Hinduism - From no. 3 to no. 1 in future?

ander_cool

Oct 10, 2004
✟15,505.00
Faith
Humanist
Politics
US-Democrat
For the thousands of foreigners who are visiting the Ardh Kumbh mela, they have not just adopted a new religion.

They have also taken on new names and new identities.
At the mela grounds, we come across an English woman who goes by the name of Ganga Devi. Ganga is the Hindi name for river Ganges.
_42469147_gangadevi.jpg

Ganga Devi has been a Hindu nun for 10 years

"I have been a sanyasin (Hindu nun) for ten years," she says.
She's just taken a holy dip in the Ganges. How does it feel?
"Coming out of the Ganga, I felt very clean. Not just the body, a dip here also cleanses your inside. It's wonderful that such festivals are still held. With these festivals, world is a better place," she says.
We ask Australian Jasraj Puri what his real name is. "It's been washed away along with my sins into the Ganges and now has gone into the Bay of Bengal," he jokes.
For this physiotherapist who worked in Australia and Britain before a search for something more meaningful - "inner happiness", as he says - brought him to India ten years ago.
He joined an ashram and has made Rajasthan his home.
"I'm visiting the mela to have a dip in the river and hear the saints, the holy men. Get their blessing," he says.
But you've heard them many times. Don't they repeat the same things all the time?
"Yes, but we never understand. Do we?," he asks.
We still don't know what his real name is.
Until a few years ago, foreigners coming for a dip in the Ganges were a rare sight.
Today, special tour groups are organised for them and special camps are set up for them at the mela grounds.
_42469151_jaspuri.jpg

Jasraj Puri is looking for 'inner happiness'

Here, one can hear myriad accents - from Italian to Japanese to American to British to French to Australian. You name it, they are all there.
Some have even joined the ranks of the Naga sadhus.
We saw some European women who were part of the largest and most dreaded Naga camp - the Juna akhara.
An official for Juna akhara told us they have a couple of hundred foreigners in their group.
Unlike the men in this camp who go naked, these women were wrapped in saffron robes.
07:50 GMT, Allahabad

Hinduism's Kumbh mela is 35 times bigger than Islamic Hajj festival, New age movments are nothing but roads which are taking millions towards Hinduism with every passing day, increased presence of Hindu Gurus, Ashrams and Temples worlwide and the way soul of Hinduism- "Yoga" has become an essential part of the life of millions in western nations shows nothing but this ancient and still billion strong religion is spreading silently and peacefully without making any noises and conversion attempts.

What do you think, what will be the shape of religious nature of this century?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6276827.stm

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think it is just as difficult to make predictions about the future of religions as it is about the future of technology.

But it does seem that Hinduism is attractive to some spiritually seeking Westerners who are disappointed with Christianity. My brother-in-law, a Swede, is a yoga teacher.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Maria_adams

Oct 10, 2004
✟296.00
Faith
Hindu
Hinduism is really becoming a force in usa today. It started with immigration and has now started influencing lives of the americans (me included!). Hindus today are most successful and richest ethnic community in both usa and britain because of which Hindu temples and religious activities are increasing in these countries.

But i believe Hinduism will never aim to convert formally (thats a goodluck of christianity!). Hinduism is spreading not because Hinduism is converting people formally but without converting Hindu basics like reincarnation, law of karma, yoga, ayurveda are spreading like a wild fire.

As far as Kumbh mela is concerned, it is nothing but an unbelievable wonder! 70 million at one place for a religious gathering of an oldest religion. ^_^

Upvote 0

sefroth77

May 20, 2005
✟1,387.00
Faith
Other Religion
For the thousands of foreigners who are visiting the Ardh Kumbh mela, they have not just adopted a new religion.

