Hesitant to return to the Church

Sumwear

Jul 23, 2012
✟4,400.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Former apatheist here. Take your time. Take it slow. I too had my reservations but so many things associated with happenstance in the world that made me keep turning my head back to the possibility of an ultimate being. Perhaps not good enough, but look at the genesis of the Church. The early Christians [Former Jews, former pagans]. Much willing self sacrifice to go off on more than a hunch. Then, there are the accounts of the persecutors who recanted their past lives and turned to Christ, who in the end were persecuted themselves.

Upvote 0

RenatusFueritExAqua

Crawling back to the Church
Nov 25, 2015
✟15,212.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

RenatusFueritExAqua

Crawling back to the Church
Nov 25, 2015
✟15,212.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think we're in different places then. I haven't been able to make that first step, and the more I study the universe the harder it gets. However, I feel that if I could make that first step the rest would follow. I see it as a chain with three links. The first is the belief in anything supernatural, anything beyond the material world. I haven't made that one. If you make the first, the next is the idea that there is one (or one in three) diety. The third is that out of all the faiths that accept a single diety, the Catholic Church is the one with the best case for understanding this diety. I believe sometimes that if I can make the first. the other two will follow. That's probably because I have a deep respect for the scholarship of the early Church and how far back it reaches.

I view it a little differently. I view the first as believing in a deity, like you said. The second is that if the first is true, believing that the Resurrection and all the other NT events are true. The third is that if the second is true, believing that the Catholic Church is the True Church. I have the first one, and the third one, it is only the second one where there are gaps.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I view it a little differently. I view the first as believing in a deity, like you said. The second is that if the first is true, believing that the Resurrection and all the other NT events are true. The third is that if the second is true, believing that the Catholic Church is the True Church. I have the first one, and the third one, it is only the second one where there are gaps.
Maybe I need a step between 1 and 2, I figured that if one believes a supernatural being or beings exist, one has to then sort through all the possibilities, one God, a trinity, a number of gods, a god who is the universe, not separate from it, and so on. Then onto your step 2. :)

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I have been an atheist for a few years now and am slowly coming back to the Church. However, I'm still hesitating to go back because I'm not sure that I'm convinced. I love the Church, I love the Liturgy, the support for family, the Sacraments, etc, I'm just not fully convinced of the basics like the Resurrection.

I don't want to go back to the Church, receive Absolution, go to Mass for a month, only to fall away again because my faith wasn't strong enough in the first place.

I love the Church, I just need a strong reason to believe, and I'm hoping someone here could help me with that.
God loves you and His heart aches to have you back.

Reactions: Miche_nz
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums