Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
He'd prayed the same thing for days now, and had determined that this would be the very last time he would ever pray this prayer. "God make me love you," Harold pleaded, head bowed, eyes squeezed shut and every fiber of his being quivering with intent. "I really mean it, God. I want you to make me love you. I know I don't love you like I should, so change me!" Lifting his head, Harold waited, eyes focused upward, straining to sense a shift within, a response to his prayer. Several long moments passed before a heavy sigh escaped Harold's lips and he slumped forward, elbows resting on his knees. Nothing. Silence. Like always.

Well, that's it, Harold thought. If God won't change me, I'm just going to stop caring about it. I'm done with asking and getting nothing.

"What're you doing?"

With a small yelp, Harold straightened in his chair, his head snapping around in the direction of the quiet, questioning voice. "Goodness! You gave me a start!" he said, rather loudly, "I didn't think anyone was in here."

"I'm cleaning the sanctuary," a frail, hunched, silver-haired figure replied, her gnarled, aged hands clutching a Dust Buster. She stood in the aisle, only three chairs away, looking at him with kind, watery eyes. "I can't do much these days," she said with a smile, waving the Dust Buster at Harold, "but I can still handle this! You'd think folks were eating lunch while the service was going on there're so many bits and crumbs on some of these chairs. Old Joe here comes in very handy, sucking up all the leavings." The ancient woman's eyes twinkled as she repeated her earlier question, "So, what're you doing?"

"Nothing," Harold responded, a little petulantly, like a naughty child caught in the act. Embarrassed, he stood to his feet, scanning the sanctuary for the nearest exit.

His elderly companion settled herself in the chair next to the one Harold had just vacated and said, "Didn't look like nothing to me. Sit, dearie, and fill me in. You looked fit to burst just now as you were praying...You were praying, weren't you? It looked like praying, anyway." She patted the seat of the chair Harold had been sitting in and grinned. "Plop yourself down and talk to me."

The blue eyes sparkling up at him and the warm smile radiating kindness and sympathy made Harold think of his mother, deceased for more than a decade, and he found himself sitting, a desperate desire to share his frustration rushing forward within him. "He's ignoring me," Harold declared, mouth twisted into a grimace.

"Who's that, dear?" the old woman queried, her gaze fixed steadily upon him. She had half-turned in her chair so she could face him more directly, her pale green cardigan twisted around her, its dark buttons in a diagonal line across her torso.

A scent of roses and lavender filled Harold's nostrils as he replied, "God. I think He's mad at me, or something. He won't answer my prayer."

“Has He got a reason to be mad at you?”

Harold wondered for a moment how careful in his answers he should be with the old gal but doubted she’d parse Greek with him and so he spoke what he felt rather than playing the seminarian. “He’s probably got lots of reasons. I’m not perfect. I feel like we’re far apart, God and me; like He’s turned away from me and is waiting for me to figure out why. I want something more with Him, something…real, not this long-distance relationship I’ve been in for years.”

Harold ran a hand through his hair and realized he was going to tell everything to the geriatric stranger next to him. “I don’t love God. Not really. I look like I do – I go to church, teach a Sunday School class, sing in the choir, read my Bible, pray – but right at my core who I really love is myself. Truth be told, God’s way down on my list of things I love.”

Harold looked sidelong at his companion, gauging her response. Her eyes had closed but a tiny smile still wrinkled the corners of her mouth. He wondered if she’d fallen asleep.

“I’m listening,” she murmured, as though reading his mind. Her eyes opened, fixing on him, and she nodded, “Go on.”

“Ah. Well, that’s it, basically. Outside of church on Sunday I’m a pretty big hypocrite. I have a temper, and when it blows, I swear and throw things around. I…look at things I shouldn’t. On my phone. It’s so easy and so tempting. I think my wife wants a divorce. My kids hate me. And I’ve been…” Harold couldn’t stop; he needed to get it all off his chest, to be totally honest, finally, with someone – even if it was a total stranger, “doing drugs. Cocaine, mostly, but other stuff, too. I’m addicted, actually.”

There. He’d said it. All of it. He felt strangely at peace, calm, lighter in himself. Was this God?

The elderly woman next to him chuckled softly, “What you’re feeling is relief, not God. Your conscience unburdened, nothing more.” She patted his arm and in an earnest tone said, “But it’s a start.”

Looking for any sign of revulsion in his confidante, Harold sat, silent, pondering what she’d said. Relief. Not God. Not the peace of God, even. Just relief. He had hoped his honesty would have done something, drawn God’s interest, closed the gap a bit between him and God. But Harold felt no more love for God now than he had before his admission of his sin.

He continued to watch his audience of one. The old gal would have made a great poker player! he thought. She gave no hint that his confession made her uneasy, or repulsed her. Her eyes were shut again and her smile was gone, but her face retained a serene character, relaxed and placid.

After a minute or so of silence, realizing he was going to get no further response from his listener, Harold spoke: “You must think I’m a pretty awful person, eh?”

“Yes, quite terrible. Wicked. Deceitful.” The old lady’s eyes opened, fixing on the large wooden, backlit cross fixed high on the wall behind the pulpit at the front of the sanctuary. “Very human.” Her gaze shifted from the cross to Harold, a sad smile on her lips. “Have you told Him?”

“Told who?”

“The One with Whom You Have To Do.”

Confused for a moment, Harold’s brows bent together, his forehead creasing in consternation. Then, his face cleared and he said, “God, you mean.” Harold rubbed the tops of his thighs, his hands sliding rapidly back-and-forth over them, and answered, “Not for a long while, actually. I kept confessing, again and again. It began to feel…fake. How could God keep forgiving me?”

“How could He not?”

“I don’t follow you,” Harold said, distracted by the realization that his companion had called him wicked and deceitful. She was right, but it stung to hear her say so. “Are you saying God has to forgive me?”

A chuckle rose from the little woman in the pale, green cardigan. “Not exactly, dearie.” Her blue eyes twinkled at him, “Do you deserve to be forgiven by God? Does God owe it to you to forgive your sin, do you think?”

“No. I suppose not.”

“Right.” Eyes wide now, her expression serious, his aged friend (for this was how Harold was thinking of her now) put a veiny, spotted hand on his arm and said, “So, why does He? Why does God forgive you?”

Harold was no stranger to this question, having asked it himself of the students in his Sunday School class. “Because of Christ. What he did on the cross, atoning for my sins.”

Nodding, the old woman leaned forward, her creased face getting close to Harold’s. “And what he did? It was perfect, yes?”

“Yes.”

“Complete?”

“Right.”

“Fully satisfied God forever?”

“Yes…”

“Can you get to the end of what Jesus did on the cross? Can you sin so much, your sin exceeds his sacrifice for it?”

“Well, no…”

The woman was watching him with great intensity, her hand squeezing his arm. “Where sin abounds, God’s grace abounds much more. Why have you stopped confessing your sin to Him, then? Your sin stops up the works, puts a barrier between you and God that remains ‘til you take it down.”

“By confession, you mean?”

“Exactly.”

“So, my prayers to God have been “stopped up” by my not confessing my sin to Him?”

“Right-o, dearie! Got it in one!” The old lady sat back in her chair, looking again to the cross at the front of the sanctuary. It stood out starkly in the shadowy theater lighting of the huge room, drawing the eye. She sighed. “As it piles up, sin blinds us, confuses us, hides the truth from us - the truth we once knew well - in its darkness.” Her silvery curls swayed and bobbed as she shook her head. “Better to confess it and remain in the light.” Noticing her skewed buttons, the elderly woman pulled on her cardigan, moving the buttons into a proper vertical line. “Well, I’d better get at it,” she said as she hefted her Dust Buster, “The chairs can’t clean themselves.”

Gingerly, the old lady shifted herself to the front edge of the chair seat, grabbed the top of the chair back in front of her with one hand and prepared to stand. “Wait,” Harold said. “If I confess, will God make me love Him like I asked? More than drugs? More than inappropriate content? More than myself?” He had stood as the woman had angled herself to the edge of her seat, his hands hovering on either side of her to offer support. “I don’t want to just keep confessing over and over. Even I know this isn’t what the Christian life is supposed to be like. If I don’t change, I’m going to end up a broke, addicted, divorcee.”

“So that was what you were praying about when I came along?” The old lady wobbled to standing, grimaced briefly, then fished about in the pocket of her cardigan for a moment, finally drawing out a scotch mint in a cellophane wrapper. She handed it to Harold with a broad smile on her face, “Here. Have a candy.”

