• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Head injury and dissociation

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

When young I had on two occasions at school of hard impacts to the back of my head. On one occasion a faint came over me and I fell backwards. Both times no one really took much notice but I felt shattered and barely able to cope and in a sense I was trying very hard to make my feelings following the impact go away so I could cope and get through the rest of the day at school...

I don't know if this was dissociation - but I had one instance years later of a temporary fugue state and confusion about who I was. Thank God that never has reoccured. I hope and pray it never will. But if people don't truly understand the condition they can needlessly make things a lot worse for the person suffering.

Last edited:

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What happened the first time was probably concussion. In my experience dissociation comes from much more severe and prolonged trauma. I don't think you need to worry, but talking to your doctor about it could be helpful.

John
NZ

Last edited:
Reactions: KayJoy
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I generally am, even if others have not been at times.

I'd like to delete my thread thanks.

The fugue and confusion about who you were years later would not be concussion unless there was a new head trauma. Try to be aware of any similar feelings and if it happens again talk to a doctor. Fugue could suggest dissociation of some kind, but I would not be able to say for sure, or say what kind it might be.

Reactions: KayJoy
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
OK, thanks I don't really want to say more on a forum...I just wanted to point out that its something that needs handled carefully.

Having a diploma as so many do in 'psychology' isn't adequate it takes a lot more personal skills and experience. I really wish psychology wasn't available as it sometimes is to any student doing higher school or university courses - 'a little learning is a dangerous thing...' these courses should be limited to those in professions - medical, nursing etc, and those old and wise enough to distinguish the core of common sense in psychology from all the chaff in it that helps no one.

Upvote 0