Status
Not open for further replies.

tfeo2inxal1

Oct 31, 2003
Visit site
✟7,613.00
Faith
Christian
:help: have studied at several schools. Some mildly dispensational, some strict. My problem is that no one has been able to take me through scripture and teach me HOW you come to dispensationalism, covenant, or new covenant theology. There seems to be major flaws in dispensational thought, and no one has clearly given me a good scriptural explaination of Covenant theology (or NCT). I am leaning towards some form of Covenant, but i want to base my stance on scripture alone. i can give youa logical, chronological flow of all three perspectives....but cant back *much* up with scripture. can anyone point me to a good book (or probably more like 3 good books) that go through scripture and explain the major ideas (and alot of the smaller stuff too) or each of these hermenutics? i desperately desire to have a grasp on this because i dont think you can go very far theologically without having your hermenutic nailed down fairly tight. like i said, i dont need another explaination of the ideas, i need scripture explained. thanks for your help.
jacob:help:

reformedfan

Senior Veteran
Dec 18, 2003
http://lightintheblack.co.uk/forum/portal.php
Visit site
✟12,904.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A.W. Pink has an excellent book I'm reading now called "The Divine Covenants".
It's chock fulla brilliance & thought provoking stuff, yet easy enough reading you don't need to sit & take notes.
Cumberland Valley Bible Book Store (or maybe "distributor". It's either CVBBS or CVBBD) is the dirt cheapest place for theology books, like Calvin, Van Til, Pink, etc. Maybe they even have a website, idunno.
Covenant theology is the most Biblical: the Bible as a whole, not as 2 halves.

Upvote 0

Ken

Aug 14, 2003
North Central Indiana
Visit site
✟1,582.00
Faith
Calvinist
Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
I don't think it's necessary to have "your hermenutic nailed down fairly tight." I very much like the way Michael Jinkins describes the hermeneutical cycle in Invitation to Theology. The best theologians I know remain open to new interpretations of scripture whenever they find their current ones inadequate. Personally, I don't think either the covenantal or dispensational method of systematizing scripture is a very good key to understanding scripture. Rather, I find Jinkins' description of doing theology in community to be much more profitable.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.