Have you been beaten into change?

Does being attacked for your beliefs cause you to want to change them?

• Yes, I have changed what I believe because of the attacks.

• NO. The attacks only solidify my stance!

• The attacks have caused me to rethink my beliefs.

• Seeing others endure attacks makes me think their may be something to what they are saying!

• Other, I do not know, huh?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ANM29

Nov 11, 2003
In My Father's Hands..No Safer Place To Be
✟10,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think many people are coming to a consensus about being at the mercy of what we believe. I think it changes.. but only over a (relative) long period of time and only if you are predisposed toward the new belief.
The day I was saved, when I called on the name of the Lord to be saved... I do not recall deciding to believe that Jesus was Lord. I just KNEW He was. All I choose to do was to call on His name to be saved.
But I think we are all in the same boat. We are all at the mercy of the truth that has found us, and so what is the use beating each other up over things that we cannot talk each other out of??
We all just need to give each other a break! That, IMHO, is the best we can do right now. I think the Lord will eventually bring us closer together in truth... but until then... let's all ease up on each other and fellowship around the things we DO agree on!
Dids

I agree..That is kinda why I hardly post on CF anymore. There is no reason to keep going around circles on the same subjects. I don't like to fight over and over, though I will debate here and there. At heart though, it really does not matter to be anymore. It is God's business and I beginning to see how we all are on different pages and levels and stages in life and with God....

I totally understand what you mean. Things changed for me over a long-period of time, it did not happen over-night..Actually, some things did happen over night.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟566,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am saddened by your story. This is not the way these things are supposed to happen. I pray for your continued growth and healing.
A series of events led me to finally leave the charismatic church I had belonged to for almost ten years, and eventually all "spirit-filled" churches. They began with the negative attitudes and then subtle treatments of both myself and others over differences regarding the more extreme doctrines such as end-times, demonology, manifestation of the Holy Spirit (the demand for the evidence of tongues), and finally the name-it-claim-it teachings, mainly coming out of the Copeland camp. I watched a poor family struggle both physically and spiritually to keep their young boy alive who had been stricken with an aggressive form of cancer, and even after all-night prayer vigils, the boy died in agony. Slowly, like a cancer of its own, I watched parishioners demonize the parents. Someone was to blame for their faithful prayers not being answered. The grieving parents ended up leaving the church. The final act that prompted me to leave came when my own father died an early death, one specifically he had claimed, in the name of Jesus, would never take him. "The curse had been broken!" After he died, similarly, our family felt the subtle eyes of scrutiny, and ultimately his death became the fault of our lack of true faith.

In the years since, I've drawn the most comfort from simply reading the New Testament. It was then I felt my eyes were most open to the message Jesus left us, the message Paul carried on, that emphasizes a lighter cross to bear, forgiveness, and charity towards others, especially those who lack matured faith.

Some of the stranger doctrines coming out of this sect of Christianity after I left have solidified even more my own conviction that I made the right decision. In particular the WOF emphasis on men being like God, and the prosperity doctrines that are proving to be more corrupt as so many of the teachers of this doctrine are exposed for their greed and excessive lifestyles.

Having said this, I live always with the knowledge that I cannot judge individuals, but it is my obligation to spurn teachings I simply cannot square with scripture in both doctrine and balance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Like this example... sometimes it is just mis communication.
We just do not know what is being said.
Razzie has done the correct thing. Instead of assuming offense, she has asked for clarification. :clap:
Wow dids, coming from you... I'm honored....:clap:

Upvote 0

jeolmstead

-That’s me in the corner, losing my religion
Apr 27, 2006
Memphis, TN USA
✟22,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m thankful for what God has shown me.

It is frustrating however to be misunderstood and marginalized.

I’m tired of cold dead religion that does nothing but feed the flesh of those who have traded one form of bondage for another.

At the same time I’m dismayed by those who will accept anything that comes down the pike (as long as it comes with a tingle)

I’m tired of watching people launch head first to their destruction and I can’t seem to help them.

I’m tired of pretence from those who use me. They “love” me only so they can control me or get something from me.

These are the things that beat me up.

I am tired to the bone.

So, if I back down, it’s not so much that I have changed what I believe; it’s that I seem to fail to communicate it. I seem to do nothing but muddy the water for those around me

God has revealed Himself to me this year in a very special way. I have spent some time sitting in His lap. It’s been very good and when I try to share it looses something in the translation.

Right now, I’m homesick and I feel like I am beating my head against the wall in a strange land.

John O.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟566,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree sister. It is so very frustrating sometimes. I think most of the people here are pretty understanding. Some are not. I too tire of fighting. I have left several times only to return with a renewed desire to "do better this time."

I agree..That is kinda why I hardly post on CF anymore. There is no reason to keep going around circles on the same subjects. I don't like to fight over and over, though I will debate here and there. At heart though, it really does not matter to be anymore. It is God's business and I beginning to see how we all are on different pages and levels and stages in life and with God....

I totally understand what you mean. Things changed for me over a long-period of time, it did not happen over-night..Actually, some things did happen over night.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟566,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been here long enough to know you and see that change. I remember seeing your icon change and being curious. I was actually happy for you because you had found a fellowship that spoke to you. I admit I still do not know a lot about what it means... but I am happy for you!
Dids
I spent approx 50 years in the church and have learned much. However, the biggest change came when as cyberlizard did, I began to dig into the historical, social, economic and political contexts of the scriptures. I found that a great deal of what I had been taught regarding the context of some scripture did not really come via God the Father, Jesus or the apostles but through mans attempt at controlling the common people and somehow those teachings have been passed down to where today it is received as truth when it is not.

There is a lot of my "church" upbringing that I have not cast to the wayside. But then, there is some that I have. I'm sorry to say that most of the bashing came immediately when those here saw the icon change.

At the time I did the icon change, I had not really changed but was just upset with those within my group and just did the icon change as a protest. However, when they came against me without even asking any questions???? Some totally stopped talking to me even when I tried to explain. :( It made me wonder what was so bad about Messianic that it caused that type of reaction so I began to study it more. :) LOL Then I really did make the change. I'm glad I did too.

Upvote 0

ANM29

Nov 11, 2003
✟10,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
mostly I would have to agree with this, though I do think there is some serious persecution going on in this country....what I saw coming to my mind when I read the question was the people I know who "beat people over the head" with their bibles of theologies, then proclaim loudly they are being persecuted because they are told to stop, whether at work, church or play, almost as if it is a badge of "righteousness" to offend people....that seems to me to be more a personal attack then persecution for ones faith....

Yeah, I see what you are saying...totally...

There are more so attacks on the doctrine in many cases, at least on this site then that can turn personal and perhaps feels like persecution to the person.
..and in some cases, maybe it is. But, it is nothing to lose any sleep over or stay upset about. Forgive and move on and grow from it is all that can be done..or stay upset and bitter...it is not worth it, if we don't agree..we just don't agree...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ANM29

Nov 11, 2003
✟10,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree sister. It is so very frustrating sometimes. I think most of the people here are pretty understanding. Some are not. I too tire of fighting. I have left several times only to return with a renewed desire to "do better this time."

Yep, and we do do better..but still fall short here and there..we are not perfect. But, we should be getting better over time.

Upvote 0
E

enoch son

Be of good cheer! I know men who have gone from 30,000 on sunday to 300 because God show them His love. The hardest thing for men to understand is LOVE.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟566,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You know on the way home today that same thought came to me John.
I am tired. Just worn out in so many ways.
I know the lord has a refreshing for us bro!

Lord Jesus, send a refreshing to my brother! Renew his spirit with a fresh wind! Send a cool and refreshing rain his way and let him breath it in deep and alive!

I’m thankful for what God has shown me.

It is frustrating however to be misunderstood and marginalized.

I’m tired of cold dead religion that does nothing but feed the flesh of those who have traded one form of bondage for another.

At the same time I’m dismayed by those who will accept anything that comes down the pike (as long as it comes with a tingle)

I’m tired of watching people launch head first to their destruction and I can’t seem to help them.

I’m tired of pretence from those who use me. They “love” me only so they can control me or get something from me.

These are the things that beat me up.

I am tired to the bone.

So, if I back down, it’s not so much that I have changed what I believe; it’s that I seem to fail to communicate it. I seem to do nothing but muddy the water for those around me

God has revealed Himself to me this year in a very special way. I have spent some time sitting in His lap. It’s been very good and when I try to share it looses something in the translation.

Right now, I’m homesick and I feel like I am beating my head against the wall in a strange land.

John O.

Upvote 0

ANM29

Nov 11, 2003
✟10,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Be of good cheer! I know men who have gone from 30,000 on sunday to 300 because God show them His love. The hardest thing for men to understand is LOVE.

Yep...It is the hardest thing....I see your point..

Upvote 0

Deba

The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want (period)
Jul 8, 2007
An American living in Laos
✟13,167.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
You didn't give me an appropriate choice.

No.
I know what I know, don't really care what you know or think that is different to mine.
And if I don't know, I default to the teachings of the church that God put me.

BTW, I've been Southern Baptist, Lutheran and Pentecostal and I didn't notice a whole lot of difference in them of what was inportant to me. They all held with the doctrine of the priesthood of the believer, sonot much else is important in my book.

I think all these divisions are just insecure people needing to prove they are better than someone else. Same thing that happens with high school bullying. Pretty much the same results too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have many stories I could share, but only two I will...both have a point...

The first is about a young pastor here in the US...he had a wife and 3 young boys...he was hired to pastor a small church and took the job and calling very seriously...The first church he pastored, his first official sermon there, was on loving your neighbor/enemy with the power of the Holy spirit within...the congregation became so outraged that they threatened him, when he did not bow to their pressure, they attacked his wife. Still he held first, so they attacked his children...a pattern that continued through several churches whenever God led him to a message that cut to the heart of the peoples distance from God...at one such church, the deacon children physically assaulted the children and one of his children was on the verge of needing emergency medical care from the assault....

The point is that when our belief is directly from scripture, not manufactured, or words from what we assume to be the spirit of God, but scripture, and further confirmed by that spirit within, they are basics of our faith and the persecution should be endured as James says, with a joy in our heart.

Another time, not necessarily persecution but with a message to us on the topic... I was sewing, my sister came in and laid on my back, I asked her to move she refused, I told her to move, she refused, so I grabbed her arms and lifted her off me...she went crying to my father about me scratching her and my father went bolistic and beat me with a belt...thing is, the belt never hit me, I neither felt it's sting nor had marks..

Point is, when we are persecuted for our faith, it is Jesus who takes our "punishment" it is not ours, the sting of the persecution is only ours when it is who we are or what we did that is being attacked, when it is God who is being attacked, the sting of the persecution is also His....

Just some thoughts for what their worth....

Upvote 0

ANM29

Nov 11, 2003
✟10,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I feel like I am in a strange land myself, even more so lately. It is like God is allowing me to really feel and realize that I am not of this world, only in it..and this is not home. Can't explain the feeling..But, I am so disconnected from this world..and the systems of this world--man I can't even explain it.

All I want is more of God, he is the only thing that satisfies. He gives us pieces of earthly things that we desire, and they only fulfill temporary..but he reminds us through those things that the only fulfilment is in him, so we don't make IDOLS of them...I am feeling stranger and stranger these days in this world..

( Did I just blog?..I think I did.....ok, I'm done....;))

Upvote 0
E

enoch son

Yep...It is the hardest thing....I see your point..
I'm going to a meeting in dallas on father's day where a bunch of use from all over the country will sit and talk about it and get our innerman recharged because of the lack of love we take from people who say they love in the past year. JESUS IS FRIST AND LAST IN ALL THINGS! Love ken.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟566,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I feel like I am in a strange land myself, even more so lately. It is like God is allowing me to really feel and realize that I am not of this world, only in it..and this is not home....

That does hit home with me. It is a recurrent theme in my life.
Many years ago I was feeling in the dumps about being such a stranger to the world (even my church) and the Lord told me:
"Your strangeness to the world drives me closer to me..."

I have clung to that through many such feelings of dejection.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.