NRS

Feb 16, 2011
✟7,611.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Howdy!

I suppose I need to introduce myself. I' Nick, I joined the forums here quite a while back, and really haven't hung around too much, but just really needed to talk to some folks outside my friend circle.

First off, I'm moderately well versed (pun intended) in the Scriptures and was raised well. Christian (Baptist) teaching took fairly strong root in my young heart. However, due to a mix of a very logical mind and some serious emotional repression in my early to late teens, I have some issues. On top of this, faith does not come naturally to me, and I find myself more at home in philosophy and mathematics then in the Scriptures (I am aware of their connection). However I have sought to take up my cross daily despite my failings.

What I have been struggling with the most in recent days is Hell. It's been a stone in my shoe for the past 5 or so years, but I sort of pushed it to the back of the mind. This summer though, I was working a repetitive cleaning job and my mind just sort of idly ranged around it's collected ideas, and the concept of Hell became a stumbling block to my soul.

I will try to put it succinctly. I am a pretty empathetic person when it comes to injustice. This past year I have gotten a lot closer to unbelieving friends and a bit further from solid Christian ones. Up until this point, I just forced myself to accept that 95% of people around me would go to Hell, and there just wasn't much I could do about it. This addition of new associates in my life (in addition to several friends falling away from their Christianity) put faces to the 95%. Over the course of the summer, the idea of all that inevitable, inescapable pain around me and for all eternity made me almost physically sick, and I almost got suicidal at several points over the pure hopelessness and magnitude of the suffering, as well as the Job-style questioning of its purpose.

I have gotten to the point where I wish that I could go to Hell if there would be a guarantee that no one else would have to. A tryst with TULIP in my early teens did nothing to help my mindset.

So at this point, I'm quite distant from God. My Christian faith and resolve were already crumbling but this has really pushed me away. I don't consider myself an ex-Christian, but this issue has really added a lot more strain to my relationship with the Creator (strain from my end, not his of course).

I understand the arguments for (and against) a literal Hell, that's not why I'm here. I'm here to find out how other people deal with this whole wall of text I dropped up there.

Sorry for the essay, just had to share my heart.
Thanks for reading.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well.
I will just share what I know of hell, and thats Jesus warned us of it and doesnt want us to go there!

As for your mindset, well, Im not a particularly mathematical person so I dont think that 95% of people go there...I dont know what the entire population of the world has been ever since time began, but what I do know is that a third of the angels rebelled and got sent or appointed to go there and I suppose that they are trying their best to drag humans down with them. This battle for souls has been going on ever since adam and eve.

So why did Jesus come? To save us! Anyone who believes in Him will not end up there. And he DID die so that we wont be condemned. So thats why we spread the gospel. Nobody is actually born a christian, we must be born AGAIN.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 26:3, "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee."

Sin and Hell are by nature overwhelming and discouraging topics in themselves. The more time spent, the worse it can get -- unless such thoughts drive us to the cross. Seriously consider spending less time with unbelieving friends. Their company will do your soul very little good. As Issac Watts put it, "Is this vile world a friend to grace, to help me on to God?"

Dwelling on Hell may have embittered you toward God. If you are becoming estranged to Him it is ultimately because of sin. Examine your heart and ask God to reveal this to you. (Psalms 139:23-24).

You're right, we have no power to change men's hearts. But God does, that's precisely why he's commanded mere "clay pots" to point men to the way of Heaven (2 Corinthians 4:7).

Upvote 0