Not open for further replies.

IvoryRain

Irregular Member
Oct 1, 2003
God Bless the USA
✟1,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I was listening to a radio show yeaterday before work and didnt get to hear a lot, but apparantly somewhere here in the US churches are putting on "Hell Houses" for people to go through - these arent the usual haunted houses, but ones that show ways people go to hell.

It was said booths were set up showing a lady dying from a botched abortion, a lady that was a victim of domestic abuse shooting herself in the head, a small recreation of the Colonbine shooting, a man dying of AIDS etc.

Has anyone been through one of these?

A lot of callers didn't like them, as they believed the scare tactic may either turn people off - or draw them into the religion for a short while but then they'd fade away after the scare wore off.

Another thing several mentioned was, of course, not all sins were shown - and that all sins are equal in Gods eye. Is that possible? I know sin is sin, but is a cold blooded murder the same as... say a starving child stealing food from a store? Stealing is stealing (and wrong) but is it comparable to murder? Wouldn't believing that way give people more "freedom" to do rampant acts? I mean if one is bad - but they are all the same...you are just as bad if you do something "small" as if you do a "large" crime.

Then this brings me to another thing - Gods acceptance if one asks for forgiveness. I know people say if you truely want forgiveness it can be yours, but does God have a cutoff? I mean - take Ted Bundy or someone that is like he was. Does God forgive someone like that even after everything he has done? I'm not too sure how Heaven works, but I cant imagine a murderer with God along with the victims of that murderer.

I guess that branched off into two topics. Sorry!

urbanfaerie

Veteran
Apr 17, 2003
gargamel's castle
Visit site
✟1,392.00
Faith
Non-Denom
from what i understand, all sin is equal. even murders God died fo our sins, sin is inevitable, it'll happen. BUt its also fogivable if you sek it, and yes tis also applies to someone who murders someone else. i can't imagine worshipping a God who would cast out people for things they done in thir past..God loves all. the only sin, God condemns is when people turn others against God? or something like that.. i forgot the word thats used.. (hoping sone smart person wil come along and correct me..)

that sounds like a interesting haunted house, compared to the usual lame ones i go to..

Upvote 0

drdeancrosby

Oct 18, 2003
HAWAII
✟210.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Actually the bible does distinguish between sins and in fact publishes a list of sins that is so serious,they condemn people to hell.(1 Corinthians 6:9-10)
The issue of forgiveness has an interesting political and psychological aspect to it.Jesus forgave everyone who asked Him to which is why capitol punishment is so anti-Christian.Some horrendous criminals such as Tex, a killer in the Manson family,do become Christians after many years in prison.But the big problem with repeat offenders is that in time they rationalize their behavior to maintain their ego strength (live with themselves)This causes them to stop repenting and asking for forgiveness and usually, to avoid embarassment,praying altogether.There goes the Holy Spirit,God's forgiveness and Jesus'salvation.

Upvote 0

onajourney87

Contributor
Oct 28, 2003
✟13,963.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
drdeancrosby said:
Actually the bible does distinguish between sins and in fact publishes a list of sins that is so serious,they condemn people to hell.(1 Corinthians 6:9-10)

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

Okay, I may be wrong about this, but from reading that I've done, most Bible scholars believe that the list is just examples of what "the unrighteous" are and not a complete list either. And most agree that in the case of this verse, "the unrighteous" mentioned are also not Christians.

Anyways....

A lot of callers didn't like them, as they believed the scare tactic may either turn people off - or draw them into the religion for a short while but then they'd fade away after the scare wore off.

I agree with the last part. I think that many people who become Christians outa fear tend to become Christians for "fire insurance" and once they have it, that is the extent of Christianity for them.

osm

Upvote 0

wonder111

Love is the message!
Jul 24, 2003
Visit site
✟9,948.00
Faith
Christian
osmaker said:
I think that many people who become Christians outa fear tend to become Christians for "fire insurance" and once they have it, that is the extent of Christianity for them.

very true! if "perfect love casts out all fear" than I don't know how putting fear into people will help them know God (love)

Upvote 0

Jenndiggy

Jun 24, 2003
West Virginia
Visit site
✟7,915.00
Faith
Christian
I agree on the fear thing.

Besides my opinion that its distasteful (which is neither here nor there) the fear doesn't really work.

I remember when I was in high school we heard so much about 'don't have sex because you might get AIDS". (Our youth leader was so paranoid about it she wouldn't eat anywhere a gay person worked and told us to do the same.) Needless to say, we heard so many scare tactics about AIDS to keep us from having sex.

What was the most memorable "don't have sex" lesson? IMO, it was the girl who's parents kicked her out because she got pregnant at 15. Her foster parents went to our church, and she said one Sunday at youth "If you want to have sex before you're married, think of me". THAT made an impression.

But looking back on things, I wonder why instead of being told if we have sex we might get AIDS, why not talk about the reasons not to -- like God loves us so much He wants the best for us.

The church I grew up in (until I was 9) I remember all these "Get saved or you're going to hell" stuff. I don't remember hearing "Jesus loves you so much He died for you. Why don't you love Him and ask Him to be your Saviour" Just "Turn or burn" kind of stuff. Really scary to a five year old (and we were never in adult services, it was taught to us on our level!) At nine years old I hated church so much -- I didn't like the lessons, felt something was off theologially (it was) and our Sunday School teacher yelled a lot. I was always afraid I'd get yelled at. But at 9 years old I totally refused to go back to that church. Talking recently with my mother she said she had no idea the kind of stuff taught us. (Like Russians were going to come and burn all the Bibles and kill all Christians so we needed to memorize the Bible. I even remember being taught all Bibles should be red in color.)

In fact, when I got saved at age 18, it was hoping God would love me more -- out of fear of punishment. I never felt any joy or peace in my life until last month.

I really dislike anything done to pursude people to become Christians out of fear. I suppose it works for some, but sometimes it goes too far.

(I remember being taught as a child if we were saved and asked for forgiveness again, we would go to hell. I can remember being afraid thinking "Am I a Christian because if I ask to become one and I already am, will I go to hell?)

I'm no longer afraid. Jesus LOVES me, and isn't out to punish me if I ask His forgivness for something. God is good. :)

Upvote 0

cyberwing

Blessed beyond the curse!
Aug 26, 2003
Heart of Dixie
Visit site
✟37,476.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello IvoryRain! {{{HUG}}}
Yes, God can forgive even someone like Ted Bundy IF he has truly repented. So can his victims who are in heaven, they would be thrilled if their murderer came to know Jesus! (provided they are in heaven themselves....) No one who loves Jesus wants ANY one of His children excluded from the Kingdom for mistakes (sins) they have made except rejecting Jesus. Even those, it is a heartache to Him to lose them. When we love Jesus we love whom HE loves, which is His whole creation! We learn to love the person but hate the sin.... We wrestle not with flesh and blood but with powers and principalities. Hell was not made for man, it was made for rebellious angels. His forgiveness has no bounds except to grieve The Holy Spirit, this is the unforgiveable sin.
I really don't like the idea of what you described personally because it makes one sin 'really bad' and doesn't talk about the ones most of us are guilty of ourselves!! So personally I wouldn't go in for the 'haunted house things' but it might help someone see so I shall not condemn it, I just would not personally want anything to do with it.
Good to see you posting!!! Drop me a PM sometime girl! {{{HUG}}}
~Cyberwing

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.