United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reader,
Hell was created for the Devil and His fallen angels", before Adam was created who rebelled and took on the nature of the Devil.

So, that "nature" is the "Adamic" nature.. Its the sin nature or the "fallen nature" that is passed unto us all, as..

"by one man's sin, sin and death entered the world".

Its on YOU and ME........until we are "made free from sin".

So, in this world there are only Believers, born again, and Unbeliever's, who are not born again.

Some who think they are born again, are not, but they can sound like they are a Christian.
They can even sow the good works of a Christian. They can start churches and write books and commentaries.
They can even start "christian forums"..
They are RELIGIOUS but lost... They have a "Form of Godliness, but deny the power thereof.".

They SOUND like a Christian, they even believe themselves to be one..

They are not.

So, THOSE are counted as "unbelievers", and they will have "their part in the Lake of Fire that is the 2nd Death"..

And that DEATH is not annihilation. that is Eternal Damnation.

How long will the Damned be damned?

Well starting with dying not born again, they will exist in Damnation, in the Lake of Fire, for as Long as God lives.

They will not be given a second chance, in Hell nor in the Lake of Fire, because you can't be born again, once you DIE down here.

Christ died on THIS EARTH, and you have to be BELIEVE in Jesus and be born again on THIS EARTH, or you will die, in "Damnation" and you will never have an opportunity to change that, once you leave this earth .

JOHN 3:36

So, if you are not a Christian.....then you can become one right now..

See that Cross of Christ? That is Jesus paying for your sin, so that you dont have to after you die.

GO to HIM.... Trust Him, and God will make Heaven your Home today, and you never again have to worry about going to Hell.

Thats a promise, and God does not lie.

"ALL who call on the Name of JESUS, shall be saved".

Jesus told you....."All who Believe in me... I GIVE UNTO YOU>.. Eternal Life and you shall never go to Hell (Perish)""

Believe it.

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟107,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So many of these "Hell" sermons are manipulative, trying to "frighten" people into becoming Christians. But if they come to Christ in a false way the end will not be good--things may even become worse.

Hell is simply the place for those who die. Hell itself, as a place for the dead, will be destroyed in the Lake of Fire. That means people who die will come back to life, though those who reject the life of Christ will ultimately experience the 2nd Death in the Lake of Fire. That means they will be forever banned from the Tree of Life and the Paradise of God.

I can't say people can't be Saved after death. I believe it is likely, since many people who do not accept Christ in this life never knew enough to make an honest decision.

Let God be the judge. We will all be held accountable for *what we know.*

How God will deal with people who "didn't know" we can see in Jesus' statement on the cross, "Father, forgive them, for they *know now what they do.* "

Upvote 0

Aviel

Jun 21, 2023
Nashville
✟19,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So many of these "Hell" sermons are manipulative,

Christ's Cross made the way for anyone to end up in Heaven, and not in Hell.

Some refuse it.
Everyone who does, wishes they hadn't , after they died.

John 3:36

Everyone who ends up in Hell, ...believes in it now, and everyone who went there today, now absolutely Believes in Jesus.

= It doesn't change anything for them.

And why is that @RandyPNW

Its because you can't be born again in Hell.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟107,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christ's Cross made the way for anyone to end up in Heaven, and not in Hell.

Some refuse it.
Everyone who does, wishes they hadn't , after they died.

John 3:36

Everyone who ends up in Hell, ...believes in it now, and everyone who went there today, now absolutely Believes in Jesus.

= It doesn't change anything for them.

And why is that @RandyPNW

Its because you can't be born again in Hell.
People God chooses to Save don't go to Hell, the place of the dead who in the NT are lost.

Upvote 0

Aviel

Jun 21, 2023
Nashville
✟19,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
People God chooses to Save

The Cross of Christ is offered to everyone.

John 3:16
John 3:17
2 Corinthians 5:19

If a person believes in Jesus, ("Faith comes by Hearing"") The Gospel..... then God will save them., as "Faith is counted as Righteousness."

The Cross is not Limited by God, its only limited by Calvin.

God is not a Calvinist.

God make CHRISTians.

CALVIN make Calvinists.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟107,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Cross of Christ is offered to everyone.

John 3:16
John 3:17
2 Corinthians 5:19

If a person believes in Jesus, ("Faith comes by Hearing"") The Gospel..... then God will save them., as "Faith is counted as Righteousness."