Without thinking, Harold took the mint, unwrapped it and popped it into his mouth. “Thanks,” he murmured.

“Well, I’ve got up and I’m not going back down so I can just get up again in a minute,” the old woman declared, “Too much of a bother when you’re stiff as a board and weak as a kitten.” She looked up at Harold and said, “You want to love God?”

“Yes,” Harold replied.

“Why?”

“Aren’t we supposed to love God?”

“So, you want to love God ‘cause you’re supposed to?”

Harold didn’t much like how that sounded: dutiful, obligatory, not very…loving. “Well, when you put it like that…” he began.

“It’s not how I put, young man,” his ancient companion remarked, archly.

“Loving God is the best life to live, right?” Harold felt strangely like a child being taught a lesson, scolded, even, a bit, but by the nicest possible person. He sucked on the mint, thoughtfully.

The old lady sighed, her smile shrinking and her eyes growing hard. “What is it you want from God?” she pressed. “What’s loving Him going to get you?”

Harold answered immediately: “Peace, power, wisdom, joy – You know,” he waved his hand as though shooing a fly, “the Fruit of the Spirit and so on.”

“Ah,” the elderly woman said, her eyes sad, a sickly smile twisting her lips. “I had a dog, once.” She paused, looking down at “Ol Joe” in her hands.

This is an odd tangent to take, Harold thought. “I don’t –”

“It was a rotten dog,” the old woman continued, gesturing dangerously with the Dust Buster in punctuation of her words, “A lap dog. Fluffy. Cute. Little, black eyes. Could have fit in my purse.” She looked up at Harold and in a stern voice, went on, “But it was the most selfish dog I’ve ever encountered. Like a cat, really. If I wasn’t petting him, or feeding him, or taking him for a walk, well, I might as well have been dead for all the interest he took in me. All he wanted was what I could give him; he didn’t want me.”

“I see…” said Harold.

Her eyebrows climbed up her forehead, forming deep wrinkles in her skin. Face filled with bemusement, she said, “No, you don’t.” Then, she tapped him in the chest with the Dust Buster. “What’s my wretched dog got to do with you loving God?”

That was supposed to be my question! Harold thought. “Was it a chihuahua?” he asked, stalling for time, his thunder stolen.

The woman turned to examine the chair she’d been sitting on. “Looks like I’ll have to sit down again.”

Continued in following post.

Last edited:

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
“I’m like your dog, aren’t I?” Harold muttered, fuming inwardly at the comparison.

“Are you?” The old lady paused in her preparations to sit, turning to look Harold in the eye. “You sound like it, don’t you think?”

“Maybe. It’s all I’ve got right now. That’s my problem. I don’t love God like I ought to do. I know it.”

“Of course, you don’t. No one does. That’s why we need God so much. We find only in Him everything we need to know and walk with Him, to love Him.” She smiled, then, her eyes closing and her face lifting upward. “But it’s all about Him, you see, not His stuff! He is His stuff! The peace you want, the power you desire, the joy you’re looking for are God Himself.”

Harold gazed at the woman whose entire frame seemed suddenly to shine. Bright as she was, her words were difficult to hold onto, to understand, in the long-established darkness of his mind. “So, the love I want from God,” he began, hesitantly, “the love I need in order to love Him properly, is God Himself?”

Sympathy radiated from the face of the old woman. “That’s right,” she nodded, patting his arm, “Not a feeling, not a warm fuzzy, but a Person, God, the Holy Spirit, who will fill you with Himself, if you’ll let Him.”

“But I’ve been praying for weeks for God to give me His love and He’s done nothing!” Harold cried in frustration.

“Haven’t you just discovered why?” the wizened woman asked, peering at him with azure eyes, her expression expectant.

He wanted to be angry, as he’d been for a while now, to feed his sense of injustice, to blame God for his lack of love, but looking at the diminutive, fragile, bowed form of the woman before him, exuding such warmth and wisdom, Harold desired instead to be as she was: sage, and kind, and beautiful.

“I suppose..” Harold admitted. “I haven’t kept the way clear between God and me, have I?”

“If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me,” the old woman replied.

“And I’ve been asking for the wrong thing, too.”