They have also taken on new names and new identities.
At the mela grounds, we come across an English woman who goes by the name of Ganga Devi. Ganga is the Hindi name for river Ganges.
_42469147_gangadevi.jpg

Ganga Devi has been a Hindu nun for 10 years

"I have been a sanyasin (Hindu nun) for ten years," she says.
She's just taken a holy dip in the Ganges. How does it feel?
"Coming out of the Ganga, I felt very clean. Not just the body, a dip here also cleanses your inside. It's wonderful that such festivals are still held. With these festivals, world is a better place," she says.
We ask Australian Jasraj Puri what his real name is. "It's been washed away along with my sins into the Ganges and now has gone into the Bay of Bengal," he jokes.
For this physiotherapist who worked in Australia and Britain before a search for something more meaningful - "inner happiness", as he says - brought him to India ten years ago.
He joined an ashram and has made Rajasthan his home.
"I'm visiting the mela to have a dip in the river and hear the saints, the holy men. Get their blessing," he says.
But you've heard them many times. Don't they repeat the same things all the time?
"Yes, but we never understand. Do we?," he asks.
We still don't know what his real name is.
Until a few years ago, foreigners coming for a dip in the Ganges were a rare sight.
Today, special tour groups are organised for them and special camps are set up for them at the mela grounds.
_42469151_jaspuri.jpg

Jasraj Puri is looking for 'inner happiness'

Here, one can hear myriad accents - from Italian to Japanese to American to British to French to Australian. You name it, they are all there.
Some have even joined the ranks of the Naga sadhus.
We saw some European women who were part of the largest and most dreaded Naga camp - the Juna akhara.
An official for Juna akhara told us they have a couple of hundred foreigners in their group.
Unlike the men in this camp who go naked, these women were wrapped in saffron robes.
07:50 GMT, Allahabad

Hinduism's Kumbh mela is 35 times bigger than Islamic Hajj festival, New age movments are nothing but roads which are taking millions towards Hinduism with every passing day, increased presence of Hindu Gurus, Ashrams and Temples worlwide and the way soul of Hinduism- "Yoga" has become an essential part of the life of millions in western nations shows nothing but this ancient and still billion strong religion is spreading silently and peacefully without making any noises and conversion attempts.

What do you think, what will be the shape of religious nature of this century?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6276827.stm

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Futuwwa

Feb 8, 2006
✟5,284.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Making wild extrapolations of current growth rates is an absolute no-no in sociology. Regardless of how much I would appreciate it, I put little stock in the "Europe will have an Islamic majority by year X" predictions put forward from time to time, usually by scaremongers and right-wing populists.

Upvote 0

baobobtree

Aum Namah Shivaya
Dec 18, 2006
The Material World.
✟8,359.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
I highly doubt Hinduism will become the most practiced religions in the next couple of years. For although things like karma, yoga and meditation are becoming very popular in this current day and age, these things are being applied to others religions like Christianity or Judaism, not causing more people to convert to Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism or Hare Krishna. If anything Atheism or Islam will become the next most practiced religion.

Upvote 0

Rusticus

Jul 2, 2005
✟8,990.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
......... If anything Atheism or Islam will become the next most practiced religion.

I have to agree with you on that score.

Atheism already is the most practiced religion (or "secularism", if we wish to call it by another name).

And, on another note, it is worth considering that the current "showdown" between Islam and "The West" is not so much a showdown between Islam and Christianity, but between Islam and Secularism (or between Secularism and Islam, depending on one's point of view).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have to agree with you on that score.

Atheism already is the most practiced religion (or "secularism", if we wish to call it by another name)

Your source for this?

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

baobobtree

Aum Namah Shivaya
Dec 18, 2006
The Material World.
✟8,359.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
Those are the people who prefer error instead of truth and call upon false man-made idol-Gods that they themselves have created.
And of course we all know Muslims have more evidence that their concept of god is right, then Hindus do. *eyeroll*

Upvote 0

Raul7

Feb 12, 2007
✟15,623.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
And of course we all know Muslims have more evidence that their concept of god is right, then Hindus do. *eyeroll*

Those you call on besides Allah are servants just like yourselves. Call on them and let them respond to you if you are telling the truth. Do they have legs they can walk with? Do they have hands they can grasp with? Do they have eyes they can see with? Do they have ears they can hear with? Say: "Call on your partner-gods and try all your wiles against me and grant me no reprieve." (Surat al-A'raf: 194-195)

Do it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JGL53

Senior Veteran
Dec 25, 2005
Mississippi
✟14,276.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Those you call on besides Allah are servants just like yourselves. Call on them and let them respond to you if you are telling the truth. Do they have legs they can walk with? Do they have hands they can grasp with? Do they have eyes they can see with? Do they have ears they can hear with? Say: "Call on your partner-gods and try all your wiles against me and grant me no reprieve." (Surat al-A'raf: 194-195)

Do it.

If I am going to ignore preaching and scripture quoting - and I always do - I prefer to ignore the preaching and scripture quoting of Christians.

But thanks for your sincerity. That's a good place to start.

Upvote 0

sefroth77

May 20, 2005
✟1,387.00
Faith
Other Religion
Those are the people who prefer error instead of truth and call upon false man-made idol-Gods that they themselves have created.

If you do not know about Hindusim don't comment. If want to debate Islam against the Vedas(Hindusim) bring it on. I am willing to challenge you.

Show me one verse in the Quran which talks about other planets or just one verse which says about the Universe. I challenge you.

This your Quran,
Till, when he reached the setting-place of the sun, he found it setting in a muddy spring, and found a people thereabout. We said: O Dhu'l-Qarneyn! Either punish or show them kindness.(Quran 18,86)

A Sun with a setting place ?? Islamist taught that the Sun revolves around the Earth.

While the Vedas talks about the Earth revolving around the Sun.

The Sun does never set nor rise. When people think the Sun is setting it is not so. For after having arrived at the end of the day it makes itself produce two opposite effects, making night to what is below and day to what is on the other sideHaving reached the end of the night, it makes itself produce two opposite effects, making day to what is below and night to what is on the other side. In fact, the Sun never sets.( Aitareya Brahmana (3.44)

This simple notion is enough to compare Islam with Sanatana Dharma(Hindusim).

I challenge you to show me one verse which says that the Earth revolves around the Sun.

Hare Krishna
Wailukum Saalam

Upvote 0

Raul7

Feb 12, 2007
✟15,623.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
If you do not know about Hindusim don't comment. If want to debate Islam against the Vedas(Hindusim) bring it on. I am willing to challenge you.

Show me one verse in the Quran which talks about other planets or just one verse which says about the Universe. I challenge you.

This your Quran,
Till, when he reached the setting-place of the sun, he found it setting in a muddy spring, and found a people thereabout. We said: O Dhu'l-Qarneyn! Either punish or show them kindness.(Quran 18,86)

A Sun with a setting place ?? Islamist taught that the Sun revolves around the Earth.

While the Vedas talks about the Earth revolving around the Sun.

The Sun does never set nor rise. When people think the Sun is setting it is not so. For after having arrived at the end of the day it makes itself produce two opposite effects, making night to what is below and day to what is on the other sideHaving reached the end of the night, it makes itself produce two opposite effects, making day to what is below and night to what is on the other side. In fact, the Sun never sets.( Aitareya Brahmana (3.44)

This simple notion is enough to compare Islam with Sanatana Dharma(Hindusim).

I challenge you to show me one verse which says that the Earth revolves around the Sun.

Hare Krishna
Wailukum Saalam

I responded to your PM.

Upvote 0

JGL53

Senior Veteran
Dec 25, 2005
Mississippi
✟14,276.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would be interested in knowing how both followers of Islam and followers of Vedic philosophy view the concept of an eternal place of torment for unrepentant "sinners" or the "unsaved" or "unbelievers".

It is my present understanding that the Quran contains dozens of references to an eternal hell, but that the Hindu tradition only speaks of various hells as limited in time.

The Christian bible seems to clearly teach that such a place exists, though so-called liberal, progressive or modernistic Christians reinterpret hell into something less horrifying. The anti-hell idea seems to be the majority today, but only slightly.

Upvote 0

baobobtree

Aum Namah Shivaya
Dec 18, 2006
The Material World.
✟8,359.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
I would be interested in knowing how both followers of Islam and followers of Vedic philosophy view the concept of an eternal place of torment for unrepentant "sinners" or the "unsaved" or "unbelievers".

It is my present understanding that the Quran contains dozens of references to an eternal hell, but that the Hindu tradition only speaks of various hells as limited in time.

The Christian bible seems to clearly teach that such a place exists, though so-called liberal, progressive or modernistic Christians reinterpret hell into something less horrifying. The anti-hell idea seems to be the majority today, but only slightly.
Yes, in the Hindu tradition, one must preform very sinful acts to end up in Naraka, and even then the time spent there is very limited, before the soul leaves Naraka and is once again reincarnated. And, no belonging to a different religion then Hinduism is not one of these sinful acts that will cause someone to end up in Naraka.

Upvote 0