The Cross is not Limited by God, its only limited by Calvin.

God is not a Calvinist.

God make CHRISTians.

CALVIN make Calvinists.
It goes without saying that we are not saved by Calvin but by Christ. But it is bad to harp against those Christ has called into ministry. It's okay to criticize them if we do so by analyzing them against the Scriptures and if we do it in a right spirit.

There are those who hate Calvin and those who love him. I'm on the "love him" side more. I don't fault those who find his Predestination too stultifying, or overly "boxed in." It's a difficult subject, but in my own opinion those who emphasize Predestination do so to preserve Justification by Faith in Christ alone. Christ alone has the merit and the virtue, and as such, his choices matter more than our choices. How it all works out is anybody's guess...

We love because He loved us first. This is my guiding principle, though I completely accept the idea of "Free Will." That's probably where my embrace of Calvinism falls short, because both Luther and Calvin seemed to have no answer for it.

If this sounds contradictory and like I want to have it "both ways," you'd be right. But I won't try to explain it here, though I've done so elsewhere. It never seems to be a completely satisfying explanation.

Upvote 0

Aviel

Jun 21, 2023
Nashville
✟19,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It goes without saying that we are not saved by Calvin but by Christ. But it is bad to harp against those Christ has called into ministry.

Why do you believe that Calvin was called into the ministry?

Is it because He denies John 3:16, and insults the Grace of God by denying that Jesus on the Cross is offering His Death, in place of everyone's sins who will believe?

Calvinism is a theology, that takes a persons mind and chains it down so that all they can see is : Calvinism.

If they are honest, and ive met a lot of Calvinist who'll lie to you, ...... but if they are honest.....they will say..."Yes, im a Calvinist".... before they will say "im a Christian".

And when they realize that, they'll lie and say....>"oh that's not me"..

= But it is.. as that's how Calvinism rots real faith and truth, and "bewitches" the person who reads it.

Its theological poison and it has poisoned millions.

There are "pretend" "fake" Christian forums that will ban you if you dont kneel before their God, John Calvin.

Really.
You'd be surprised @RandyPNW

Upvote 0

RocK Guy

Apr 4, 2024
Kansas
✟1,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It goes without saying that we are not saved by Calvin but by Christ.

Amen!
thumbsup2.gif

Upvote 0

Jan001

Striving to win the prize...
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟136,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There are those who hate Calvin and those who love him. I'm on the "love him" side more.
God desires us to love everyone with a charitable love.

Romans 13:10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

God desires us to pray for our enemies.

Matthew 5:44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

God desires us to be humble in dealings with our neighbors.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfishness or conceit, but in humility count others better than yourselves.

I don't fault those who find his Predestination too stultifying, or overly "boxed in." It's a difficult subject, but in my own opinion those who emphasize Predestination do so to preserve Justification by Faith in Christ alone. Christ alone has the merit and the virtue, and as such, his choices matter more than our choices. How it all works out is anybody's guess...
Justification by faith alone is not scriptural.

James 2:24 You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.

What criteria did Jesus use to determine which people were his sheep and which people were not? He judged them all by their works. Their works showed him who truly believed in him. His sheep obeyed his commandment to love their neighbors as themselves until they died. The goats did not. Matthew 25:31-46

A person who willfully disobeys Christ's commandments does not actually know Christ or believe in him. Christ does not abide in people who disobey his commandments.

1 John 2:4 He who says “I know him” but disobeys his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him;

John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me.

Luke 6:46 “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you? Matthew 7:22-23

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jan001

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟136,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
.....I don't fault those who find his Predestination too stultifying, or overly "boxed in." It's a difficult subject, but in my own opinion those who emphasize Predestination do so to preserve Justification by Faith in Christ alone. ...................How it all works out is anybody's guess...
I agree that predestination is a difficult subject. :)

Romans 8:29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the first-born among many brethren.

Please note that "those whom he foreknew" means that God knew before the foundation of the world which people would still be faithful—obedient to him at the time of their physical death. It is only these people he predestined to eternal life.

Foreknew is only used in a positive sense in scripture, never in a negative sense.

Romans 11:2 God has not rejected his people whom he foreknew. Do you not know what the scripture says of Elijah, how he pleads with God against Israel?

Predestined, like wise, is only used in a positive sense in scripture, never in a negative sense.

Romans 8:29-30 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the first-born among many brethren. 30 And those whom he predestined he also called; and those whom he called he also justified; and those whom he justified he also glorified.

All of the works of God were finished, including Christ's judgment of all humans, before the world was created. IOW, God knew every action of every person from his birth to his death and so his salvation plan for mankind was put into place even before he created the world. 1 Peter 1:18-20, Acts 2:23, 1 Peter 1:1-2

Hebrews 4:3 For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said, “As I swore in my wrath, ‘They shall never enter my rest,’” although his works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Now, looking at explanation of the following parable, Luke 8:4-8, we can determine which persons are known as the called, which persons are known as the called and justified, and which persons are known as the called, justified, and glorified—and thereby predestined to eternal life before the foundation of the world:

Luke 8: 11-15 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. 12 The ones along the path are those who have heard; then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts [the called], that they may not believe and be saved. 13 And the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear the word, receive it with joy; but these have no root, they believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away [the called and justified]. 14 And as for what fell among the thorns, they are those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by the cares and riches and pleasures of life, and their fruit does not mature. [the called and justified who are lukewarm: Revelation 3:16]15 And as for that in the good soil, they are those who, hearing the word, hold it fast in an honest and good heart, and bring forth fruit with patience [the called, justified, and glorified—predestined].

We each must choose for ourselves—obedience or disobedience; however, our choice will determine where we will spend eternity.

God already knows where each of us will spend eternity, but we don't! John 3:36, Hebrews 4:5-7

Upvote 0

Jan001

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟136,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Christ's suffering and death is not an opportunity for some to get saved by performing the right religious actions.

Christ's suffering and death IS salvation for sinners.

-CryptoLutheran
Why, then, isn't every person saved?

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟107,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree that predestination is a difficult subject. :)

Romans 8:29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the first-born among many brethren.

Please note that "those whom he foreknew" means that God knew before the foundation of the world which people would still be faithful—obedient to him at the time of their physical death. It is only these people he predestined to eternal life.

Foreknew is only used in a positive sense in scripture, never in a negative sense.

Romans 11:2 God has not rejected his people whom he foreknew. Do you not know what the scripture says of Elijah, how he pleads with God against Israel?

Predestined, like wise, is only used in a positive sense in scripture, never in a negative sense.

Romans 8:29-30 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the first-born among many brethren. 30 And those whom he predestined he also called; and those whom he called he also justified; and those whom he justified he also glorified.

All of the works of God were finished, including Christ's judgment of all humans, before the world was created. IOW, God knew every action of every person from his birth to his death and so his salvation plan for mankind was put into place even before he created the world. 1 Peter 1:18-20, Acts 2:23, 1 Peter 1:1-2
I don't actually think it's true that God fully anticipated every action free agents would make. That would contradict the whole idea of freedom! An entirely closed system is not free.

1 Pet 1.1-2 speaks of foreknowledge, but not necessarily of every action we may make. His foreknowledge may refer primarily to Christ, who existed preexistent as God's Word, so that people are prepared to live by and through him.

Acts 2.23 speaks of the foreordination of Christ as a sacrifice from the beginning, which was when Adam and Eve sinned. God's original plan, changed by human failure, had to be mitigated in some way by God's word so that His plans still work out accordingly.

1 Pet 1.20 just speaks of Christ as God's original blueprint for man, who were then created in His image. That is, we were pre-planned to live by an ideal that preceded our creation.

Although I believe we are free agents, and God Himself does not predetermine what choices we will make in every case, I do think God has in place a "fix" for any eventuality, for any choice we make, positive, negative, of indifferent.
Hebrews 4:3 For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said, “As I swore in my wrath, ‘They shall never enter my rest,’” although his works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Now, looking at explanation of the following parable, Luke 8:4-8, we can determine which persons are known as the called, which persons are known as the called and justified, and which persons are known as the called, justified, and glorified—and thereby predestined to eternal life before the foundation of the world:

Luke 8: 11-15 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. 12 The ones along the path are those who have heard; then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts [the called], that they may not believe and be saved. 13 And the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear the word, receive it with joy; but these have no root, they believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away [the called and justified]. 14 And as for what fell among the thorns, they are those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by the cares and riches and pleasures of life, and their fruit does not mature. [the called and justified who are lukewarm: Revelation 3:16]15 And as for that in the good soil, they are those who, hearing the word, hold it fast in an honest and good heart, and bring forth fruit with patience [the called, justified, and glorified—predestined].
I can't categorize each group the way you do, one group as "called," another group as "called and justified," and another group as "called, justified, and lukewarm." Those who succeed were certainly predestined to walk in Christ, since God had made Christ the Word the blueprint for man even before his creation.

Still, I think there is some truth in how you're putting it. People are indeed "called," who do not follow through.

In my view, God had predetermined a certain number who would succeed, as you say, in walking with Christ, ie those "in the good soil." God is not responsible for those who by human sin end up in a bad environment, in "bad soil," who then choose of their own free will to abandon God's blueprint.
We each must choose for ourselves—obedience or disobedience; however, our choice will determine where we will spend eternity.

God already knows where each of us will spend eternity, but we don't! John 3:36, Hebrews 4:5-7
Yes, I'm a Predestinarian. As I said, it's a difficult subject! :)

Upvote 0

Jan001

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟136,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't actually think it's true that God fully anticipated every action free agents would make. That would contradict the whole idea of freedom! An entirely closed system is not free.
God is omniscient. He has total knowledge; he knows everything. There is nothing that he does not know. God does not live in "time." It is always "today" in eternity.

In my view, God had predetermined a certain number who would succeed, as you say, in walking with Christ, ie those "in the good soil." God is not responsible for those who by human sin end up in a bad environment, in "bad soil," who then choose of their own free will to abandon God's blueprint.

Yes, I'm a Predestinarian. As I said, it's a difficult subject! :)
I think God predetermined to have mankind live on earth until the number of his faithful-until-death people equaled the number of fallen angels. :)

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟107,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God is omniscient. He has total knowledge; he knows everything. There is nothing that he does not know. God does not live in "time." It is always "today" in eternity.
Sounds good, but you can't possibly know what God knows. For me, it's simply illogical for God to grant free choices to men, and then declare that He knows in advance how they will choose.
I think God predetermined to have mankind live on earth until the number of his faithful-until-death people equaled the number of fallen angels. :)
I have no idea how God came up with the number. But I agree that there must be some logical idea behind it. Well above my pay grade....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟735,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Why, then, isn't every person saved?

Cur alii, alii non?
Why some and not others?

That's the interesting question isn't it.

Lutherans call it the Crux Theologorum, the Theologian's Cross.

Take everything Scripture says about salvation, God's purpose, will, and desire to save. To save only some? No, to save everyone. Why, then, are some saved and not others?

Is it because some are more righteous, some make the right decisions and do the right things and are rewarded for their effort? That can't be, for "there is no one who is righteous, not even one" "for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God" etc. Is it because God has chosen only to save some, but not the others? That can't be, for God "desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." "The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance." etc.

So in Scripture we see the following:

1. God wills that everyone be saved, and He sent Christ His only-begotten Son to suffer and die for all of us, to save all of us.

2. There is nothing we can do to affect our own salvation, it is not by our effort and will that we can be saved, for there is no righteousness in us and we are entirely sinful and unclean.

3. We are saved exclusively by God's grace, which He accomplishes through faith which He Himself gives freely.

That leaves us with the question: Why some and not others? Cur alii, alii non?

It's not because God's grace is insufficient, it's not because the Cross is insufficient.

The only answer we get in Scripture is that it's us, we're the reason. It's not that some people choose to obey and believe, and some choose not to--for again it's not about our works, it's about God's grace. It's God's choice to save us that saves us. So then we are passive in receiving salvation, God acts, God gives, I receive; as a passive agent, like a beggar receiving what is put into his hands.
But we are active in resisting and rejecting God's free gift of salvation.

So we are passive in salvation, what God gives He gives freely and indiscriminately, to us sinners because He loves us and has always loved us. Christ died for us, He died in your place, in my place, for everyone. But we are active in our damnation, we resist, we reject, we refuse; we spurn and despise the gifts of God.

That's the answer to the question "Why some and not others?" Because the others refuse.

But that also leaves us with even more questions. Questions that we can't answer: If we are all sinful, our inclination is to resust and reject, and some are "successful" (not the right word in this context obviously) in rejecting God's grace all the way to their grave, then how come some are won over?

There's no difference in quality, in morality, in righteousness between a believer and a non-beleiver. The only difference is faith. Why do some believe, and not others? Because God freely gives faith as pure grace (Ephesians 2:8) and works and creates that faith through the Gospel (Romans 10:17) yet not all believe. And so not all are saved. ... But why?

