• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Help and thoughts please!

Jan 20, 2004
Bucks
✟15,120.00
Faith
Christian
Hey everyone,

I've just logged on and am fairly new to all this but I really need some advice.

I've been really low for the last 6 months or so and went to my dr for something totally different and he told me I was depressed (which btw I think is the most depressing thing!). Anyway, he's put me on meds and the few people I've had the guts to mention it to have looked at me as if I'm mad and shouldn't be taking them. These are people at church. I've always had a low opinion of taking drugs but can't really organise my thoughts.

Could someone give me some different thoughts for and against cos I don't know at the minute.

:(

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
My personal experience is that you should never use drugs for any mental problem unless you're also getting good therapy/counseling. Given, in some situations people NEED meds, and in a lot of cases they'll help a lot. But it seems to me the haste of the rest of society has reach the psychiatry as well. It's perfectly ok to have a bad week or month. Six months are long enough to seek help though, I think.
I myself got severely burnt by my doctor just giving me pills, increasing the dosage as the effects wore off, without sending me to a psychologist/therapist/psychiatrist.
I find it ironic that a lot of drugs are illegal, while it's too easy getting powerful stuff from your doctor, a lot of it very addictive even if it doesn't give you a high.
I don't know what drugs you got, but if they help, more power to them. Just be careful and don't expect them to work miracles. A depression may take a long time to get out of, meds or no. It doesn't mean you're insane or anything, try not to look down on yourself for having this problem. And remember you're not alone.

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Oh, and some things that may help for your depression, and is good even if you're feeling happy, are
Physical excercise. Manual labour, running, martial arts, use your body. Take a walk if nothing else.
Routines. Try getting up at roughly the same time each day, do something at the same time each day. Rhythms calm people down (this is my experience anyway), be it rocking back and forth, drumming with your fingers or doing a ritual every night.
Eat sanely. Don't get freaky over what you eat, but try to at least eat varied food. Vitamins and such play a role in how you feel both mentally and physically.
Accept the fact that you don't feel too good. You're only human.
Do not take yourself too seriously. But don't disregard your emotions either. Finding the balance takes time and practise.
Talk to someone or write down how you feel, what you think.
And, obviously, keep us updated. You will get better.

Reactions: Lost
Upvote 0

Mr.Cheese

Legend
Apr 14, 2002
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I started taking meds about 2 years ago. I'm 31. I never knew that life was supposed to be enjoyable. I went to the counselor because I couldnt' think or concentrate on studying. I had no idea I was clinically depressed.
God gave us doctors. In fact, Luke, the writer of Luke and Acts wsa a doctor himself.

It may take some time to find the right medicine(s) and the right dose. I've got a very good doctor who got me fixed quickly.
Medicine doesn't make you ignore life, it helps you be able to deal with what you face. So it's productive.
Medicine is not a "happy pill." Happines was not the reason I started taking medicine.

Reactions: Lost
Upvote 0

Periann

Nov 21, 2003
TX
✟11,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Medicine for depression should not be looked at as comparable to taking recreational drugs. Perhaps the reason some of your church members disliked it is because they didnt realize that depression is a very real problem and havent much experience with it. As well as doing some of the suggestions that Holo mentioned above which I think are a must-eating and excersing properly and taking vitamins try eliminating some of the negative influences in your life. If watching certain movies or listening to certain music will make you sad then leave it for when you're feeling completely healthy. If you dont already do this I would also suggest to set apart a devotional/prayer time every day so that you can space out and speak your needs tto God. This will help you more than you realize. God bless you! There is nothing wrong with taking medicine to treat depression, your mental health is just as important (if not more so) than your physical health and if your doctor says that you should then there is no reason to feel guilty over it. I wish you a 100 percent recovery.

Upvote 0

cleaveun2him

Nov 18, 2003
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟323.00
Faith
Christian
I agree with the above posters. Yes, six months is long enough to wait to go on medication for depression. There is nothing wrong with needing to take medication to treat depression. Just be sure you are taking whatever your health care provider suggested as he/she suggested. Don't be too upset if it seems to take a while to work. It can take up to 4-6 weeks to see the full effects of an anti-depressant.

Like holo I would recommend that in addition to the medication that you seek out a counselor...either a professional such as a psychiatrist/psychologist...or better yet talk to the pastor/father of your religious organization for suggestions as to possible local christian counselor...perhaps that persom may be able to help you themself...even identifying someone you know who you can talk to who can be "real" with you can be helpful.

The other suggestions by the other posters can also be helpful. The only other thing I can think of that they did not mention is get out into the sunshine...bundle up if you live in a cold climate like I do!! You might even consider tanning sessions as exposure to the bright light should help your outlook some.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

urbanfaerie

Veteran
Apr 17, 2003
gargamel's castle
Visit site
✟1,392.00
Faith
Non-Denom
i just wanted to say, your user name (littlepoohbear) made me smile :) pooh is so adorkable. :pink:

as far as meds go, it may take a while to find the right poison, so don't give up on em, if they don't work, say tommorrow. give it some time. may take awhile til u find the right dose/prescription that works for you, cuz everyone is different, what works for one person can screw another person up, and visa vera.

Upvote 0

Cat59

Just me
Aug 28, 2003
Beautiful Wales
Visit site
✟40,090.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Unfortunately a lot of people (including Christians) don't understand depression and dont see there is a difference between the usual ups and downs people get and the prolonged low, which is not relieved by anything and is unremitting for months, that is depression. If you have question after what people have said to you in church or after what you have here, you could go back and chat to your doctor and ask more about the meds he/she put you on (writing down what you want to ask before you go or take someone with you can help.) He could also refer you onto a counsellor, if you think that will help.
The advice given on this thread is good, meds can work in depression, so can counselling or therapy. For a specific Christian "self help" approach, I've found this book useful in giving a clear picture of what depression is and ways to overcome it. It uses many scripture references and real life examples and also gives a bit of info on depression.
Your local library might have it, or if not, if you give them the title, might be prepared to get it.
I'm Not Supposed to Feel Like This: A Christian Approach to Depression and Anxiety (Hodder Christian Books)
Chris Williams, Ingrid Whitton, Paul Richards Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton Religious; ISBN: 0340786396

Upvote 0
There are some great suggestions here for you!

Clinical depression is a sneaky, debilitating problem, and there is nothing wrong with taking meds to help.

I wish that there had been something for me 30 years ago, when I began having the symptoms of clinical depression, but, that's before anyone knew what it was. I've only had to be on them once before, when life's stress got me out of control, and now while going through some intense marriage difficulty. It can truly be a God send.

Along with the exercise, prayer, counseling, eating right and good friend support, I would advise you research your particular medicine on the internet. Know what to expect, know the side effects, and keep aware of how the treatment helps (or doesn't help) you after the sometimes long waiting period for the brain chemicals to start balancing out. Some drugs are going to work better for you than others, some can be downright scary.

Plan on staying on it for as long as your doctor suggests, but keep in the back of your mind that you want to lick this thing for good and work towards recovery and weaning off of it, eventually. You need to find a way to keep life from getting you out of whack, and you'll have a much better chance to do that if you're not living in that cold, enveloping fog all the time! :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jan 20, 2004
Bucks
✟15,120.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks for all your thoughts guys. I was having a fairly good day yeasterday and all the comments made things seem quite rosey.

I'm feely really low again today - not being able to go out to work due to another bout of tonsilitis really doesn't help cos it means I can easily hide away in my room all day and not talk to anyone - made all the worse by having family in the house that don't really talk to me.

I do the excercise thing but the eating thing is something I really struggle with. I go can days without wanting to eat anything and I guess I know its a problem when my boyfriend starts begging with me to eat something.

I'm just really weary about being on any kind of medication. Last time this happened my doctor wasn't really honest with me. I went to him cos I wasn't eating or sleeping and he put me on some pills that he said would help me sleep. They didn't but that's not the point. It wasn't till I got home with them, had taken the first one anbd then read the leaflet (d'oh) that I realised that they were used to treat depression.

