History - The Frame Of Reference - Jesus Christ

...continued...

[7.] Many people were examined, and we see at least three types of people. The true Christian, the non-Christian, and the Christian in name only, who either had fallen away at some point, or who once persecuted, turned back, or reneged, etc. When it was made known of these things, accusations and “many criminal charges occurred and spread themselves abroad”, that even “A pamphlet was published anonymously, containing the names of many.” Also it is said, that others were turned in by others, “Others named by an informer...” This, Christ Jesus said would happen (Matthew 24:9-10; Mark 13:11-12 *d). Christianity was easily the scapegoat for the problems of Rome, for the populace and their enemies [even go so far as naming someone as a Christian, in the hopes of possibly eliminating an enemy!], even as they had been in the days of the Nero Caesar. We notice that Pliny remarks of that which was rumored to be known of the True Christian which differentiated them from those who were not, “...when they swore before me, called on the gods and offered incense and wine to your image (which I had ordered brought in for this [purpose], along with images of the gods), and also cursed Christ (which, it is said, it is impossible to force those who are real Christians to do) I thought worthy to be acquitted. Others named by an informer, said they had been Christians, but now denied [it]; certainly they had been, but had lapsed, some three years ago, some more; and more than one [lit. not nobody] over twenty years ago. These all worshiped both your image and the images of the gods and cursed Christ.”

[8.] Pliny [the Younger] even gives specific details as to what these Christians believed and practiced, and we can know the information gathered was most accurate of the true Christians, for it was gained under intense scrutiny [“torture”], in that they were known to “...sing to Christ as if he were a god, and that they took an oath not to involve themselves in villainy, but rather to commit no theft, no fraud, no adultery; not to break faith, nor to deny money placed with them in trust. Once these things were done, it was their custom to part and return later to eat a meal together, innocently...”, and we can see evidence of this directly from the scriptures (Acts 2:46, 5:42, 10:22,32, 16:25, 20:20; Romans 13:9, etc *e).

Upvote 0
History - the Frame of Reference Part 4c... – Jesus, The Christ

References of the Bible above:

[*a]: And as they bound him with thongs, Paul said unto the centurion that stood by, Is it lawful for you to scourge a man that is a Roman, and uncondemned? Acts 22:25

When the centurion heard [that], he went and told the chief captain, saying, Take heed what thou doest: for this man is a Roman.
Acts 22:26

Then the chief captain came, and said unto him, Tell me, art thou a Roman? He said, Yea.
Acts 22:27

And the chief captain answered, With a great sum obtained I this freedom. And Paul said, But I was [free] born.
Acts 22:28

Then straightway they departed from him which should have examined him: and the chief captain also was afraid, after he knew that he was a Roman, and because he had bound him.
Acts 22:29

[*b]: And saying, Sirs, why do ye these things? We also are men of like passions with you, and preach unto you that ye should turn from these vanities unto the living God, which made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all things that are therein: Acts 14:15

So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.
Romans 1:15

[*c]: And they worshipped him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy: Luke 24:52

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John 1:1

The same was in the beginning with God.
John 1:2

All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
John 1:3

In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
John 1:4

And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
John 1:5

There was a man sent from God, whose name [was] John.
John 1:6

The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all [men] through him might believe.
John 1:7

He was not that Light, but [was sent] to bear witness of that Light.
John 1:8

[That] was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
John 1:9

He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
John 1:10

He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
John 1:11

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name:
John 1:12

Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
John 1:13

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
John 1:14

John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.
John 1:15

And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.
John 1:16

For the law was given by Moses, [but] grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
John 1:17

No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared [him].
John 1:18

etc...

[*d]: Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake. Matthew 24:9

And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
Matthew 24:10

But when they shall lead [you], and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost.
Mark 13:11

Now the brother shall betray the brother to death, and the father the son; and children shall rise up against [their] parents, and shall cause them to be put to death.
Mark 13:12

[*e]: And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, Acts 2:46

And they said, Cornelius the centurion, a just man, and one that feareth God, and of good report among all the nation of the Jews, was warned from God by an holy angel to send for thee into his house, and to hear words of thee.
Acts 10:22

Send therefore to Joppa, and call hither Simon, whose surname is Peter; he is lodged in the house of [one] Simon a tanner by the sea side: who, when he cometh, shall speak unto thee.
Acts 10:32

And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.
Acts 16:25

[And] how I kept back nothing that was profitable [unto you], but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,
Acts 20:20

For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if [there be] any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Romans 13:9

etc...

Upvote 0
...a small break from looking at Christ Jesus, but we will come back to Him in a bit...

...for many more Historical references on Jesus, Christians, Christianity, etc, please consider the following, and also has helpful answers to questions commonly asked:

[Link] The Historicity of Jesus Christ: Did Jesus really exist? [Link]

...a small video break...

...more Historical and Archeological evidence...

Archeology, Digging For The Truth Of The Bible:
Archaeology Digging for the Truth of the Bible - Dr. Don Patton - YouTube

Proof For The Bible, The Dead Sea Scrolls:

Proof for the Bible ''The dead sea scrolls Dr.Patton Ph.D - YouTube

...the Books of Isaiah and Daniel - Vindicated, The Dead Sea Scrolls Online:
Digital Dead Sea Scrolls

Qumran; Daniel:

[Scroll] 1 Q Dan A (1Q71) - [Range] Dan 1:10–17; 2:2–6. These confirm the langauge shift from Hebrew to Aramaic, but omits the phrase ‘in Aramaic’ at 2:4.1

[Scroll] 1 Q Dan B (1Q72) - [Range] Dan 3:22–30; Four fragments on vellum in Aramaic; and confirms the absence of the apocryphal "Prayer of Azariah and Song of the Three Men."

[Scroll] 4 Q Dan A (4Q112) - [Range] Dan 1:16–2:33; 4:29–30; 5:5–7; 7:25–8:5; 10:16–20; 11:13–16. Some portions of these verses are incomplete.

[Scroll] 4 Q Dan B (4Q113) - [Range] Dan 5:10–12, 14–16, 19–22; 6:8–22, 27–29; 7:1–6, 26–28; 8:1–8, 13–16.These confirm the language shift from Aramaic to Hebrew.

[Scroll] 4 Q Dan C (4Q114) - [Range] Dan 10:5–9, 11–16, 21; 11:1–2, 13–17, 25–29.
These, the oldest known text of Daniel.

[Scroll] 4 Q Dan D (4Q115) - [Range] Dan 3:23–25; 4:5?–9; 4:12–14. The largest of these fragments contain five partial lines in severe decay.

[Scroll] 4 Q Dan E (4Q116) - [Range] Dan. 9:12–14?, 15–16?, 17?… There are five small fragments of chapter nine.

[Scroll] 6 Q Dan A (6Q7) [aka pap 6 Q Dan] - [Range] Dan 8:16, 17, 20, 21; 10:8–16, 11:33–36, 38. The cave in which these were found contained papyrus manuscripts rather than leather parchment.

The reason that these are important, not only for their historic value [and further validation of the continuity and faithfulness of the scriptures], but also for their validation of the prophetic. Christ Jesus mentions Daniel the Prophet by name:

When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand: ) Matthew 24:15

But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains. Mark 13:14

...while Daniel foretells successive Kingdoms [verified by historical record] even unto the end, unto the consumation of this world, final judgment and the Eternal Kingdom, and so also speaks of the Advents [comings] of Christ [Jesus] - Daniel 9:24-27; etc; Isaiah speaking of the same [throughout, Chapter 53, etc].

One further, and even a primary, way to test the scriptures, in its historical context, is in its very prophetic content:

Remember the former things of old: for I [am] God, and [there is] none else; [I am] God, and [there is] none like me, Isaiah 46:9

Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times [the things] that are not [yet] done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure: Isaiah 46:10

The Forgotten Dream:
The Forgotten Dream - YouTube

...and now for some further historical validation... Roman Emperors and the Scripture.

Upvote 0