Hillsong: A Megachurch Exposed’ Docuseries to Air New Fourth Episode on TLC, Reveals First Look (EXCLUSIVE)

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
After the success for Discovery+ of the three-part documentary “Hillsong: A Megachurch Exposed” earlier this year, sibling network TLC will air the series on linear cable for the first time, and will add a fourth episode, “Hillsong: The Newest Revelations.”

The docuseries will air over two nights on Dec. 28 and Dec. 29, with “Hillsong: The Newest Revelations” premiering on TLC at 10 p.m. on the second night.

According to the announcement, “The brand-new hour on TLC will explore the most recent developments surrounding the Hillsong Church, including how the bombshell claims revealed in the docuseries have rocked the church and its members. The episode will offer new expert perspectives and uncover even more shocking details with added context.”

Variety can unveil the new episode’s cold open above, which reflects the aftereffects of “Hillsong: A Megachurch Exposed.” One woman says, “Once the documentary actually got released, it just opened a floodgate of conversation.” Another says: “I started to kind of panic — I was starting to worry I was in a cult.”

The talking heads in Episode 4 will be:

• Roxanne Stone — Managing Editor of Religious News Service, Co-Host of Saved by the City Podcast
  • Leonardo Blair — Senior Features Reporter at the Christian Post
  • Allen Parr – Minister and Host of The BEAT YouTube Channel
  • Alec Spencer – Lawyer and former Executive Director of Assemblies of God Churches
  • Joyana Santini – Former Hillsong college student and NYC church member
  • Joe Sanders – Former Hillsong college student
“Hillsong: A Megachurch Exposed” premiered on Discovery+ on March 24. The series is an investigation into the church that attracted celebrity congregants such as Justin and Hailey Bieber, Kevin Durant, and Kylie and Kendall Jenner. The docuseries especially examined the downfall of Hillsong’s charismatic pastor, Carl Lentz, who resigned after his extramarital affair with Ranin Karim became a scandal in 2020. Karim — pictured above — was interviewed extensively in the Discovery+ documentary, which also delved into other Hillsong scandals.

Continued below.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I remember reading about Carl Lentz and the image he projected while running with Justin Bieber and other celebrities. My discernment alarm was going off then before all this broke. I plan on watching this.

• Agree
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Churches do a LOT of spiritual warfare. That is why people go there for help with their battles. They do not always win the battle. Matthew 12:45 talks about this:

43When an unclean spirit comes out of a man, it passes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. 44Then it says, ‘I will return to the house I left.’ On its return, it finds the house vacant, swept clean, and put in order. 45Then it goes and brings with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and dwell there; and the final plight of that man is worse than the first. So will it be with this wicked generation.”

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have mixed feelings about this. I think megachurches are inherently a bad thing because obviously they're not Catholic so they're teaching the faith in an incomplete and incorrect way, they end up distilling into superficial social clubs that are a couple inches away from a rotary club or elks lodge.

On the other hand, I just wish the exposé was coming from a better source. A Catholic source that was both exposing the corruption and also taking the moment to educate on true Christianity. Teaching Catholic virtue and inviting people to Holy Mother Church. Seems like anyone else doing an exposé like this is more interested in the takedown than it is in establishing that the Catholic Church is the true faith, the one true Church.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have mixed feelings about this. I think megachurches are inherently a bad thing because obviously they're not Catholic so they're teaching the faith in an incomplete and incorrect way, they end up distilling into superficial social clubs that are a couple inches away from a rotary club or elks lodge.

