Harvard Professor Cites Evolution as Theory of ORIGINS? Oh YEAH!!

Grengor

GrenAce
May 10, 2005
Oakley, California
✟18,998.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Republican
SackLunch said:
Greece fell. Rome fell. Babylon fell. Why then do you think our modern culture, and in particular the evolutionary theory, is the end-all of human achievement and knowledge? Do you think America, or our Western culture in general, is incapable of falling too?
Did he ever say that? I don't think ANYONE has ever said that our culture will last forever. As to evolution, it's changed many times since it's debute, there's no reason why it won't continue to do so. "Knives against knives" or something.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
SackLunch said:
We do have convenient modern advances.

Let's not forget giant leaps in medicine, education, sanitation, and various other "quality of life" improvements which you've be hard-pressed to find in ancient times.

The thing is, EVERY great society believed it was the pinnacle of human achievement and knowledge. EVERY great society believed its answers were the most reasonable and accurate.

And EVERY great society was right -- until an even greater society came along, took their ideas and improved on them.

Greece fell. Rome fell. Babylon fell. Why then do you think our modern culture, and in particular the evolutionary theory, is the end-all of human achievement and knowledge?

Did I say that? Where?

We're the king of the mountain... but only for the moment. But time marches on, and new ideas replace old ones.

Do you think America, or our Western culture in general, is incapable of falling too?

Not only is it capable of falling, but in the hands of religious fundamentalism, history shows it's pretty much inevitable.

The Bible says man is like grass. His time here on earth is fleeting. And 1 Corinthians 1 tells us that man's knowledge is nothing compared to the knowledge and wisdom of God.

And Poe 3:16 says this has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Stay focused!

Is your faith in man really that strong?

Is yours really that weak?

Upvote 0

Carico

Oct 12, 2003
Visit site
✟22,071.00
Faith
Christian
SackLunch said:
This morning I posted a thread that clearly showed how people today are confusing ambiogenesis with evolution. In that thread, I said that university professors and teachers are teaching us that ambiogenesis and evolution are one in the same. But oh nooooooo, nobody believed me.

Could it be? Could evolution be a theory of origins? One Harvard Professor seems to think so.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050815/D8C095AG0.html
<snip>
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) - Harvard University is joining the long-running debate over the theory of evolution by launching a research project to study how life began. The team of researchers will receive $1 million in funding annually from Harvard over the next few years. The project begins with an admission that some mysteries about life's origins cannot be explained. The "Origins of Life in the Universe Initiative" is still in its early stages...
<snip>

So which is it, people? Is evolution a theory of origins or not? Should I believe YOU or should I believe this Harvard professor of chemistry and chemical biology?? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
:scratch: :confused: :scratch:

Maybe I'll just open my Bible to the Book of Genesis. Indeed it is far more trustworthy, stable, and free from the confusion that seems to dominate the theory of evolution, which apparently DOES include origins.

You got that right! But then again, the truth is always simple and not convoluted like lies are. This is the problem from trying to find the truth from fallible human beings. All one gets is fallibility. Thinking that evolution depends on a vote between professors is no different than needing a vote to see if the world is round! :eek: But some people do.

Upvote 0

random_guy

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
✟3,457.00
Faith
Christian
I posted this in the other thread, I'll post it here.

What I want to know is who wrote that article. It sounds like it was written by a science illiterate journalist. They mix up abiogensis with evolution. They make it sound like Harvard University has been neutral to this whole debate and just now thought that evolution might be true. I mean, they have an entire department dedicated to the research of evolution already.

Whoever wrote this is a moron. Again, remember journalistic confusing the origins with evolution != scientific.

Upvote 0

Heather S.

Jun 25, 2005
✟266.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
SackLunch -

I remember you also saying that all universities and schools teach that evolution and abiogenesis are one and the same. Do you care to back this up? I only ask because I just went through my substantial (if I do say so myself) collection of high school biology text books, and ALL of them separate evolution and abiogenesis into two different chapters. I also skimmed through several graduate and undergraduate texts, and all of those separate the two theories as well.

