Aug 23, 2007
✟785,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I just need to unload this. I'm sorry. I don't want to keep making these kinds of posts but please consider how painful it is for me.

My dad is on a new kick to sabotage my walk with God. The newest thing is him saying how he wants to bring relatives from Pakistan (he doesn’t say who though) to live closer to us – and when I expressed my objection, he retorted “Is CHRISTIANITY more important??” When I accused him of doing this on purpose, he denied it, but I don’t believe it. He knows how much this makes me uncomfortable, and I don't doubt for a single moment that he doesn't relish in what he believes is the "fact" that I will give up the faith for the sake of his relatives, who I have no responsibility to obey. Even if my dad is doing this out of genuine desire to have his family around, I can't believe that he isn't dying for this to happen to me.

I'm not sure I can get Communion next time around (I just did confession on Ash Wednesday) because the thought crossed my mind "I hate his guts." I tried to sweep it aside, and I think I did (I don't know how long it took), but I'm still nothing short of exasperated at him.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Michie

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I just need to unload this. I'm sorry. I don't want to keep making these kinds of posts but please consider how painful it is for me.

My dad is on a new kick to sabotage my walk with God. The newest thing is him saying how he wants to bring relatives from Pakistan (he doesn’t say who though) to live closer to us – and when I expressed my objection, he retorted “Is CHRISTIANITY more important??” When I accused him of doing this on purpose, he denied it, but I don’t believe it. He knows how much this makes me uncomfortable, and I don't doubt for a single moment that he doesn't relish in what he believes is the "fact" that I will give up the faith for the sake of his relatives, who I have no responsibility to obey. Even if my dad is doing this out of genuine desire to have his family around, I can't believe that he isn't dying for this to happen to me.

I'm not sure I can get Communion next time around (I just did confession on Ash Wednesday) because the thought crossed my mind "I hate his guts." I tried to sweep it aside, and I think I did (I don't know how long it took), but I'm still nothing short of exasperated at him.
Exasperating. Does he realize the anguish he causes you?

Do you have the ability to live independently?

Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Exasperating. Does he realize the anguish he causes you?

Do you have the ability to live independently?
I don't want to give my life's story but no I don't have the ability to live independently, but neither does my dad (he has different reasons for not being able to be independent though). Even if I could live independently, if such relatives were to move near us, I still don't feel like I can escape having to "abide by their lifestyle." I just want to be away from these people and for them not to know where I lived, if I did live independently. I feel like I'm "hating" people I never met, but if you were me, you'd understand these feelings. I was in my 20s when I started feeling this despair about my future, and I didn't know that I'd still be writing about this in my 40s. This is ridiculous.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I don't want to give my life's story but no I don't have the ability to live independently, but neither does my dad (he has different reasons for not being able to be independent though). Even if I could live independently, if such relatives were to move near us, I still don't feel like I can escape having to "abide by their lifestyle." I just want to be away from these people and for them not to know where I lived, if I did live independently. I feel like I'm "hating" people I never met, but if you were me, you'd understand these feelings. I was in my 20s when I started feeling this despair about my future, and I didn't know that I'd still be writing about this in my 40s. This is ridiculous.
My only advice is offer this to the Lord on behalf of your dads conversion.

The oyster takes the sand irritating it and turns it into a pearl.
HUGS

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I am in my late 20s and do not have the ability to live independently either (I cannot drive due to panic attacks, my dad will be 70 this month, my mom is 60, but I work full time). I live in the midwest where public transportation is beyond terrible. I was abused a lot during driver's ed and according to a counselor I have PTSD. I will not go further on. I bet by the time I am in my 40s my dad will probably be dead and my mom will be very old. I do not know what he future has in store for me. I can only trust in God's mercy and faithfulness.

Keep praying. It's all you can do.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I am in my late 20s and do not have the ability to live independently either (I cannot drive due to panic attacks, my dad will be 70 this month, my mom is 60, but I work full time). I live in the midwest where public transportation is beyond terrible. I was abused a lot during driver's ed and according to a counselor I have PTSD. I will not go further on. I bet by the time I am in my 40s my dad will probably be dead and my mom will be very old. I do not know what he future has in store for me. I can only trust in God's mercy and faithfulness.

Keep praying. It's all you can do.
I'm adding this intention in my prayers, friend.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums