United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, once or twice.
I think it is embarrassing. It kind of screws up what I had planned in my mind. I mean, I didn't wail but I was choking up. You are fine & then boom. I'm not a big crier either.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I think it is embarrassing. It kind of screws up what I had planned in my mind. I mean, I didn't wail but I was choking up. You are fine & then boom. I'm not a big crier either.

I know God is quite pleased with you Michie. Don't be embarrassed. Truthfully, I cry in prayer all the time. It just comes naturally.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know God is quite pleased with you Michie. Don't be embarrassed. Truthfully, I cry in prayer all the time. It just comes naturally.
Thank you for the kind words. I just get embarrassed & was hoping this was more common than not.

Last edited:
Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn't worry about it. I don't cry a lot, but confession is an emotional time. There's one priest who yells at you, so it hard not to feel bad after. I try to avoid going to confession with him cuz he makes an emotional situation worse.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn't worry about it. I don't cry a lot, but confession is an emotional time. There's one priest who yells at you, so it hard not to feel bad after. I try to avoid going to confession with him cuz he makes an emotional situation worse.
Yikes! :eek:

It's nothing the priests do. Maybe it's just my nerves.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

:( Sorry to hear that.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
:( Sorry to hear that.

He yells "Don't do that!" instead of just listening to what I'm saying. Some of the stuff I have issues with are out of my control, so it's not like I can just quit on a dime. He needs to have more compassion. The one priest I kind of like confessing to is a "visiting" priest, so he's never available for confession and my parish priest asks too many questions. I end up feeling like I'm on the witness stand in a trial. I wish I could find a confessor I could have a good relationship with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
there is one priest who I go to see
he is very wise and I often cry when in confession when I go to see him
I always do confession behind the screen
but I have a VERY distinct voice, some say I sound almost british lol, I had a speech inpedement as a kid, so a slight hang over from that plus years of speech therapy means I have a distinctive voice

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
He yells "Don't do that!" instead of just listening to what I'm saying. Some of the stuff I have issues with are out of my control, so it's not like I can just quit on a dime. He needs to have more compassion. The one priest I kind of like confessing to is a "visiting" priest, so he's never available for confession and my parish priest asks too many questions. I end up feeling like I'm on the witness stand in a trial. I wish I could find a confessor I could have a good relationship with.

I'm surprised he hasn't got into trouble for that. Very surprised.

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yes, yes I have. When I wasn't treating my mental illness, I cried all the time, even in front of people. It was so embarrassing. Now I'm healthier and more stoic. But confession always made me cry because I struggled with intense self-hatred for committing sins.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

We don't have confessions, but if you feel embarrassed at all I invite you to remember King David. That is KING David, the undisputed political leader of an entire people who's word could make or end wars and change society to his will. A man who was appointed by the Lord to be the King and who had an amazing relationship with the Lord. King David basically confessed to the entire universe for all time after being shown by Nathan the depth of his faults.

For reference:
Tehillim - Chapter 51 - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

You can really feel his emotion there and, one would imagine, he probably cried often when thinking about this mistake.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I too have broken down sobbing in Confession. Just can't help it. I actually feel sorry for the priest when that happens. I'm sure he doesn't know what to do.

If it's any help to you--a nun once told me that the tears are very healing and I know that in some Jewish stories, God Counts a woman's tears.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No. I'm always very businesslike when I confess. "I committed X sin multiple times, Y sin a few times, Z once."

Never had a priest yell at me. Sometimes they chide me a bit if I haven't been to confession or Mass in a long time.

Upvote 0

New_Found_Faith

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2004
✟30,978.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

I definitely suggest traveling to the next parish or town over for confession. Keep going until you find a decent confessor. It's important to feel comfortable i confession, not defensive or afraid.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, I haven't. But hiding one's emotions wouldn't matter anyway in Orthodoxy. There is no "screen" or "box" or curtain between the penitent and the spiritual Father. He knows us intimately, knows our struggles, and it is the relationship between a patient and physician's assistant! :) Nothing held back and no anonymity. At first I was terrified at this, but upon my FIRST Orthodox confession I found it the most liberating confession of my life! And ever since becoming Orthodox, I have felt the power of confession there. Sins I used to struggle with for 25 plus years have withered on the vine!

But no, I've never cried. I have been embarrassed and melancholy about my sins though!

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,729.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I have - on more than one occasion too .

Even when I've been at the Iconostasis - and I look at Him - and realise just what I have done then I am truly ashamed at the hurt I have caused . When I then feel the Epitrachelion on my head and I'm absolved and I kiss the ends of the Epitrachil then I know I'm free from my sins again ----- until the next time.

It doesn't matter where I Confess - the Iconostas , the Sacristy or my Fr Confessor's Study , sometimes tears come sometimes they don't .

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That physical contact in confession is a huge difference between East and West honestly. The epitrachelion over the head is ALWAYS powerful! The first time for me, it was mind-blowing! Still is, frankly.

Also the wording when absolution takes place, where the priest acts more as a witness to your sins and your advocate before Christ, it's really amazing!

display_image.php

I have - on more than one occasion too .

Even when I've been at the Iconostasis - and I look at Him - and realise just what I have done then I am truly ashamed at the hurt I have caused . When I then feel the Epitrachelion on my head and I'm absolved and I kiss the ends of the Epitrachil then I know I'm free from my sins again ----- until the next time.

It doesn't matter where I Confess - the Iconostas , the Sacristy or my Fr Confessor's Study , sometimes tears come sometimes they don't .

Upvote 0