helpa young preacher

str8lnr

Feb 16, 2010
✟7,614.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
hello my name is daniel iv been saved for about 6 years and about a month ago i step out to preach, iv preached 4 times and seen fruit twice(i know that was the lords work not mine) the first time i preached there were 4 rededications so i dont beleive iv made a mistake about my calling, my problem is i have a hard time coming up with an idea to preach on i dont prepare sermons i just make a few notes and let the lord give me what someone needs to hear but it seems like i have a harder time unstanding the bible since i started preaching, i pray for wisdom and knoledge but waht some good study material for a young preacher thank you and god bless

tdiddy

Feb 17, 2010
✟7,656.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've been teaching for a while but I'm kind of new to preaching myself, so I know how you feel. The good news is that you can pick just about anything to preach on and you won't be repeating yourself!

The first sermon I preached was on Colossians 3:1-17. It's a pretty easy passage to preach. Paul gives a list of characteristics that we need to get rid of, then gives a list of characteristics that we should replace them with. Thus "Putting on the New Man" which I believe was what I used as a title.

Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is only one theme and one subject of the Scriptures. God's men are not called to preach about things. They are not called to talk about the history of the Jews or science or to give good advice. All truly God called men have only one message and that is Christ. He is in every part of the Scriptures and preachers point folks to Him. The enormous responsibility of preaching to eternity bound sinners, and that includes those who have been believers for years, is never to be taken lightly. You will be called to give an answer for how you have dealt with the souls of men. If you ever trifle with the eternal souls of those who hear you woe be unto you. Preach Christ in all His glorious person and work! He is enough to give you a message for every occasion. He is enough for the comfort of those hurting and those who are in trouble. He is enough to give light to those sitting in darkness and those who walk in lght. He is enough for those who have never heard and those who have heard for years. A true believer never gets tired of hearing of Christ. Fill your messages with Him and you will be on the right road.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

Baptist Christian 1611

Saved by the blood of the Crucified One!
Feb 5, 2010
Woonsocket, RI
✟15,163.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A good commentary is "Matthew Henry's Commentaryon the Whole Bible". It outlines every chapter of the Bible and provides good insight. Also, I would suggest seeking guidance from an older brother in the faith (maybe a pastor or evangelist). But above all, Bible reading and meditation is the most important thing to find topics to preach.

Upvote 0

DIANAC

Senior Veteran
Jan 10, 2005
New York
✟8,511.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
no i do not pastor iv only stepped out to preach about a month ago, but it may be a lack of study on my part i guess a preacher has to do quite a bit more studying than anyone else thaks alot
and praying, and walkng in obedience, and pursuing holiness...
If the Bible speaks to you, you will not be at the loss for topics to preach on.
Important point is to make sure of your doctrine.

Upvote 0

spiersdodgerblue

Senior Veteran
Jan 31, 2007
✟18,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
and praying, and walkng in obedience, and pursuing holiness...
If the Bible speaks to you, you will not be at the loss for topics to preach on.
Important point is to make sure of your doctrine.
I agree with Diana here and would like to also encourage you to seek Gods will in your life in making sure He wants you to preach His word. As I'm sure you know, not all are called to do so. You would also need some men who are of good reputation and more mature than you in their walk with the Lord to be accountable too.

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do you Pastor a church? Preach verse by verse.

This is what I tend to do. I pick a passage, say Psalm 121, and go verse by verse. I explain key terms, the background of the Psalm, what it meant then and how the truths it holds apply today. IN the case of a topical sermon, say "elders" then it is I do a search and cover the passages that teach key truths related to the topic.

With the thousands of verses in Scripture the problem is settling on what to preach, not finding something. Sometimes I address a key issue our church is facing or I will draw on something God showed me in my personal devotional time.

Upvote 0