• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Has anyone diagnosed with with schizophrenia/psychosis felt that medication has made them worse off

A.chilles

Nov 22, 2020
New York City
✟8,603.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
I get forced injection with Paliperidone every month (by forced, I mean if I don't turn up to take it they come and take me away) and I don't know about you guys with schizo/psychosis but I have lost most of my motivation do anything in life, I feel dead inside and I can't think properly. I read somewhere that these are the symptoms of someone who doesn't have schizo and is taking antipsychotic medication. I also other people answers on reddit about dealing with the specific medication I am taking and many seem to agree with me about how it makes you feel dead inside and numb to life where you feel miserable just doing day to day tasks.

Just curious as to how your guys experience is with antipsychotics and do you think you benefited from it or not?

Add: I think I just have an overactive imagination and combine that with spending many hours alone by myself daily it built up to me hearing voices, which I still hear in a way but it is just my imagination sounding out environmental sounds...

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟887,266.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I get forced injection with Paliperidone every month (by forced, I mean if I don't turn up to take it they come and take me away) and I don't know about you guys with schizo/psychosis but I have lost most of my motivation do anything in life, I feel dead inside and I can't think properly. I read somewhere that these are the symptoms of someone who doesn't have schizo and is taking antipsychotic medication. I also other people answers on reddit about dealing with the specific medication I am taking and many seem to agree with me about how it makes you feel dead inside and numb to life where you feel miserable just doing day to day tasks.

Just curious as to how your guys experience is with antipsychotics and do you think you benefited from it or not?

Add: I think I just have an overactive imagination and combine that with spending many hours alone by myself daily it built up to me hearing voices, which I still hear in a way but it is just my imagination sounding out environmental sounds...

Hi,

I got my second psychosis in 2007. I have been on antipsychotics since. I know it's necessary for me to be on meds to keep the psychosis away. I have tried six different antipsychotics but never Paliperidone. The last years I have been on Perphenazine.

I don't recognize myself in your description, being numb or unmotivated (other than the months after a psychosis). My feelings and motivation are pretty normal, but I'm stress sensitive. I think the illness itself can mess with you, so it's not necessarely the medication. I guess it also depends on dosage.

I don't know why you have to be forced to take your meds, you seem to need them hearing voices and stuff. There must be a good reason you were put on them. There is always the possibility to try other antipsychotics if Paliperidone isn't working for you. It also takes time to find the right dosage.

Good luck and God bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟419,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You just got to take the good with the bad. You are not psychotic and you can fight against the lazy feeling and try to enrich your life. Don’t let the i don’t feel like it stop you from living your life. It will happen in time. Try things for a while and if you still feel stupid drunk then maybe your pdoc will let you take less or change it. They are on your side but it takes time.

Upvote 0

Job405

Jesus Christ Matters
Site Supporter
May 17, 2020
Uusimaa
✟143,890.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Olanzapine 10mg takes care of my hallucinations and lexapro 15mg makes me calm when I have intrusive thoughts. But nothing has gotten rid of the intrusive thoughts, or affected them in any significant way, so far. I don't hear voices but it's like another entity has invaded my thoughts and it's constantly putting blasphemous and other evil thoughts into my mind. It's goal it seems to be to separate me from God by making me think that I have blasphemed the Holy Spirit, that I hate God or that I have rejected Christ, none of which is true.

Upvote 0

Godsangel89

Dec 12, 2020
new castle
✟10,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Its ruining my physical health more im almost 300 pounds i usually weight 140 or less. The psychtrist dont care because they are making money. A guy i new who suffer from it died of a heart attack because he gained to much weight.

Upvote 0

Job405

Jesus Christ Matters
Site Supporter
May 17, 2020
Uusimaa
✟143,890.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Its ruining my physical health more im almost 300 pounds i usually weight 140 or less. The psychtrist dont care because they are making money. A guy i new who suffer from it died of a heart attack because he gained to much weight.
Yeah my weight has increased as well. I am more hungry and eat more than usual. Normally I weigh about 65kg but now I am close to 80kg if not over it already.

Upvote 0

Faith712

Jan 3, 2012
✟29,549.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single

I used to take invega too but I managed to convince them to get me off of it. I hated invega.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟887,266.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Yeah my weight has increased as well. I am more hungry and eat more than usual. Normally I weigh about 65kg but now I am close to 80kg if not over it already.

Older meds I think is better for the weight. :scratch: On the one I take, Perphenazine, I'm basically on the same weight as before medication. I gained about 15-20 pounds on the A-typicals.

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums