Michigan
✟328,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Recently I was told that Romans 14 is a chapter of the Bible that forbids believers from making judgment regarding the actions or practices of others they have already Judged as "Weak in Faith". I know, it's goofy. But a lot of folks have been convinced of this by this world's religions it seems. Or at least that was premise.

While I agree that just because someone may have a different preference regarding days or eating habits, if it's not a Sin according to God, then why cause them to stumble? Doing so would certainly not edify them or God's Church. If a man is a Vegan, and I am not, so what? If he believes meat is unclean, to him it is unclean and there is no Sin, according to God, to not eat meat. It would be wrong for me to rub his face in my preference, to eat meat. And perhaps a brother esteems 4th of July above July 1st. So what? Is it a Sin, according to God, to esteem this day above another? And what if they didn't esteem this day above another? As long as they are repentant and striving against Sin, we should not place a stumbling block before them.

As Paul says "Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

What does it mean to fall? To Sin, Yes? So we should not give occasion to SIN in our brothers way.

But it seems "many", who come in Christ's Name, promote to others that Paul is teaching here that if a man, judged as weak in the faith, "Sins" or Transgresses God's Commandments, we are not to make a judgment. Which goes against the entire Bible, including Paul's own words in other places, in my view. So I thought it prudent to make a thread about this chapter for review and discussion, just you, me and God's Word.

1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.

"Doubtful" = feeling uncertain about something:

"Disputations" = debate or argument:

2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. 3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. 4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

Now there are some who teach this is talking about a believer eating blood, slugs, swine's flesh, or other things that God has esteemed as "Unclean".

But Paul along with other Disciples of Christ, has already judged and told New Converts, "Weak in the Faith", who were partaking in the consumption of "Unclean meat" to "Abstain" from such a behavior in Act's 15.

I don't believe Paul teaches one group of people, "weak in the faith" something different than another group of people, "weak in the faith". I don't think Paul teaches any man to Transgress God's Commandments.

There is no sin in eating just herbs, nor is there sin in eating meat. I posted an experience I once had.

A perfect example of this was the Jews religious tradition of not eating goat meat, if milk was on the table. Citing Ex. 23.

"19 The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring into the house of the LORD thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk."

This morphed into a Jewish religious tradition even to this day, that teaches that meat becomes unclean if milk is served on the same table. I once had quite a discussion with a Rabbi who believed Jesus was the Messiah. To him the milk made the meat unclean. I asked him about the practice of Abraham.

Gen. 18: 8 And he took butter, and milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them; and he stood by them under the tree, and they did eat.

He told me that in his religious tradition, God's Laws all changed with Moses.

And it wasn't like the Rabbi was serving slugs or swine's flesh or committing fornication that was known to be esteemed by God as unclean. So there was no need to make a big deal about it. This is the kind of things Paul was speaking to, in my view.

15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.

16 Let not then your good be evil spoken of:

There are a lot more important things for a new believer to be concerned with. It would be wrong for me to serve both milk and meat at the same table with this man who is weak in faith. Even though there is no sin in eating either one. To him it was unclean. As he grows in the knowledge of God, he will learn God's truth. I should not get in God's way.

17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but "righteousness", and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

But if the weak in the flesh's tradition was to eat meat that has been strangled, making it Biblically unclean, or if they were promoting that men should eat an animal or animal part, like Blood, that God has Esteemed "unclean", or if the weak in faith practiced fornication, that is a different story altogether.

If God's Commandment teaches not to commit adultery, and the man "weak in faith" is promoting fornication, Paul and the Apostles would make a judgment and tell them to abstain from such a behavior.

If they were eating Blood, or animals that were strangled, which kept the blood in them, making them unclean according to God. Paul and the Apostles would have told them to Abstain from such behavior. Because the Kingdom of God includes God's Righteousness, and Jesus said we should seek that first to show us what we shall eat, and drink.
Matt. 6: 31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? 32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Or as Paul teaches in Rom. 14, "Let each man by fully convinced in his own mind".

The point being, Romans 14 does not forbid a brother from judging the difference between preference and Sin. It encourages us to know the difference.

Last edited: