Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My fiance and I call our little "Charlie Brown" tree (LOL) a Holiday Tree, only because we enjoy its festive appearance, but we don't observe "Christmas". We observe Yule, so we don't really place alot of emphasis on the Christian aspect of the holiday.

Upvote 0
Oct 23, 2005
North Carolina
✟16,663.00
Faith
Christian
KatAutumn said:
My fiance and I call our little "Charlie Brown" tree (LOL) a Holiday Tree, only because we enjoy its festive appearance, but we don't observe "Christmas". We observe Yule, so we don't really place alot of emphasis on the Christian aspect of the holiday.

Whats Yule?

Upvote 0

meebs

The dev!l loves rock and roll
Aug 17, 2004
Alpha Quadrant
Visit site
✟17,879.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
tocis said:
Yuletide tree :D

i like that one! :D

besides it would send my mother crazy - shes christian, so this year they were doing stickers to put on the cards (mass production ;) ) so i suggested they put, "have a pagan christmas".

didnt go down to well :p

(ps: im not really making fun of christianity - just doing it to get effect from my mum)

Upvote 0

Moros

Jan 1, 2004
✟22,337.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Paganism. Doesn't matter in your context. Oh by the way, your God hates them:

Jer 10:2 Thus saith the Lord: Learn not according to the ways of the Gentiles: and be not afraid of the signs of heaven, which the heathens fear:
Jer 10:3 For the laws of the people are vain: for the works of the hand of the workman hath cut a tree out of the forest with an axe.
Jer 10:4 He hath decked it with silver and gold: he hath put it together with nails and hammers, that it may not fall asunder.

:D

Upvote 0

SallyNow

Blame it on the SOCK GNOMES!
May 14, 2004
Canada
✟18,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I say Christmas tree, because that is what they have become. An evergreen with colourful or white lights or candles, matching or mismatched decorations, and something splashy or filled with memories perched on top: it's a Christmas tree.

Now, if you just string up a bunch of lights up your Maple tree outside because it looks stark without 'em, that's a holiday tree. It's not an evergreen, it hasn't got any decorations that you just can't part with, and it can't have something on top because the crows would take it. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

meebs

The dev!l loves rock and roll
Aug 17, 2004
Alpha Quadrant
Visit site
✟17,879.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
reina23 said:
It is a Christmas Tree. People are getting too crazy with the "politically correct" crap. I doubt people of other religions care if it is called a Christmas tree.

most generally dont, some even complain about being too PC.

Upvote 0

feral

Dostoyevsky was right
Jan 8, 2003
✟12,716.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I'm agnostic, but I always call them Christmas trees - not with any particular reverence, just because that's what they are called in my family and because I don't associate them with any other holiday but Christmas. Of course, what "Christmas" means is pretty subject to interpretation, and I'm aware of the fact that dressing up an evergreen isn't a Christian thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gwenmead

On walkabout
Jun 2, 2005
Seattle
✟10,642.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Huh. I never really thought much about what I and my family always called our tree, but it occurs to me now that more often than not we just called it "the tree". As in, I'll call them up to chat 'round about early December and ask, "Did you guys get your tree yet?" Or when I was growing up my mom'd have us all pile in the car "because we're going to go get our tree now". Or "let's decorate the tree".

So I guess it was just "tree" most of the time, and time of year offered context. Although I'm thinking that when there was some kind of designation we always called it a Christmas tree.

Spouse and I often call our current tree our "Dollar Store tree". Because we picked it up our first Christmas together and we were so broke all we could afford was a tacky little 18" wire-frame tree with plastic needles and little 50-cent packs of 8 to 12 teeny ornaments each. I think we spent all of five bucks on the whole thing and we've put it up ever since - and probably will continue to put it up, even after we have better income and a larger house.

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
reina23 said:
It is a Christmas Tree. People are getting too crazy with the "politically correct" crap. I doubt people of other religions care if it is called a Christmas tree.

No one I know of is going crazy with PC crap. I'm an atheist and I call it a Christmas tree. I think the "PC crap" is just a strawman the Religious Right conjured up to make people "scared" that Christmas is under attack.

Upvote 0

reina23

Dec 9, 2005
Florida
Visit site
✟8,048.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
No one I know of is going crazy with PC crap. I'm an atheist and I call it a Christmas tree. I think the "PC crap" is just a strawman the Religious Right conjured up to make people "scared" that Christmas is under attack.

People around where I live sure are getting crazy with it.

Upvote 0