Sep 7, 2005
✟340.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have been doing a lot of research, and I'm starting to see that God does want Christian women to cover their heads.

Do Pentocostals typically practice this or no?

If you do cover, do you cover at all times or just in prayer. And if do cover all the time, how did you start doing it? I guess I feel a bit self-concious about it right now.

:prayer:

Emma!

Veteran
Nov 3, 2003
✟9,482.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
humbleservant86 said:
I have been doing a lot of research, and I'm starting to see that God does want Christian women to cover their heads.

Do Pentocostals typically practice this or no?

If you do cover, do you cover at all times or just in prayer. And if do cover all the time, how did you start doing it? I guess I feel a bit self-concious about it right now.

:prayer:

So why is it that you think that you should cover your head? Just wondering :scratch: i also havent seen this in any churches i have been to...

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
you will see this in the Brethern, Amish, and Friends societies. There are some churches over in England where it is expected also. it is done as a symbol and recognition of the "covering" (authority) of a husband over his wife or a father over his daughters in all spiritual matters, so that the wife/daughter will not outshine her husband/father and usurp or disregard the authority and responsibility given to him by God.

I agree that we have gotten away from this today and it is not often taught.
50 years ago it was quite common for women to wear hats to church. and before that women going out into public places would also not be caught without a hat outside the house, even if it was a utilitarian sunbonnet.

Upvote 0

Unoriginal

Aug 28, 2005
✟7,649.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Thankfully women these days here in the states dont have to go by those (in my opinion and hopefully I dont offend anyone) rediculous rules, at the churches ive been to. The women at all the AoG churches that Ive been to wear whatever they want...you feel like sweatpants...or shorts....or pants....or skirts...or dresses..whatever ....the bible says Man see's the outside , but God see's the inside.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jluvjesus4ever

Mar 2, 2005
Boise, ID
✟7,715.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
okay from studying on my own and getting history and other's opinions on the matter and i prayed on it (not all in this order). This is what i think...pray on it-take it to the Lord and follow peace...in 1 Corinthians 11 it says women should cover their heads in prayer and prophesying. Why? good question. In the Corinthian church there was major adultery, all kinds of crazy sexual immorality, and insane lust. in covering their head, they were showing that they respect authority, and that they weren't going to disrupt service in a disrespectful manner. Why? because there were many who disrupted service by talking out in times that were not supported or approved of by the authorities in the church and God even. Also covering the head set the women of God apart from women of prostitution in the church because that was so big then. this is not a blanketed thing though. it doesn't seem to intend that forever or for every church from then on women should do this. it's really saying to dress modestly so you will be set apart from the women of unholy hearts who display it through their clothing and jewelry and all this as well as their actions. 1 tim 5:22 says don't be hasty in the laying on of hands (inother words guard the presence of God it is precious be careful who you give it out to and don't do it flippantly), do not share in other's sins and keep yourself pure...that is the whole idea to that verse and 1 tim 5:22 is blanketed...this is for all of us to follow.

Upvote 0

allin1

Sep 7, 2005
✟136.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Head coverings...Well, I know its in the God's word, and the show of submissiveness applied regarding to their husbands being the authority of the house(wonder what happened on that one?) so, should we do it today? I think if the Holy Spirit is leading you to do this, then do it. Theres nothing wrong with it, so long as you don't allow it to get you into bondage or legalism. Just make sure your doing it because you know its what He wants. I might add though, if you don't, it does not make God any less pleased with you. He doesn't love us for our works. He loves us far deeper than that. Be Blessed.

Reactions: byhisstripes
Upvote 0

allieisme

I am ME
Apr 1, 2002
✟19,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Being Pentecostal, I've never heard of head coverings either. We are allowed to wear pretty much anything at church.. Jeans, shorts, skirts, dresses.
I mean you have to use your best judgement of course, like not exposing to much skin, like on some summer dresses.

Reactions: byhisstripes
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maidryn

Mar 12, 2008
Alberta
Visit site
✟7,704.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one interested in this topic. I've belonged to three different Pentecostal Churches in Canada and I have never seen a woman with her head covered. Yet, the Pentecostals I know seem to believe that we should take the Bible literally. I understand sometimes that some things have to be taken in context and others it's the "spirit" of the law that counts more than the actual law. That being said, reading the Bible on my own, I seem to interpret it as we should wear head coverings. I can't see any reason to "excuse" us from doing this. When I ask various leaders in the Pentecostal Church (Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada) I can't get a straight answer. They tell me, "If you want to, that's fine." But I wasn't seeking permission I want to know why no one can give me a plain reason why, as a church, we don't maintain this practice any longer. When did we stop? If we have decided to ignore this part of Scripture, surely there must be a clear reason why. Is there a verse somewhere in the Bible that excuses us from this? That tells us it is no longer necessary to do this? Does anyone know of one?

Upvote 0

Elle_For_Short

Feb 6, 2006
California
✟738.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
In the latin american pentecostal churches, a few, and I mean a few do wear head covering, but mostly only when they pray or when they are praising God. And only at church, not at the supermarket or anything. My church doesn't do it, and most churches I know don't. But I do know one or two that do. Many women do it to show respect to God.I mostly know older women who do this. My mom does it when she prays at home but not at church. I on the other hand do not. But its not because I think it is wrong. I am just not used to it.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I don't wear my hair super-short, so I feel my hair is my headcovering.

There are different takes on this very delicate issue. If a woman feels convicted to wear one, that's good, but that does not make said woman any "holier" than one who does not have these exact convictions. That goes for any other special conviction, as well, such as choosing to read only the King James Version, thinking women should only wear dresses, not owning a TV set, not listening to any "non-traditional" music styles, choosing not to eat meat, and so on and so forth (see Romans 14 for details).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.