Hello to my fellow Australians! Anyone around Brisbane/Redcliffe/South-East Qld. in general? Lend me your prayers!

Sep 12, 2023
Redcliffe, Queensland
✟1,756.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As you know, much of Australia has a really messed-up housing market, and right now many folks are facing homelessness. I'm just a dude who's been on a disability pension for most of my adult life for reasons to do with treatment-resistant social phobia and agoraphobia and stuff like that; more recently there's been talk with a doctor that I should be tested for autism since I'm very high in most traits associated with it. Anyway, for the longest time my mum was my legal carer — even got the carer pension and stuff. But on the 8th of July she died of complications of small-cell lung cancer (despite quitting smoking five years ago and being told back then that her lungs were surprisingly healthy), which they could not treat due to her autoimmune issues. And now, as if to make my life even more brutal, I was told ten days ago by the real estate that I have until November 7 to move out of this place I have been in for the past 12 years because the owner wants to move in. So me, who's mostly a kind of "shut-in" with two cats, no car, no telephone, no friends in the area, severe social awkwardness, etc., etc., is expected to know how to find a place to live, or at least find someone to live with as a housmate/flatmate, if necessary. And frankly I feel like I'm up a certain infamous creek without a paddle and I'm very, very afraid and also just really down. Especially because a couple of older family members who have bee talking about helping me are mostly just talking out there bscksides and being a pair of gonna-dos. And that sucks for me because I don't have a clue about what to do at all. Like, I'm probably mentally 12 years old when it comes to this sort of serious life stuff. :rolleyes: I mean, is there anyone here who can help me out? Lots and lots of prayers at the very least would be good but if I could make some actual friendships with people in the area who could help me in the offline world as well, that would be super awesome and much appreciated. Or if anyone knows someone, or knows someone who knows someone....
I'm prepared to put in extra time and effort for people to get to know me and to learn that they can basically trust me and if someone not too far away can help me out I'll even be willing to join their church if they're a member of one and can take me with them.
I seriously need mad tons of help. :(
Thanks for reading this! Sorry for being annoying.

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,789.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I live in Logan south of Brisbane, but I assume you're more to the northside since you nominated Redcliffe in your post.

Unfortunately homelessness or the threat of it is a problem all over at the moment.

I'm aware you have some social issues, but you might have to do some online leg work yourself by searching for housing charities in your area.

I'm in Vinnies and the St. Vincent de Paul society has a number of homes but I doubt if any would be available. We assisted a couple with food etc. this morning and they are homeless. But we can't help with a roof over their heads.

I think you need to look online for housing charities. Go to Google or whatever you use for a search engine and type in "charity housing (your area)" and see what comes up. Then start making some enquiries.

You might also need to look for a charity that help you with your other issues eg. autism and counselling. I'm assuming that you can get online since you're able to post here.

Some charities which you could possibly investigate are the following -

AQ Sunnybank Hills (for autism)

Affordable housing in South East Queensland - Bric Housing (housing)

Counselling & Emotional Support | Anglicare Southern Queensland (counselling support).

There are a lot more out there.

• Useful
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2023
Redcliffe, Queensland
✟1,756.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I live in Logan south of Brisbane, but I assume you're more to the northside since you nominated Redcliffe in your post.

Unfortunately homelessness or the threat of it is a problem all over at the moment.

I'm aware you have some social issues, but you might have to do some online leg work yourself by searching for housing charities in your area.

I'm in Vinnies and the St. Vincent de Paul society has a number of homes but I doubt if any would be available. We assisted a couple with food etc. this morning and they are homeless. But we can't help with a roof over their heads.

I think you need to look online for housing charities. Go to Google or whatever you use for a search engine and type in "charity housing (your area)" and see what comes up. Then start making some enquiries.

You might also need to look for a charity that help you with your other issues eg. autism and counselling. I'm assuming that you can get online since you're able to post here.

Some charities which you could possibly investigate are the following -

AQ Sunnybank Hills (for autism)

Affordable housing in South East Queensland - Bric Housing (housing)

Counselling & Emotional Support | Anglicare Southern Queensland (counselling support).

There are a lot more out there.
Hey! Thanks for your reply.
I've tried contacting a few charities around the place but had pretty rotten luck. One of the biggest problems is that paperwork my mother had about my mental health issues is missing, like it got thrown out or something, and I also don't have a printer that can print up info about my income or anything. On top of that, I functionally have no family anymore because my brother basically disowned me the other day after I dared to correct him for making false accusations about the way I think and the motives behind my behaviour and so on, plus he'd already kinda defamed me for cheap laughs with a misleading story about me to some other relatives on the night of our mother's wake, and even said untrue stuff about my personality to my mother behind my back when she was in palliative care on a morphine drip and stuff, and she believed it because he has the evil version of "the gift of the gab" or somethinh. So I would happily start over with a new makeshift "family" of all new people even if we're not really related....
Just out of curiosity, whereabouts is the housing you do have available? I'm willing to go pretty far, even if it means leaving virtually all my belongings behind....
Incidentally, I'm also willing to try flatmate-style team-ups (where a bunch of people get together and look for a place together)....
I only have a few weeks left, so I'm open to all kinds of things. But I need a lot of help because one of the main areas I am impaired in is "executive functioning". :(
If anyone can help me directly or knows anyone who can or anything like that, I would be glad to discuss it and even give my contact info in private messages, only I don't know how to use the private messaging system here 'cause I don't see a button to click on under members' names or on their profiles or anything.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,789.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't know specifically where Vinnies housing is, but if you click on this link and then on the categories on the right hand side eg. "Long Term Community Housing" and make some enquiries you may get somewhere. Unfortunately "Crisis Housing" doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

"Flatmate-style team-ups" can be difficult. There are some houses around the place (no idea where in your case) where people share a house in common but there are issues. You don't know how trustworthy they are, if drugs are involved, if your gear will be safe etc. But if you've got nowhere else to go at least it's a roof over your head.

Do you go to a church? If you do maybe they can help, at least with your search.

One of the problems you face is that until recently your mother stood in the gap and did a lot of these things for you. But now she's no longer there you either need to handle these issues yourself or find someone else to do so.

If you've got a disability can you apply for an NDIS package, and hopefully there then would be an agency which could assist with these things?

Maybe Multicap who I think have units for some people with disabilities in the Carina area. I only know about this because a young lady with disabilities who used to live across the road is one of those units.

I know you don't get on with your family, but would one of them take you in on a short term basis if it came down to it? One of the things that annoys me as a Vinnies member is the number of disfunctional families who don't help each other and should, leaving the charities and other agencies to pick up the slack.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm not in Brisbane and don't know the local scene well, but I wonder if it would be worth contacting L'Arche Brisbane? They might not have space in one of their homes, but they might be able to point you in the direction of other supports.

Upvote 0