Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
When I went up to get the Eucharist a couple days ago, I motioned my arms to indicate that I wanted a blessing instead, because I felt like I should not take the Eucharist. As soon as I did that, the priest looked at me and "Ok, what did you do?" And I barely opened my mouth when he said "You didn't do anything, take the bread. The Body of Christ!" However, he actually meant what he said - he literally felt I didn't do anything wrong and wasn't being snarky about it - in fact, he was being the exact opposite and I almost laughed as he put the host into my hand, lol.

I approached him after Mass and told him the thing I felt barred me from the Eucharist, and he immediately said "Nah! Venial sin! You're being extra scrupulous!" He was very friendly about it though. This was the same priest who I felt I could never break the ice with - I guess you could say progress has been made on that.

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When I went up to get the Eucharist a couple days ago, I motioned my arms to indicate that I wanted a blessing instead, because I felt like I should not take the Eucharist. As soon as I did that, the priest looked at me and "Ok, what did you do?" And I barely opened my mouth when he said "You didn't do anything, take the bread. The Body of Christ!" However, he actually meant what he said - he literally felt I didn't do anything wrong and wasn't being snarky about it - in fact, he was being the exact opposite and I almost laughed as he put the host into my hand, lol.

I approached him after Mass and told him the thing I felt barred me from the Eucharist, and he immediately said "Nah! Venial sin! You're being extra scrupulous!" He was very friendly about it though. This was the same priest who I felt I could never break the ice with - I guess you could say progress has been made on that.
That’s great!

• Friendly
Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

Rely_942

Mar 16, 2024
Ohio
✟1,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi, male, age 29.

I had a similar experience today at mass when I went up to get my blessing.

I thought the guy was annoyed to see me again, coming up to get a blessing.

(I'm telling you, the Devil loves to throw those kinds of thoughts at me, but I just consider it spiritual discipline from the Lord... )

... After mass he asked me to pray liturgy of the hours before mass with him next time. ✝️

I hope you know Jesus and Our Mother love you guys today. Thanks.

Upvote 0