On the other hand, I just wish the exposé was coming from a better source. A Catholic source that was both exposing the corruption and also taking the moment to educate on true Christianity. Teaching Catholic virtue and inviting people to Holy Mother Church. Seems like anyone else doing an exposé like this is more interested in the takedown than it is in establishing that the Catholic Church is the true faith, the one true Church.
Well it’s going to be presented from a Protestant pov. If it was presented from a Catholic pov it would just look like we were attacking them. I think that would go over like a lead balloon. I think Hillsong has done enough damage on their own and former attendees that experienced it are the ones that should discuss it. Catholic commentary would probably work though.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well it’s going to be presented from a Protestant pov. If it was presented from a Catholic pov it would just look like we were attacking them. I think that would go over like a lead balloon. I think Hillsong has done enough damage on their own and former attendees that experienced it are the ones that should discuss it. Catholic commentary would probably work though.
I watched a trailer for the Discovery+ series and I got the impression they're setting the whole thing up for a general Christian takedown, kind of like those "Jesus camp" documentaries that came out a while back. You know? The documentaries don't make any push to get to the truth and beauty of actual Christianity (i.e. Catholicism) rather they just kind of leave it hanging there dark and hopeless and making Christianity out to be just as corrupt and superficial everywhere you go.

I guess we'll see how the documentary actually plays out but I'm not confident it'll be done with integrity. Like, yes, Hillsong should absolutely be taken down but the backroom machinery driving this thing are surely using this more as a vehicle to discredit Christianity as a whole.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I watched a trailer for the Discovery+ series and I got the impression they're setting the whole thing up for a general Christian takedown, kind of like those "Jesus camp" documentaries that came out a while back. You know? The documentaries don't make any push to get to the truth and beauty of actual Christianity (i.e. Catholicism) rather they just kind of leave it hanging there dark and hopeless and making Christianity out to be just as corrupt and superficial everywhere you go.

I guess we'll see how the documentary actually plays out but I'm not confident it'll be done with integrity. Like, yes, Hillsong should absolutely be taken down but the backroom machinery driving this thing are surely using this more as a vehicle to discredit Christianity as a whole.
I get your point now. And your right. Any chance they get to discredit Christianity, they do. It’s what’s cramping them up as far as this agenda they are pushing.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I get your point now. And your right. Any chance they get to discredit Christianity, they do. It’s what’s cramping them up as far as this agenda they are pushing.
Exactly.

It's not about the truth for them, it's about dismantling the biggest obstacle to global dominance.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Exactly.

It's not about the truth for them, it's about dismantling the biggest obstacle to global dominance.
I have no doubt of that. This anti-Christian Christmas deluge has been going strong on certain channels as they do every Christian holiday.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have no doubt of that. This anti-Christian Christmas deluge has been going strong on certain channels as they do every Christian holiday.
History channel being a big offender.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Sadly, the focus is usually on the bad people/situations/corruption in Christianity.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Exactly.

Regrettably we're stuck here til we're called home to solace from this earth.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,491.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've never been to a HIllsong Church, although I did attend a church at Mount Gravatt, a suburb on the southside of Brisbane, a handful of times. It later became a Hillsong Church or Campus if you like. That was a long time ago when I was still Protestant.

Ignore the image if you click on the link. The church building is nowhere near Brisbane River, and is located at Rover Street, Mount Gravatt.

I'm an introvert and wary of crowds. I'm even more skittish about mobs.

I think the Hillsong brand will clean itself up and persevere, although I'm not particularly interested myself. If we're going to pull a splinter out of Hillsong's eye, it might be a good idea if we Catholics take the log out of our own eye first - the priestly pedophile crisis, corrupt financial dealings in the Vatican, priests falling foul of the hierarchy and so on.

If it hadn't been for the corruption in the late medieval church, we might never had had the Reformation, although it did lead to what might be called "Democracy". Americans in particular can thank Protestantism for that. I can't see the Catholic Church of yesteryear leading to the personal freedoms that US citizens (and Western citizens) take for granted today.

But I'm getting off the topic.

It seems to me that whenever there is a mover and shaker trying to serve God, he or she comes under intense criticism, whether justified or unjustified. We had a bloke called John Smith (unusual name what!), who started the "God Squad", which was essentially an outreach to bikies (or bikers in the US).

Even Bono from U2 knew him - Log into Facebook

Yet John Smith had trouble, not so much from outside pressures or the world, but competition within his own church.

The devil takes a very close interest in those he knows are a big threat.

Upvote 0