I came off them but as soon as I did I nearly had a breakdown because of all the stress that was in my life at the time. I just don't want to become dependant on them cos I know they're not the answer - they're just a crutch to lean on for the time being.

I really f9ind some of th comments helpful but I just can't do the whole God thing at the minute. Its like that part of my brain has shut down and isn't able to send or receive messages. I don't know what to do.

Upvote 0
Jan 20, 2004
Bucks
✟15,120.00
Faith
Christian
Abigail's folly said:
Some drugs are going to work better for you than others, some can be downright scary.

:D

I've read that some medication can increase thoughts of self harm and suicide and that really scares me. I've not quite been on the pills long enough for them to have full effect but I have had more thoughts about harming myself. I haven't and don't think I would - I know that its not the best way to deal with things and I know people who have and now have to live with it years later but its a thought in my brain and the more I worry that I've been thinking about it the more I do think about it. Maybe its just some of the 'crazy thoughts' I have when I 'm down.

Upvote 0
The fact that you are having re-occuring tonsilitis bothers me, especially if you are 21. I finally had mine removed (after much discussion with the doctor) at the age of 20 because mine were always giving me such troubles. If you have a chronic infection in them, they are sure going to aggravate your other problems. Just think how close all that poison is to your brain!

Please, please, please, don't use your lack of appetite as an excuse not to eat! Slurp down some soup, force down some nuts, even if you have to resort to those Slim-fast drinks, get something in that stomach at least three times a day!! :yum: You'd be amazed at how much better you feel (and think) when your gas-tank isn't running on fumes.

If the thought of using the meds is too disturbing, then put them aside for now, I can't blame you for distrusting them. God can heal with or without meds...I am using them for now, because they help me withstand the onslaught of alot of emotional upheaval that has been going on for quite a while. When my situation gets better, I plan on weaning myself off. Crutches are for holding you up during the times of broken-ness, whether it be a broken bone or broken heart.

Upvote 0
Jan 20, 2004
Bucks
✟15,120.00
Faith
Christian
Abigail's folly said:
The fact that you are having re-occuring tonsilitis bothers me, especially if you are 21. I finally had mine removed (after much discussion with the doctor) at the age of 20 because mine were always giving me such troubles. If you have a chronic infection in them, they are sure going to aggravate your other problems. Just think how close all that poison is to your brain!

I've had it four times and this time last year I ended up in hospital in the emergency room because I couldn't breath properly because of the swelling. It affects my larynx as well so last time it took me five months before my voice was better and I could sing again. I'm going to talk to my dr when I go in for my check up on Monday. I'd rather go through one op than have this every year.

Abigail's folly said:
Please, please, please, don't use your lack of appetite as an excuse not to eat! Slurp down some soup, force down some nuts, even if you have to resort to those Slim-fast drinks, get something in that stomach at least three times a day!! :yum: You'd be amazed at how much better you feel (and think) when your gas-tank isn't running on fumes.

I try and eat but sometimes it just makes me sick. I find eating really hard and I avoid eating in public at all costs. If I have to I just have to hold back the panic about what other people are thinking of me. I don't know what's going on with that one. I try not to worry about it because then it will become a big issues.

Abigail's folly said:
If the thought of using the meds is too disturbing, then put them aside for now, I can't blame you for distrusting them. God can heal with or without meds...I am using them for now, because they help me withstand the onslaught of alot of emotional upheaval that has been going on for quite a while. When my situation gets better, I plan on weaning myself off. Crutches are for holding you up during the times of broken-ness, whether it be a broken bone or broken heart.

I'm taking the pills at the minute and I'm going to give them a go because I can't see any other way out of this at the minute. Not even God. We'll see what happens and I'll give the counseling a go but my last experience wasn't very positive.

I need to be able to open up to people around me, particularly my boyfriend. I find that once I've said something to one person its easier to say to someone else. I've tried writing down how I feel but even then I cant bring myseld to type some things.

:(

Upvote 0