“Yes. Do you want God? Or just His stuff?”

Harold swept a hand through his hair again, sighing heavily, turning from the woman to the lit cross at the front of the sanctuary. “So, what do I do?” he said, old frustration and new hope fighting within him.

Suddenly, he felt an arm encircle his waist and the old woman’s head rest against him. He glanced down in momentary surprise, able only to see the silvery crown of her head. He felt…soothed and loved, but by something greater than the woman next to him. She was a break in the cloudy sky of his life through whom the sunlight was streaming, warm and golden.

“Submit,” the old woman said, gazing at the cross on the wall. “Yield. Surrender. Die.”

“What?” Harold responded in a shocked tone, “What do you mean ‘die’?”

“Except a grain of wheat fall to the ground and die, it abides alone. But if it dies, it brings forth much fruit.” The old woman gave Harold a gentle squeeze with her encircling arm and then dropped heavily onto the chair she’d been sitting in. “There’s only room for one on the throne of your heart.”

A bony hand extended to Harold, open, bearing a second mint. “Would you like another?” the old woman asked. “A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down,” she said. Grinning widely as Harold took the mint, she remarked, “That’s not in the Bible, by the way.” She scratched her chin, frowning in thought. “It’s from that movie with the noisy nun. Always singing, she was. Made some kids’ clothes from drapes. Got chased by Nazis…Ah, I can’t remember the name!”

Harold had no idea what the old woman was talking about. Sucking on the mint, he watched her fumble with her memory. Things had taken a wrong turn, he felt. “About this dying business…” he said.

“What?” his aged companion replied, her puckered mouth relaxing and her tightly-closed eyes opening. “Oh! I’ve wandered off track, haven’t I?” she laughed. “Yes, well, you’ve got to die, you see.”

“You said that,” Harold reminded her, “but I’m not sure what you mean. You’re not speaking literally, of course.”

“For some, the death I’m talking about has had an extremely literal meaning.” The old woman’s expression was very sober, her eyes wide, mouth pressed into a thin line. For a long moment she stared at Harold, wordlessly, and then, her features relaxing, said, “But for you this seems unlikely.” She settled back in her chair then abruptly leaned forward, finger wagging, eyes wide again, “But you never know. You never know.”

Disturbed, Harold crunched up the mint, hoping she would offer further explanation. He waited, saying nothing, his teeth making uncouth sounds as they worked on the candy.

“God made you for Himself, to serve His purposes,” the woman finally continued, wincing slightly at the commotion in Harold’s mouth. “You are His vessel, to be used as He sees fit, a means of communicating Himself, as all Creation is meant to do. Like a telephone.”

“A telephone?” Harold echoed.

“That’s right. God wants to speak through you, as if you were a sort of living telephone. But you’ve got the line busy with your own talk.”

“What’s this got to do with dying?”

“Well, will you be God’s telephone? Or will you just jam up the line with yourself? If you’re going to be God’s ‘vessel of communication,’ you’ve got to deny yourself, submit yourself, give up yourself in surrender, to God.”

“That’s what you mean by ‘die’?”

“Yes, dearie. If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, take up his cross and follow me. That’s Jesus, by the way, not the singing nun.”

“Okay…” Harold said, unsure of the full scope of what the old woman was telling him. “Do I have to start living in a monastery, or something? Give up everything for God and just read my Bible all day?” He scrubbed his hair, brows furrowed in distaste. “I don’t want to do any of that.”

Chuckling, the old woman replied, “This is the terrible lie so many fall for. So many! My dear, when you submit to God, when you get off the throne of your heart and let God be seated upon it, He goes to work on what you want. His Spirit will change your desires so that you aren’t fighting tooth-and-nail against yourself, but come to want what God wants.”

“I see…,” Harold said. “God’ll make me want what He wants.” With a thump, he sat down beside the old woman and growled angrily, “It hasn’t worked so far.”

“You’re here, praying, pleading with God to change you,” the old woman observed. “Why? Why aren’t you out happily doing drugs, pouring the filth of inappropriate content into your mind and blowing your stack as it suits you to do? Here you sit, instead, frustrated, looking for a way to abandon such a life. Why?”

It had never occurred to Harold to ask such a question. Like an owl with dust in its eyes, he blinked several times then stared wide-eyed at his companion, contemplating her remark.

“The light dawns!” the old woman said, her eyes twinkling with mirth. “He’s been working on you and you haven’t even realized He is! Isn’t God marvelous? He doesn’t usually change His children in some grand display of spiritual fireworks,” the woman waved her arms about, her hands opening and closing in imitation of explosions, “but so subtly and profoundly they don’t recognize they’re being changed! Hah! Marvelous, I say!”

Skepticism clouding his features, Harold, said, “So, God has been answering my prayer, then? I thought you said my sin had stopped Him from answering…”

“Not entirely. Your sin hinders His work in you, but He is never overpowered by your sin. He is a loving Father and will use the ‘stick’ of discipline to move you toward Himself when you stray. Typically, by letting you taste the pain and death that always comes from sin.”

Grimacing, Harold muttered, “I’ve had plenty of the stick, I can tell you!”

“A proof of your adoption. A token of God’s love.”

“Doesn’t feel like it.”

The old woman chuckled. “I think it’s brilliant that God uses the very thing we desire to put us off desiring it. He lets us suck on the sweet outer shell of sin ‘til we get to the foul, bitter, poisonous center of it and want to spit it out.” The old woman gave him a significant look and continued, “Sound familiar?”

Harold grimaced. “Yes, quite.” Sidelong, he considered the woman beside him, wondering at the timing of their meeting. “So, what next? How do I change? How do I come to love God like He wants me to? Like I want to do?”

“Submit. Yield yourself. Present yourself a living sacrifice to God.” The old woman began fishing around in the pockets of her cardigan, finally drawing out a third cellophane-wrapped mint. “This one’s for me,” she said.

The mint clacked gently against the old lady’s dentures as she sucked contentedly on it. For a long moment, Harold observed the pleasure his companion took in the treat, enjoying her delight in it. “No poison in that candy, eh?” he remarked.

Eyebrows lifting, the woman smiled widely and tapped her teeth with a finger. “Why do you think I have these?” she said, with a clatter quickly shooting her dentures out of her mouth and then sucking them back in.

Surprised and disturbed, Harold frowned and replied, “You were saying? How, exactly, do I submit myself to God?”

“My grandchildren love it when I do that,” the old woman murmured defensively. She sighed, a faraway look in her eyes, and continued, “When they come over to visit, they know they have to abide by my rules. I always ask my grandkids, when they arrive, if they are going to follow them. They can’t come in unless they say, “Yes.” It’s utter chaos if they don’t. I can’t tell you how many of my knick-knacks they’ve destroyed, running about in my house like they’re in a bouncy castle.”

Used to the conversational strategy of the old woman now, Harold replied, “So, submitting to God is obeying Him? This is what submission to Him means?”

“Not quite, dearie,” the old woman said, idly inspecting the Dust Buster in her lap. “Obedience is the result of submission; it isn’t submission itself. Submission is a thing of the will, of the heart. It’s possible to obey God but in your heart be in rebellion to Him.” She hefted the Dust Buster and muttered, “I wonder if I should empty this thing. It feels full.”

Silence settled between them, as Harold waited for the old woman to explain further. He’d never considered that obedience could be divorced from submission; he’d thought the two things were essentially synonymous: to obey God was to submit to Him. As Harold pondered this, the Pharisees leapt to mind, professionally obedient law-keepers but with hearts, Jesus said, that were far from God.

“Have you ever actually submitted yourself to God’s will and way, Harold?” the old woman inquired, shaking the Dust Buster and making it rattle. “Hmmm…” she murmured, “Lots of crud in there.”

“I trust Him. I try to depend on Him.”

“But have you submitted yourself to God? Have you yielded yourself to His will and way?”

“Well, if I trust God, if I am depending on Him, am I not submitting myself to Him?”

“Goodness! No! I trust my doctor but I don’t submit to him as I do to God. I depend on my daughter to drive me to the grocery store once a week, but I don’t live under her moment-by-moment authority and control.”

Confused now, and annoyed at being so, Harold snapped, “How can you be trusting God and depending upon Him but not submitted to Him?”

Staring fixedly at Harold, her mouth in a thin, disapproving line, the old lady said, “You tell me, dearie. How do you do it?”

If his aged interlocutor had been anyone else, Harold would have stormed off in a huff, feeling he was being played with. But something about the old lady arrested Harold’s anger, made him feel foolish at the thought of having a temper tantrum. Her gaze left him with the sense that he was right on the edge of understanding a very important, life-changing truth. “Sorry,” Harold said, abashed, “I’m just feeling like I’ve badly misunderstood what it is to be a Christian. It’s…embarrassing.”

Waving her hand dismissively, the old woman responded, “Never mind. Never mind. Don’t get distracted. You’re almost there. Submission is its own thing. It’s related to obedience, and trust, and dependence upon God, but it’s distinct from these things.” Her eyes still glued to him, the old woman said, “Will you submit yourself to God, Harold? Will you yield to His will and way, to His constant control over you?”

“I’m confused…He knows I want Him to be in control of me…”

“Have you told Him so, Harold? Will you submit yourself to Him?”

“But surely, God can see what I want.”

“So, tell Him so. Tell Him you want to submit yourself to His will and way, not your own.”

“But, He knows! Why do I have to tell Him anything? He can see what I want.”

Looking away from Harold to the cross on the wall, the old lady said, “Father, help him to see, to yield to you. I can only point the way. You alone are able to make him understand and do.” She closed her eyes and bowed her head and said, “You are free in Christ, Harold.”

Harold watched his aged companion for several long moments, his mind and heart wrestling violently against the truth of her words. The thought of actually consciously, out-loud, submitting himself to God had locked his jaw. Why? Why was this simple thing suddenly impossible to do? Everything within him was abruptly rebelling against the idea of saying to God, “I submit myself to you.” A tumult of fear and doubt, of self-condemnation and sin-exhaustion, of desire and hope, roiled about within him. But as the seconds ticked by, the inner chaos resolved down into two basic warring desires: a desire for God and a desire to be God. He couldn’t satisfy both desires; Harold would have to choose – and had been choosing every day, though he was only just realizing it.

Body trembling, tears streaming down his cheeks, Harold moaned, “Oh, God, help me. I can’t say it.” Leaning forward, Harold dropped his face into his hands. “Why is this so hard? I can’t…”

“Yes, you can. You are free, Harold, in Jesus.”

“Free?!” Harold cried, his hands gripping handfuls of his hair. “I’m not free! Look at me! What am I free from?!”

“From yourself.”

Harold felt the light, gentle touch of the old woman’s hand on his back. “Jesus has freed you from yourself. Believe it. Stand in your freedom, Harold. Submit yourself to God.”

I’m free in Christ? Can I step away from myself, from playing god, and submit to the One True God? Harold felt a stillness begin to form in him as he focused on the old woman’s words.

Softly, the old woman intoned, “If the Son shall make you free, you shall be free indeed.”

A lightness filled Harold then, divine truth dissolving the spirit of rebellion within his heart, liberating him to exclaim, “This foolish slave of sin, of himself, wants to be free! God, I submit to you! I yield. I surrender. Not my will but yours be done!”

“And it shall be – so long as you remain submitted to Him,” the old woman said in his ear, her hand patting his back. “Submission is the Great Battle of every day.”

Was he different? Had something happened? Harold wondered. The backlit cross drew his gaze once again and as he looked at it, Harold felt…peace and joy. When he’d entered the sanctuary, the cross had made him feel condemned, unworthy and foul. Tears of joy and gratefulness coursed down his face as he considered it now. “I want you to control me, Father,” Harold blurted out, excited that he could do so unhindered. “Please shape my thoughts, and desires, and behavior to your will!” In a fit of happiness, he turned to give the old woman a hug.

She was gone; her seat empty, except for the Dust Buster – and another Scotch mint. The smell of roses and lavender lingered in the air over the chair in which she’d sat. Harold jumped to his feet, whirling about to scan the sanctuary. “Hey!” he called out. “Where are you? Hey!”

After several minutes of carefully searching the sanctuary, Harold was certain he was alone. Scratching his head, he wondered briefly if he’d imagined the whole incredible conversation he’d had with the remarkable senior in the green cardigan. Laughing, puzzled, he strode toward the rear doors of the sanctuary. As he passed through them, he halted, struck by a thought: She’d called him “Harold.”

She was a stranger to him, though, and he’d never told her his name.