It seems to me that you have heard quite often that evolutoin and abiogenesis are the same theory, and so you have taken it upon yourself to claim that everyone else is being taught the same thing. As usual, you (a definite minority) are speaking for the majority.

Any comment?

Upvote 0

SackLunch

Jul 22, 2005
BBQ Heaven: Texas, USA
✟1,884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Roman Soldier said:
My ignore list is SOOOOOOOOO full because of all of these Creationist wackos. I'm about to leave this site, coming back only to collect my knight salary and donate it to strangers.
Newsflash: This is a CHRISTIAN board, and Christians believe in Creationism. Big shocker! What did you expect?

Upvote 0

Big Rob

Ninjaneer
Mar 28, 2005
Ohio
✟1,650.00
Faith
Atheist
Heather S. said:
SackLunch -

I remember you also saying that all universities and schools teach that evolution and abiogenesis are one and the same. Do you care to back this up? I only ask because I just went through my substantial (if I do say so myself) collection of high school biology text books, and ALL of them separate evolution and abiogenesis into two different chapters. I also skimmed through several graduate and undergraduate texts, and all of those separate the two theories as well.

It seems to me that you have heard quite often that evolutoin and abiogenesis are the same theory, and so you have taken it upon yourself to claim that everyone else is being taught the same thing. As usual, you (a definite minority) are speaking for the majority.

Any comment?

I'm curious. Why do you collect high school bio texts?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SackLunch

Jul 22, 2005
BBQ Heaven: Texas, USA
✟1,884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heather S. said:
That's funny, I posted an article describing a Harvard University study that seems to say that evolution and abiogenesis (origins) are one in the same. Obviously SOMEONE believes this. Obviously SOMEONE is being taught this. Obviously ALOT of people are being taught this!

Sure sure, SackLunch is a minority... ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nightson

Take two snuggles and call me in the morning
Jul 11, 2005
California
✟5,839.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
SackLunch said:
Obviously SOMEONE believes this. Obviously SOMEONE is being taught this. Obviously ALOT of people are being taught this!

Obviously SOMEONE is a drug addict. Obviously SOMEONE is being taught to be a drug addict. Obviously ALOT of people are drug addicts!

Obviously SOMEONE doesn't believe in Christianity. Obviously SOMEONE is being taught not to believe in christianity. Obviously ALOT of people are being taught not to believe in christianity!

:sigh:

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
SackLunch said:
That's funny, I posted an article describing a Harvard University study that seems to say that evolution and abiogenesis (origins) are one in the same. Obviously SOMEONE believes this. Obviously SOMEONE is being taught this. Obviously ALOT of people are being taught this!

At the very most, you've proven that the writer of the article believes this.

The rest is not "obvious" at all.

Upvote 0

corvus_corax

Naclist Hierophant and Prophet
Jan 19, 2005
Oregon
✟14,911.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
SackLunch said:
That's funny, I posted an article describing a Harvard University study that seems to say that evolution and abiogenesis (origins) are one in the same.
READ THE FOLLOWING SENTENCE CAREFULLY-
The reporter said that, not the professor.

How many times do we need to point out this blatantly obvious fact to you?

SackLunch said:
Obviously SOMEONE believes this.
Sure, someone does. And this someone has a false belief
SackLunch said:
Obviously SOMEONE is being taught this.
Someone was taught incorrectly then
SackLunch said:
Obviously ALOT of people are being taught this!
If so, then a lot of "someones" are being taught incorrectly.

It's quite simple Sacky....Even if 4 BILLION people believe that abiogenesis and evolutionary theory are one and the same, then all we have are 4 billion incorrect people.
So what?

A lot of people used to believe that the earth was the center of the solar system. They were wrong, we moved on. What you are presenting is a twisted, messed up form of Argumentum ad Populum.

Stop it. Bad Sacky! :p

SackLunch said:
Sure sure, SackLunch is a minority... ;)
As a Creationist...on a global scale...yes you are a minority.

Upvote 0