And again and again we run in circles--chasing a question that we cannot answer.

Some try to answer it, of course. The Calvinist says it's because God chose to save some, but passed over or neglected the rest. The Arminian says it is because there is a common or prevenient grace that helps alleviate the worst of man's sinfulness and enables the human will to do one singular good work, and that is to believe. Some might go so far as to argue that our good works can merit us favor or righteousness or salvation; whether empowered by grace or without (the latter being Pelagianism which is held as heretical).

I believe all of those answers are wrong and contradict Scripture.

What's left then is something else: I don't know, but this I do know that Christ Jesus died for me, and He says that where He is, I will be also.

And that is Good News to me, a sinner. Therefore, by the mercy and kindness of God, let me abide in faith in Jesus, who justifies me, repenting and confessing of all my sins, and learning to walk in humble obedience to God--imperfectly and unrighteously--because I belong to Him for He has claimed me and covered me with His life. For His precious and shed blood covers all of my iniquities, and I am presented holy before the Father, clothed with the unfailing righteousness of Jesus Christ my Lord. And no lie of Satan, no human scheme, not death, nor life, nor height, nor depth, nor things above or below, can separate me from the love of God that is in Jesus Christ.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Jan001

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟136,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Sounds good, but you can't possibly know what God knows. For me, it's simply illogical for God to grant free choices to men, and then declare that He knows in advance how they will choose.
Since God is omniscient, he knows in advance how people will choose. He does not make their choices for them. The past, present, and future actions of every human being are known by God. He sees all of these actions presently. There is only "today," the "present," in eternity.

Upvote 0

Jan001

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟136,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Cur alii, alii non?
Why some and not others?

That's the interesting question isn't it.

Lutherans call it the Crux Theologorum, the Theologian's Cross.

Take everything Scripture says about salvation, God's purpose, will, and desire to save. To save only some? No, to save everyone. Why, then, are some saved and not others?

Is it because some are more righteous, some make the right decisions and do the right things and are rewarded for their effort? That can't be, for "there is no one who is righteous, not even one" "for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God" etc. Is it because God has chosen only to save some, but not the others? That can't be, for God "desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." "The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance." etc.

So in Scripture we see the following:

1. God wills that everyone be saved, and He sent Christ His only-begotten Son to suffer and die for all of us, to save all of us.

2. There is nothing we can do to affect our own salvation, it is not by our effort and will that we can be saved, for there is no righteousness in us and we are entirely sinful and unclean.

3. We are saved exclusively by God's grace, which He accomplishes through faith which He Himself gives freely.

That leaves us with the question: Why some and not others? Cur alii, alii non?

It's not because God's grace is insufficient, it's not because the Cross is insufficient.

The only answer we get in Scripture is that it's us, we're the reason. It's not that some people choose to obey and believe, and some choose not to--for again it's not about our works, it's about God's grace. It's God's choice to save us that saves us. So then we are passive in receiving salvation, God acts, God gives, I receive; as a passive agent, like a beggar receiving what is put into his hands.
But we are active in resisting and rejecting God's free gift of salvation.

So we are passive in salvation, what God gives He gives freely and indiscriminately, to us sinners because He loves us and has always loved us. Christ died for us, He died in your place, in my place, for everyone. But we are active in our damnation, we resist, we reject, we refuse; we spurn and despise the gifts of God.

That's the answer to the question "Why some and not others?" Because the others refuse.

But that also leaves us with even more questions. Questions that we can't answer: If we are all sinful, our inclination is to resust and reject, and some are "successful" (not the right word in this context obviously) in rejecting God's grace all the way to their grave, then how come some are won over?

There's no difference in quality, in morality, in righteousness between a believer and a non-beleiver. The only difference is faith. Why do some believe, and not others? Because God freely gives faith as pure grace (Ephesians 2:8) and works and creates that faith through the Gospel (Romans 10:17) yet not all believe. And so not all are saved. ... But why?

And again and again we run in circles--chasing a question that we cannot answer.

Some try to answer it, of course. The Calvinist says it's because God chose to save some, but passed over or neglected the rest. The Arminian says it is because there is a common or prevenient grace that helps alleviate the worst of man's sinfulness and enables the human will to do one singular good work, and that is to believe. Some might go so far as to argue that our good works can merit us favor or righteousness or salvation; whether empowered by grace or without (the latter being Pelagianism which is held as heretical).

I believe all of those answers are wrong and contradict Scripture.

What's left then is something else: I don't know, but this I do know that Christ Jesus died for me, and He says that where He is, I will be also.

And that is Good News to me, a sinner. Therefore, by the mercy and kindness of God, let me abide in faith in Jesus, who justifies me, repenting and confessing of all my sins, and learning to walk in humble obedience to God--imperfectly and unrighteously--because I belong to Him for He has claimed me and covered me with His life. For His precious and shed blood covers all of my iniquities, and I am presented holy before the Father, clothed with the unfailing righteousness of Jesus Christ my Lord. And no lie of Satan, no human scheme, not death, nor life, nor height, nor depth, nor things above or below, can separate me from the love of God that is in Jesus Christ.

-CryptoLutheran
It is true that it is God's grace that saves us. We, however, must cooperate with that grace in order to receive and maintain his saving grace.

To believe is a work. To be baptized is a work. To be obedient is a work. There is no faith in God without obedience to his commandments.

Hebrews 5:8-10 Although he was a Son, he learned obedience through what he suffered; 9 and being made perfect he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him, 10 being designated by God a high priest after the order of Melchizedek.

James 2:17 So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead.

A living faith always expresses itself in righteous works. Mathew 25:31-46

James 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he offered his son Isaac upon the altar?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟735,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It is true that it is God's grace that saves us. We, however, must cooperate with that grace in order to receive and maintain his saving grace.

To believe is a work. To be baptized is a work. To be obedient is a work. There is no faith in God without obedience to his commandments.

Hebrews 5:8-10 Although he was a Son, he learned obedience through what he suffered; 9 and being made perfect he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him, 10 being designated by God a high priest after the order of Melchizedek.

James 2:17 So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead.

A living faith always expresses itself in righteous works. Mathew 25:31-46

James 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he offered his son Isaac upon the altar?

I'm familiar with how these questions are addressed and answered in Catholicism.

But I can't agree, for the same reasons Lutherans have always been unable to agree with them: Scripture does not permit us to take credit, there is no cooperating with God's grace in our justification, justification is something received, declared about us, on Christ's account alone.

God's works are of course powerful, living, true, and efficacious; so faith and baptism are efficacious because they are God's works.

Our works, including our obedience, are without power to justify; if it were possible for our works to justify then we could boast, but boasting is in every way excluded. No one who stands before the Lord on the future day will be able to stand there and say, "Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name? Did we not do mighty deeds in Your name?" For He will say to them, "I never knew you". There is no righteousness before God in our works. None.

You are correct that living faith expresses itself in righteous works; but it is faith, and not works, which justify us before God. The works we do are not for God's benefit, but for the benefit of our neighbor, "Go and do likewise" (Luke 10:37).

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Jan001

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟136,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm familiar with how these questions are addressed and answered in Catholicism.

But I can't agree, for the same reasons Lutherans have always been unable to agree with them: Scripture does not permit us to take credit, there is no cooperating with God's grace in our justification, justification is something received, declared about us, on Christ's account alone.

God's works are of course powerful, living, true, and efficacious; so faith and baptism are efficacious because they are God's works.

You are correct that living faith expresses itself in righteous works; but it is faith, and not works, which justify us before God. The works we do are not for God's benefit, but for the benefit of our neighbor, "Go and do likewise" (Luke 10:37).

-CryptoLutheran
Jesus shows us the criteria that he will use to judge us and determine if we are worthy to inherit eternal life.

Here is his criteria:

Mathew 25:31-46
When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will place the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink; I was a stranger and you welcomed me; 36 I was naked and you clothed me; I was ill and you took care of me; I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will say to him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and give you something to eat, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 When did we see you ill or in prison and come to visit you?’ 40 And the King will answer, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brethren of mine, you did for me.

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you did not give me anything to eat; I was thirsty and you did not give me anything to drink; 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me; I was naked and you did not give me any clothing; I was ill and in prison and you did not visit me.’

44 “Then they will ask him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison and not minister to you?’ 45 He will answer them, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you failed to do for one of the least of these brethren of mine, you failed to do for me.’ 46 And they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous will enter eternal life.”

Jesus will not ask us if we had faith in him. It is our good works or lack of them that will determine our eternal abode, heaven or hell.

I believe Jesus! He will be the judge.

Upvote 0