Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hell is not so popular in sermons nowadays. God is presented as loving and kind, and he is indeed both loving and kind, yet the scriptures teach about hell. So, is hell a thing to be feared, ought Christians assiduously avoid it by doing good, avoiding evil, and believing the gospel in word and deed?

Hell

We cannot be united with God unless we freely choose to love him. But we cannot love God if we sin gravely against him, against our neighbor or against ourselves: "He who does not love remains in death. Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him."610 Our Lord warns us that we shall be separated from him if we fail to meet the serious needs of the poor and the little ones who are his brethren.611 To die in mortal sin without repenting and accepting God's merciful love means remaining separated from him for ever by our own free choice. This state of definitive self-exclusion from communion with God and the blessed is called "hell."

1034 Jesus often speaks of "Gehenna" of "the unquenchable fire" reserved for those who to the end of their lives refuse to believe and be converted, where both soul and body can be lost.612 Jesus solemnly proclaims that he "will send his angels, and they will gather . . . all evil doers, and throw them into the furnace of fire,"613 and that he will pronounce the condemnation: "Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire!"614

1035 The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, "eternal fire."615 The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs.

1036 The affirmations of Sacred Scripture and the teachings of the Church on the subject of hell are a call to the responsibility incumbent upon man to make use of his freedom in view of his eternal destiny. They are at the same time an urgent call to conversion: "Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few."616

Since we know neither the day nor the hour, we should follow the advice of the Lord and watch constantly so that, when the single course of our earthly life is completed, we may merit to enter with him into the marriage feast and be numbered among the blessed, and not, like the wicked and slothful servants, be ordered to depart into the eternal fire, into the outer darkness where "men will weep and gnash their teeth."617

1037 God predestines no one to go to hell;618 for this, a willful turning away from God (a mortal sin) is necessary, and persistence in it until the end. In the Eucharistic liturgy and in the daily prayers of her faithful, the Church implores the mercy of God, who does not want "any to perish, but all to come to repentance":619

Father, accept this offering​
from your whole family.​
Grant us your peace in this life,​
save us from final damnation,​
and count us among those you have chosen.620

610 1 Jn 3:14-15. 611 Cf. Mt 25:31-46.
612 Cf. Mt 5:22, 29; 10:28; 13:42, 50; Mk 9:43-48.
613 Mt 13:41-42.
614 Mt 25:41.
615 Cf. DS 76; 409; 411; 801; 858; 1002; 1351; 1575; Paul VI, CPG # 12.
616 Mt 7:13-14.
617 LG 48 # 3; Mt 22:13; cf. Heb 9:27; Mt 25:13, 26, 30, 31 46.
618 Cf. Council of Orange II (529): DS 397; Council of Trent (1547):1567.
619 2 Pet 3:9.
620 Roman Missal, EP I (Roman Canon) 88.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In the Bible hell is called "the lake of fire" in Rev 20 -- fire and brimstone. John also calls it "the second death" in that same chapter.

Rev 20:4. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received the mark on their forehead and on their hand; and they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. (5 The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were completed.)
This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is the one who has a part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with Him for a thousand years.​

Summary:
Rev 20:7 When the thousand years are completed, Satan will be released from his prison, 8 and will come out to deceive the nations which are in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together for the war; the number of them is like the sand of the seashore. 9 And they came up on the broad plain of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city, and fire came down from heaven and devoured them. 10 And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone,

Expanded detail:
Rev 20:11 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat upon it, from whose presence earth and heaven fled away, and no place was found for them. 12 And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds. 13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one of them according to their deeds. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. 15 And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.​

The first death is the death everyone dies in this world. It is the one where as Christ says in Matt 10:28 "Do not fear those who KILL the body but are not able to kill the soul. Rather fear Him who is able to destroy BOTH body AND soul in fiery hell"

Upvote 0

LW97Nils

Jan 30, 2023
Germany's sin city - Munich
✟20,130.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God
"If I should go up to heaven, thou art there: if I should go down to hell, thou art present." Psalm 139:8
"And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, the same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb" Revelation 14:10

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
"If I should go up to heaven, thou art there: if I should go down to hell, thou art present." Psalm 139:8
"And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, the same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb" Revelation 14:10
the word "hell" can also be translated to "sheol" throughout the old testament because they had a very vague understanding of the afterlife.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Do you think that torment with fire and brimstone (sulfur) is the chief punishment of hell?

Upvote 0

LW97Nils

Jan 30, 2023
✟20,130.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the word "hell" can also be translated to "sheol" throughout the old testament because they had a very vague understanding of the afterlife.
I'm aware of that. See also Luke 16:24.
Do you think that torment with fire and brimstone (sulfur) is the chief punishment of hell?
Yes.

Upvote 0

IoanC

Oct 9, 2022
Ploiesti, Prahova
Visit site
✟29,183.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
To understand hell, we might inspect the situation that demons find themselves in.

Demons willingly and totally lost communion with God because of their pride and rebellion. In fact, more likely, they have never had communion with God, but have always been much worse. Their food is hating God and committing whatever evil they are able. Yet, they are totally weak, and as time passes, any possibility of evil and hatred is dissapearing, and with it any possibility of experiencing "good". Good or happiness were never anything other than entirely distorted reactions to reality. When all aberrational activity is over, a demon can only go to hell. Hell, among other things, is a state of knowing you were wrong for going against the truth, a state of unrest, of having fooled yourself. This remains eternal for demons.

God, however, has taught us to love our enemies, forgive them, and do good to them. A paradox and a mystery.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
God is presented as loving and kind, and he is indeed both loving and kind, yet the scriptures teach about hell.
God is a God of absolute and perfect Justice. That is why Jesus went to Calvary.

Romans 8:32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
God is a God of absolute and perfect Justice. That is why Jesus went to Calvary.

Romans 8:32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?
You're happy with eternal punishment/eternal torment?

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
You're happy with eternal punishment/eternal torment?
God showed me many, many times that He is a God of absolute and perfect Justice. We are told there is no fear in God and that God is a God of love. If people fear punishment, then they need to draw closer to God and HIs love for them. 1 John 4:18, says, "There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love."

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
God is omnipresent.
I do not like using words that are not in the Bible. Although we are told In Psalm 139:7-10, "Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast."

Upvote 0

IoanC

Oct 9, 2022
Ploiesti, Prahova
Visit site
✟29,183.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Whatever we put under the Blood of Jesus has to flee and will cause us no problems.
Absolutely. Demons fear God and even the Word/Name 'God' which does cause them to flee towards darkness and nothingness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LW97Nils

Jan 30, 2023
✟20,130.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do not like using words that are not in the Bible. Although we are told In Psalm 139:7-10, "Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast."
Yes, I'm with you. However, I still use the word. the word "trinity" is not in the Bible either.

Upvote 0