Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I'm rereading the series again. I'm on the 3rd book. This time around I decided to rate the books with my friend as we read them, so we can rank them. It's interesting how we have different favorite books.

Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
✟7,641.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
Harry potter is a fantastic series. It should be though of as blurring the lines between good and evil, nor should people think it is about witchcraft. It is a series about friendship, family, and conquering your fears. That is part of the reason that the series is so loved.

Upvote 0

Todd Grace

The best carpentry and specialty building around
Nov 21, 2010
The Beach
✟7,823.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Harry potter is a fantastic series. It should be though of as blurring the lines between good and evil, nor should people think it is about witchcraft. It is a series about friendship, family, and conquering your fears. That is part of the reason that the series is so loved.

If there is nothing to worry about, would you take Jesus to see it with you if you could? Yes or No? If the answer is No, then there is witchcraft we should be concerned about. If the answer is Yes, what do you think would be His review?
Soooo which is it?

Upvote 0
M

Michael Snow

Very interesting review here by:

Dr. Jerram Barrs, Professor of Christian Studies and Contemporary Culture at Covenant Theological Seminary, St Louis, Missouri. He is a fan of the Harry Potter series.

Jerram Barrs on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - YouTube

I hope people will take time to listen to this. I thnk you will be impressed.

I have not seen the movie, but, yes, I would take Jesus with me.

I do think we need to make it clear to children that witchcraft is not to be imitated. But that does not rule out its use in story. The Bible tells us about the witch of Endor. It is condemned but not hidden.

Upvote 0

chaoticfirefly

reform jew
May 20, 2011
Visit site
✟109,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
If there is nothing to worry about, would you take Jesus to see it with you if you could? Yes or No? If the answer is No, then there is witchcraft we should be concerned about. If the answer is Yes, what do you think would be His review?
Soooo which is it?

I would. I don't know what His review would be, maybe He would like the characters, the plot and conflict of it all.

Upvote 0

Ribosome

Jun 7, 2010
US
✟15,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
i havent read teh books, however, as a kid i saw a couple movies. from what i remember, no where is God and Jesus mentioned or given praise and glory anywhere in the story or the message or the themes. the story is about kids with supernatural powers, not about kids being changed by the power of the gospel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟322,759.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
i havent read teh books, however, as a kid i saw a couple movies. from what i remember, no where is God and Jesus mentioned or given praise and glory anywhere in the story or the message or the themes. the story is about kids with supernatural powers, not about kids being changed by the power of the gospel.

Well if God and Jesus being mentioned and praised then over 90% of all films and literature fails your test.

Personally I find the heavy handed kind of mention of God that it seems you want boring and tedious.

Upvote 0

marycfindley

Christian Author
Dec 15, 2011
Traveling in a tractor trailer
Visit site
✟7,668.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Some people love Harry Potter for the personal sacrifice, the family emphasis, the friendship, and since it isn't meant to be a Christian series, make allowances for everything else. I enjoyed the Latin references, the mythical creatures, and many of the characters. Lack of Christian message aside, I still have a number of objections. It treats most adults disrespectfully. They are either very unconventional and eccentric, or they are unable to act, or they are evil. Kids are on their own to learn and grow. Temper tantrums, secret-keeping and lies are rewarded. Determinism rules. Nobody can really control events, or mystical powers give you and edge without discipline, study or preparation. Those three things are part of the young wizards' training, to some extent, but emotion and passion trump wisdom and self-control. God is not in all their thoughts, philosophically or literally.

Upvote 0

AutumnSummers

Jan 1, 2012
✟7,665.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
We are big Harry Potter fans! I love the books & I love the movies as do our children. Although I was a bit sad with the last movie, how they glossed over Fred's death - that was a big deal!! They made more of a fuss over Snapes death than his, but otherwise the movie was pretty good. I keep thinking I need to go back & re-read the books, their fun :)

Upvote 0

moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Some people love Harry Potter for the personal sacrifice, the family emphasis, the friendship, and since it isn't meant to be a Christian series, make allowances for everything else. I enjoyed the Latin references, the mythical creatures, and many of the characters. Lack of Christian message aside, I still have a number of objections. It treats most adults disrespectfully. They are either very unconventional and eccentric, or they are unable to act, or they are evil. Kids are on their own to learn and grow. Temper tantrums, secret-keeping and lies are rewarded. Determinism rules. Nobody can really control events, or mystical powers give you and edge without discipline, study or preparation. Those three things are part of the young wizards' training, to some extent, but emotion and passion trump wisdom and self-control. God is not in all their thoughts, philosophically or literally.

I think Rowlings wrote it with strong children characters doing all the work because it was aimed at children. If it was a story about adult wizards winning over adult bad wizards then it wouldn't be young adult literature but adult literature. Having characters that are in the same age bracket with some of the same tendencies and characteristics make it easier for the target audience to connect to the book. Harry and his friends are not perfect kids with perfect self control and perfect discipline. But yet they still manage to get the job done through determination and sticking together.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NDNgirl4ever

LPN, Vegan Hippie Freak, and Tony Orlando and Dawn
Sep 12, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟8,598.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I was raised in a house where Harry Potter was forbidden. Now that I am an adult, I have read the entire series (and I'm re-reading Sorcerer's Stone) and have all the movies but Deathly Hallows part 2, which I ordered yesterday. I LOVE Harry Potter and I really don't understand how people who have never read/watched the series can say that it's evil.

Just because something isn't overtly Christian doesn't mean it's bad or evil. Also, I remember that one of the books (can't remember which one) mentioned a Christmas hymn being sung at the school.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AutumnSummers

Jan 1, 2012
✟7,665.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I was raised in a house where Harry Potter was forbidden. Now that I am an adult, I have read the entire series (and I'm re-reading Sorcerer's Stone) and have all the movies but Deathly Hallows part 2, which I ordered yesterday. I LOVE Harry Potter and I really don't understand how people who have never read/watched the series can say that it's evil.

Just because something isn't overtly Christian doesn't mean it's bad or evil. Also, I remember that one of the books (can't remember which one) mentioned a Christmas hymn being sung at the school.

Agreed! :thumbsup: I often wonder if those who see Harry Potter as evil, do they watch Disney cartoons?

Upvote 0