Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
Not to diminish her actions, but she was in the late stages of liver cancer. She was already dead, it was just how long could technology hold on to her life. Really, instead of thinking about her action, we should be hoping, praying, that the baby does not have any cancerous cells in his body.

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

for Thy greater honor and glory
Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Not to diminish her actions, but she was in the late stages of liver cancer. She was already dead, it was just how long could technology hold on to her life. Really, instead of thinking about her action, we should be hoping, praying, that the baby does not have any cancerous cells in his body.
good point

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
A sad story.

But suppose a pregnant woman is diagnosed with a malignancy in an earlier stage? Where her chances of remission would be good if she begins treatment immediately, but lessen if she waits until the baby can be delivered safely. I know my wife and I would choose to terminate and treat the cancer ASAP. We could always try for another child after she's cured. I'd rather lose this pregnancy than lose my wife, and leave our other children without a mother.

But in any event, these are very tough decisions, and the woman in the article did what she and her husband thought was right for them. And that's the key--it was her choice. Under no circumstances is it something the state should try to legislate.

Upvote 0

LonesomeTexan

Veteran
Jun 24, 2007
North of Houston
✟19,404.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
and go figure this turns into a pro life vs. pro choice issue. why can't we simply agree that what she did to was completely selfless? she could have cancelled her pregnancy and fought against the cancer, but she simply decided that her unborn child was more important than her own life. Who's to say that she couldn't have fought the cancer back long enough with chemotherapy to perhaps get a liver transplant?

For those who don't see this woman as admirable, what in your eyes is?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TexasSky

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
Texas
✟12,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My best friend did that.

Karen discovered a lump in her breast, went to a doctor in a very small town and was told it was nothing to worry about.

It kept growing, and they kept telling her not to worry.

Butch, her husband, finally insisted she come to a doctor in our city because we have a lot of research facilities here. By then the tumor was about the size of a small orange.

The tests showed it was cancer, but they also showed she was pregnant with her fourth child. The doctors wanted her to abort, and to take massive chemo and radiation.

She and Butch prayed a long time about it, and decided to post pone all the medical treatements until the baby was born.

Ricky is 16 now. Karen has been cancer free for over 10 years.

Upvote 0
S

SpiritualAntiseptic

it was her choice... and an admirable one

but suicide is never a reason to rejoice (that's basically what this was)

Suicidie is the intensional killing of yourself for the purpose of killing yourself. She didn't intensionally kill herself and she didn't refuse treatment in order to die.

The cancer treatment would have been certain death for her baby. Given that her cancer was already spreading, there was probably little that could be done about it anyways.

Upvote 0