Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
=\ What happened to free speech or are only liberals entitled to speak anymore?
I guess they are only tolerant of those who they THINK are tolerant but that is a big double standard here. it's really, really weird...the "pioneers" of "freedom and equality" are trying to quell one group's freedom. If someone is trying to stop the Taliban from practicing their ideologies, maybe some people would be safer, but liberals don't care about groups like that. They act like Christians are the number one bad guys.

Upvote 0

CruciFixed

Nov 17, 2008
Akron, Ohio
✟6,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hey some liberals claim they are Christians. The other night I was in a liberal debate...I've lost interest...about "Do unto others as you'd have done to you." Why don't they take their own advice? Let us talk since you wanna talk. Maybe they like the sounds of their own voices.

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I guess they are only tolerant of those who they THINK are tolerant but that is a big double standard here. it's really, really weird...the "pioneers" of "freedom and equality" are trying to quell one group's freedom. If someone is trying to stop the Taliban from practicing their ideologies, maybe some people would be safer, but liberals don't care about groups like that. They act like Christians are the number one bad guys.

The liberals should care what the Taliban thinks about homosexuals. I believe the punishment for such behavior in the Quran is death, not just saying homosexual sex is a sin, the way Christians do. If liberals actually had to deal with Muslims on this issue, they'd get a real wake-up call. Christians are the least of their problems when it comes to opponents of homosexual activity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Yes...this legislation has been offered up and turned down several times in the past...and it keeps rearing it's ugly head with new tweaks and twists...

Here's another tidbit I came across a couple days ago:

Jim Brown - OneNewsNow - 4/24/2009 7:05:00 AM

A Democratic congresswoman's candid remarks in the House Judiciary Committee yesterday bolster the fears of Americans who are concerned they one day may be convicted of a "hate crime" for merely publicly expressing their opposition to homosexuality.

The Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act was reported out of the Judiciary Committee yesterday in the House (see earlier story). The bill, which is expected to face a vote in the full House on Wednesday, would add gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, and disability to the list of protected categories under federal hate crimes law.

Proponents of the hate crimes bill claim that Christians and others who speak out publicly against homosexuality are not threatened with the same type of prosecution that criminals would face for committing acts of violence against homosexuals and transgender people.

In response, Judiciary Committee chairman John Conyers (D-Michigan), a co-sponsor of the measure, stated: "The bill only applies to bias-motivated violent crimes and does not impinge public speech or writing in any way."

However, during the Judiciary Committee markup yesterday, Congresswoman Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-Texas) reinforced the notion that people could be prosecuted for having a particular belief. "We also need to protect those potential victims who may be the recipients of hateful words or hateful acts, or even violent acts," said the Democratic lawmaker.

Congressman Louie Gohmert (R-Texas), a former judge, offered several amendments that would have provided religious-freedom protections from hate crimes prosecution, but they were all rejected by Democrats on the Judiciary Committee.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What gets me is now we can be accused of a "hate crime" if we say "I disagree with homosexuality", yet the KKK is protected by the police whenever they hold rallies that target Jews, Roman Catholics, non-WASPs, liberals and homosexuals.

Sad and selective, ain't it?

Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Hate crime legislation only punishes ideology, which is un-American to the core. I guess Mr. Conyers only wants to protect some ideologies (such as those who want to burn flags in protest) but not others.

Right...and I do kinda wonder...if this passes...is there reason to be concerned that certain militant groups that fall under the same umbrella of the “protected” groups....might somehow feel more even empowered to be more disruptive and militant than they already are?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Right...and I do kinda wonder...if this passes...is there reason to be concerned that certain militant groups that fall under the same umbrella of the “protected” groups....might somehow feel more even empowered to be more disruptive and militant than they already are?
As long as they have their friends in Washington, I don't see why not. And no matter how Washington changes, it's always going to be like this. The beneficiaries may change, depending on circumstances. This is not a reason to hope, it is just a further decline of America. This only serves to marginalize and divide people, while undermining First Amendment rights.

Reactions: Cris413
Upvote 0