Head Coverings of 1 Corinthians 11:1-16

AGTG

Mar 11, 2014
✟6,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This passage has confused many Christians down the ages. This is because it's a bit complex, and Paul uses natural metaphors to represent spiritual truths. By the time you finish watching this video, you will understand this passage completely. If this teaching blessed you, please share the video, learn the teaching, and teach it to others in the Body that believers will be built up and matured for the glory of Christ Jesus.

ClickThisLinkhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMTR_90aONc

Last edited:

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
1 Corinthians 11:1-16King James Version (KJV)
11 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.

3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.

5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

8 For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man.

9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.

12 For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.

13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?

14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
To me the key verse is the last one ... But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.
So it seems to me that the guy in the clip totally missed half of what Paul was saying.
It might also be important to know that the Greek didn't have different words for woman and wife. They are the same Greek word and modern English translate wife or woman based on how the translator thinks the context would best carry the meaning he things Paul has.
As I think about his comments talking about the priesthood of all believers and then seems to take that away by talking of the headship of the man over the wife. That's not how I'm interested in my relationships to be, be they marriage or other wise.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
A few might find the introduction to Thiseltons's 9 page treatment of 1Cor 11:4 to be of some interest. As his work covers nine pages this would be pushing the boundaries of fair copying so this will need to suffice.

The First Epistle to the Corinthians: Thiselton pg. 823

Archaeological evidence from Rome itself to the Roman East is unambiguous, Oster urges, in depicting the "liturgical head covering" of men when they pray or use prophetic speech: "the practice of men covering their heads in the context of prayer and prophecy was a common pattern of Roman piety and widespread during the late Republic and early Empire. Since Corinth was a Roman colony, there should be little doubt that this aspect of Roman religious practice deserves greater attention by commentators than it was received."108

Horsley (1998) is one of the most recent writers to argue that Romans and Jews prayed with heads . . . covered, in contrast to the Greek practice of praying bareheaded.109 Yet Oster also insists that it is a third standard "error"to impose "later Jewish practices onto the Corinthian situation."110 Bruce, Barrett, Kiimmel, and Oepke, among others, all appeal to Jewish traditions.111 We also know from archaeological evidence that there was a Jewish synagogue at Corinth.112 Nevertheless, Oster argues that neither the OT, nor the LXX, nor Qumran, nor the Gospels, nor Philo, nor Josephus, nor even the Mishnoh offers any evidence for this. Hypotheses that men wore the traditional Jewish tallith oryarmulke "distort the historical use of the prayer shawl by Jewish men."113 The context of wrapping oneself in a cloak "while absolving his vows ... is not the specific activity that Paul addresses," even if the Tosefta mentions such a practice.114

Footnotes
108. Ibid., 69. For evidence cf., e.g., B. S. Ridgway, “Sculpture from Corinth,” Hesperia 50 (1981): 432-33; and F. R Johnson, Corinth, IX: Sculpture 1896-1923 (Cambridge Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1931), 70-72; E. Alfoldi-Rosenbaum, Roman and Early Byzantine Portrait Sculpture in Asia Minor (London: Oxford University Press, 1966). See further Oster, “When Men Wore Veils to Worship: The Historical Context of 1 Cor 11:4,” 481-505, and the statue of Augustus in the Julian Basilica in James Wiseman, Corinth and Rome (1979), 1, Plate 8.
109. Horsley, 1 Cor, 154.
110. Oster, “When Men Wore Veils to Worship,” NTS 34 (1988): 487.
111. Barrett, First Epistle, 249-50; Bruce, 1 and 2 Cor, 104; A. Oepke, “koAutttio” TDNT,
3:563.
112. For archaeological evidence of the inscription concerning the synagogue, see the reproduction in Wiseman, Corinth and Rome, Plate 5, no. 8.
113. Oster, “When Men Wore Veils to Worship,” 487.
114. Ibid., 488.

The First Epistle to the Corinthians: A Commentary on the Greek Text, Anthony C. Thiselton (2000)
Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Interesting ...
Makes me glad that Jesus is my righteousness and not a culture from some nation. Cause I really don't want to have to figure out the nuisance between Roman and Greek and Hebrew cultures at the time of the early church to know what to do!

Upvote 0