Heterosexual Male Dominion

Tube Socks Dude

May 10, 2005
✟17,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To understand why conservative patriarchal authority figures believe they rule over every other creature, look at the ancient philosophical notions which lie behind male domination. For instance, we in the Christian West owe a lot of our thinking on sex and gender to guys like Thomas Aquinas who thought that Aristotle’s principles of Natural Law could provide a handy underpinning for Christian morality. According to Aristotle, man rightly takes charge over woman, because he commands superior intelligence, which would profit the women who depend on him. He compares this to the relationship between human beings and tame animals.

He says, “It is the best for all tame animals to be ruled by human beings. For this is how they are kept alive. In the same way, the relationship between the male and the female is by nature such that the male is higher, the female lower, that the male rules and the female is ruled.” Aristotle, Politica, ed. Loeb Classical Library, 1254 b 10-14.

Notice in Aristotle’s text is the phrase: “by nature”. Subordination is right because it corresponds to the way things have been made. Therefore, a woman’s place is in the kitchen (stable), because she was made barefoot and pregnant (a vessel to incubate male seed).

The Southern Baptist Convention agrees with Aristotle that by nature women are to submit to their husbands. But what else did Aristotle justify by using this same reasoning of natural law? Aristotle reckons that slavery is natural too because some people are by nature destined to be slaves.

He says, “That person is by nature a slave who can belong to another person and who only takes part in thinking by recognizing it, but not by possessing it. Other living beings (animals) cannot recognize thinking; they just obey feelings. However, there is little difference between using slaves and using tame animals: both provide bodily help to do necessary things.” He also says, “That is why the poets say: “It is correct that Greeks rule Barbarians”; for by nature what is barbarian and what is slave are the same.” Aristotle, Physica, vol. 1; Loeb Classical Library, 1252 b 8. See A.TH. van Leeuwen, The Nacht van het Kapitaal, Nijmegen 1984, pp. 182 – 205.

Down through history, men have been able to justify all kinds of intolerance, inequality, prejudice and injustice using variations of the so-called natural law theory. Wow, it sure is better to be under the control of the rational male mind than to just obey "feelings"! Thank you Thomas Aquinas for basing your Christian views of sex, gender and morality on such an enlightened and modern perspective on how things simply “are”. Speaking of modern, let’s move forward for a more up-to-date opinion on the subject from R. J. Rushdoony (1916-2001) whom I am sure many red state, Re-funda-publican men will agree with.

He says, “Dominion is God's principle for man over nature (Gen. 1:28), and for the male in the person of the husband and father in the family (I Cor. 11:1-15). Dominion as the male's nature and prerogative is to be found throughout the animal world as a part of God's creation ordinance. In animals, as Ardrey has pointed out, there is a primacy of dominion over sexual and other drives. "The time will come when the male will lose all interest in sex; but he will still fight for his status." In fact, "dominance in social animals is a universal instinct independent of sex." This male instinct for dominion reveals itself in animals in three ways: first, in territoriality, i.e., a property instinct and drive, and second, in status, a drive to establish dominion in terms of rank in a rigidly hierarchical order, and third, survival, and order as a means of survival. This is true of animals in natural setting; zoo animals, being in a welfare society, are more absorbed with sex. In the male, dominion leads to increased sexual potency and longevity. Moreover, "It is a curious characteristic of the instincts of order that most are masculine." The female's sexual and maternal instincts are personal and thus in a sense anarchistic. These characteristics are true of human life also. ~ R.J. Rushdoony, The Institutes of Biblical Law (Nutley, NJ: Craig Press, 1973), p. 201.”

Wow, that’s even better than how Aristotle explained it. Conservative heterosexual men are on top because instinct dictates they dominate others. Just like in the animal world, might make’s right. After all, Aristotle says guys are by nature smarter as well as stronger. But what do conservative heterosexist males (and their submissive pawns) have to say when confronted with reports, documentaries and National Geographic footage of rampant bisexuality and homosexuality throughout the animal kingdom? They proceed to define nature not by how nature acts, but how they think nature “ought” to act, hah! Don’t you just hate it when nature acts unnaturally? That’s just so animalistic, eww. To correct this problem, nature itself must obediently deny its own intrinsic drives and instincts since they inconveniently diminish the perceived power of the ball. Something is deemed natural only when the men get together and say so. Take race mixing for instance. Poof....No longer unnatural. Blast those activist judges and their feelings!

The ends always justify the means when it comes to preserving male status and the rigid hierarchal order, as Rushdoony describes it. Women and gays represent all that personal stuff that is “anarchistic”. So what’s a dominant male to do besides suppress the obvious truth of diversity and chaotic unpredictability expressed by both the human species and non-human species alike? Well, if you can’t beat the crap out of it, shoot it or blow it up, you have to just vote against it.
>
>
>

Last edited:
Reactions: TheManeki

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟844,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And to fundamentalists who desire honest discussion, that's fine. We don't do inflammatory posts here. We say "I believe such-and-such because....." or "This is the reason I practice such-and-such." We don't do, "You're going to hell if you don't do such-and-such." Only Christ has the right to judge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Tube Socks Dude

May 10, 2005
✟17,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LBF, actually you helped to inspired me in writing about this topic when I read your statement in another thread asking, "Where *did* people get the idea that God is Caucasian, American, and Republican?"

Alas, I must admit I do sometimes tend to become a bit "inflammatory", myself, when writing in a sarcastic manner on here. A couple of times in the past, it was hard for some readers to discern exactly "who" I was mad at when they read my rants, hah. In this case, I can certainly see how those adhering to the status quo would consider my interpretation of their worldview insulting, demeaning and inflammatory. After all, I used to be a fundamentalist evangelical so I know how important holding together a constrictive mindset is in order to remain happily conflict-free. I would have been mighty ticked off at my future self, had I been given a vision of the liberal I would eventually become. I would have been the first to damn myself. I'm looking at my own past reflection in those "all or nothing", turn-or-burn sentiments from Josh. Actually, his attempt at evangelism shook me up and reminded me that life is never set in stone and changeless. I see in his conservative reaction as the antithesis to my liberalism. Our perspectives serve to define and contrast each other thus giving each side meaning. Maybe your challenge to not simply say, "I believe such-n-such", will cause Josh to come back and more clearly articulate his personal insights regarding male-female dynamics as they relate to dominance, submission and nature.
>
>
>

Upvote 0

Protinus

...once more unto the breach dear friends
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
To understand why conservative patriarchal authority figures believe they rule over every other creature, look at the ancient philosophical notions which lie behind male domination. [/quote]

We live in a heteroSEXIST society TSD. We have every inclination in justifying women's ascendancy in the the church. Mary M was one of the first apostles, whether it was accepted or not.

Upvote 0

Tube Socks Dude

May 10, 2005
✟17,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh boy, here come the patriarchal fundamentalists...

Hey Kel, this sounds mean, but do you ever wish that if reincarnation ends up being true, abusive patriarchal religious leaders will be reborn as women, transgender or a member of some repressed/oppressed societal group so they can understand the hell-on-earth they created for others? Well, probably not a serious wish, but it's sure tempting to imagine and have a laugh about it.
>
>
>

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Protinus

Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey Kel, I know this sounds mean, but don't you sometimes wish that if reincarnation ends up being true, abusive patriarchal religious leaders will be reborn as women, transgender or a member of some oppressed group so they can understand the hell-on-earth they created for others? Well, probably not a serious wish, but it's sure tempting to imagine and have a laugh about it.
>
>
>

excuse me?

Upvote 0

Loki

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
✟17,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey Kel, this sounds mean, but do you ever wish that if reincarnation ends up being true, abusive patriarchal religious leaders will be reborn as women, transgender or a member of some repressed/oppressed societal group so they can understand the hell-on-earth they created for others? Well, probably not a serious wish, but it's sure tempting to imagine and have a laugh about it.
>
>
>

Ah, the justice of ironic punishments.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tube Socks Dude

May 10, 2005
✟17,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
excuse me?

Like Jerry Falwell for instance. Wouldn't it be hilarious if he had to come back as a feminist or homosexual in a society that repressed or condemned him? According to some notions of karmic justice, he should have to be reincarnated into a relgious situation which causes him to be miserable and theologically conflicted.

Upvote 0

Protinus

Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Like Jerry Falwell for instance. Wouldn't it be hilarious if he had to come back as a feminist or homosexual in a society that repressed or condemned him? According to some notions of karmic justice, he should have to be reincarnated into a relgious situation which causes him to be miserable and theologically conflicted.

I see...

NEXT!!!

Upvote 0

Tube Socks Dude

May 10, 2005
✟17,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But when you think about karma and reincarnation, of which I believe in both, I was likely a persecutor in a past life. I am only getting what I deserve and need. Pretty humbling when you think about it from that perspective.

You know, actually the same thing occurred to me one time. As much trouble as I've had with struggling to love a religion that has ended up causing so much pain and inner conflict, I surely must have been a condemnatory religionist myself in some past life. At least I would like to "think" that all this religious turmoil has some hidden valuable purpose like fulfilling a karmic life-lesson.
>
>
>

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟844,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe in the concept of karma but not the Eastern philosophies most often associated with it. Even the Apostle Paul endorsed karma when he said, "Do not be deceived. God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows." (Galatians 6:7 NIV) So did the Lord in Revelation 22:12, NIV, where He said, ""Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done."

So if karma basically boils down to, you get what you pay for, then it lines up with Scripture. I don't understand why a Christian would criticize someone for agreeing with the concept of karma.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Loki

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
✟17,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So... I was an inquisitor in a past life?

Well, I am fond of the Dominicans ;)

Upvote 0

Protinus

Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe in the concept of karma but not the Eastern philosophies most often associated with it. Even the Apostle Paul endorsed karma when he said, "Do not be deceived. God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows." (Galatians 6:7 NIV) So did the Lord in Revelation 22:12, NIV, where He said, ""Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done."

So if karma basically boils down to, you get what you pay for, then it lines up with Scripture. I don't understand why a Christian would criticize someone for agreeing with the concept of karma.

LBF: karmic philosophy does not withstand the quotes of Paul. Nor does MY ability to make less of it. Much more is my inability to comprehend it and to know it with my Lord as a result.

Upvote 0

Loki

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
✟17,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LBF: karmic philosophy does not withstand the quotes of Paul. Nor does MY ability to make less of it. Much more is my inability to comprehend it and to know it with my Lord as a result.

Easy there Prot, I think people are just being light-hearted.

Upvote 0

Tube Socks Dude

May 10, 2005
✟17,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think there is no karmic redemption but through Christ. We must think about other faiths in total but remember our Lord.

If there is one thing I hope Christianity can teach me in its progressive form, it is that the law of sewing and reaping will not let me get away with fossilizing into a rigid fundamentalist liberal any more than it will let me be a rigid fundamenatlist conservative. Either way, I should get a karmic bite on the tuchas to snap me out of it.
>
>
>

Upvote 0