far greater than what was experienced in the Book of Acts.

post #15 on this page includes the entire writing:

http://www.christianforums.com/t7829264-2/
Pray that P. M. Stephen Harper initiate a peace deal between Jordan and Israel?

Upvote 0