Grinning widely, Harold murmured, “Thank you, Father.” Then, he tossed the mint in his mouth and went out.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
He'd prayed the same thing for days now, and had determined that this would be the very last time he would ever pray this prayer. "God make me love you," Harold pleaded, head bowed, eyes squeezed shut and every fiber of his being quivering with intent. "I really mean it, God. I want you to make me love you. I know I don't love you like I should, so change me!" Lifting his head, Harold waited, eyes focused upward, straining to sense a shift within, a response to his prayer. Several long moments passed before a heavy sigh escaped Harold's lips and he slumped forward, elbows resting on his knees. Nothing. Silence. Like always.

Well, that's it, Harold thought. If God won't change me, I'm just going to stop caring about it. I'm done with asking and getting nothing.

"What're you doing?"

With a small yelp, Harold straightened in his chair, his head snapping around in the direction of the quiet, questioning voice. "Goodness! You gave me a start!" he said, rather loudly, "I didn't think anyone was in here."

"I'm cleaning the sanctuary," a frail, hunched, silver-haired figure replied, her gnarled, aged hands clutching a Dust Buster. She stood in the aisle, only three chairs away, looking at him with kind, watery eyes. "I can't do much these days," she said with a smile, waving the Dust Buster at Harold, "but I can still handle this! You'd think folks were eating lunch while the service was going on there're so many bits and crumbs on some of these chairs. Old Joe here comes in very handy, sucking up all the leavings." The ancient woman's eyes twinkled as she repeated her earlier question, "So, what're you doing?"

"Nothing," Harold responded, a little petulantly, like a naughty child caught in the act. Embarrassed, he stood to his feet, scanning the sanctuary for the nearest exit.

His elderly companion settled herself in the chair next to the one Harold had just vacated and said, "Didn't look like nothing to me. Sit, dearie, and fill me in. You looked fit to burst just now as you were praying...You were praying, weren't you? It looked like praying, anyway." She patted the seat of the chair Harold had been sitting in and grinned. "Plop yourself down and talk to me."

The blue eyes sparkling up at him and the warm smile radiating kindness and sympathy made Harold think of his mother, deceased for more than a decade, and he found himself sitting, a desperate desire to share his frustration rushing forward within him. "He's ignoring me," Harold declared, mouth twisted into a grimace.

"Who's that, dear?" the old woman queried, her gaze fixed steadily upon him. She had half-turned in her chair so she could face him more directly, her pale green cardigan twisted around her, its dark buttons in a diagonal line across her torso.

A scent of roses and lavender filled Harold's nostrils as he replied, "God. I think He's mad at me, or something. He won't answer my prayer."

“Has He got a reason to be mad at you?”

Harold wondered for a moment how careful in his answers he should be with the old gal but doubted she’d parse Greek with him and so he spoke what he felt rather than playing the seminarian. “He’s probably got lots of reasons. I’m not perfect. I feel like we’re far apart, God and me; like He’s turned away from me and is waiting for me to figure out why. I want something more with Him, something…real, not this long-distance relationship I’ve been in for years.”

Harold ran a hand through his hair and realized he was going to tell everything to the geriatric stranger next to him. “I don’t love God. Not really. I look like I do – I go to church, teach a Sunday School class, sing in the choir, read my Bible, pray – but right at my core who I really love is myself. Truth be told, God’s way down on my list of things I love.”

Harold looked sidelong at his companion, gauging her response. Her eyes had closed but a tiny smile still wrinkled the corners of her mouth. He wondered if she’d fallen asleep.

“I’m listening,” she murmured, as though reading his mind. Her eyes opened, fixing on him, and she nodded, “Go on.”

“Ah. Well, that’s it, basically. Outside of church on Sunday I’m a pretty big hypocrite. I have a temper, and when it blows, I swear and throw things around. I…look at things I shouldn’t. On my phone. It’s so easy and so tempting. I think my wife wants a divorce. My kids hate me. And I’ve been…” Harold couldn’t stop; he needed to get it all off his chest, to be totally honest, finally, with someone – even if it was a total stranger, “doing drugs. Cocaine, mostly, but other stuff, too. I’m addicted, actually.”

There. He’d said it. All of it. He felt strangely at peace, calm, lighter in himself. Was this God?

The elderly woman next to him chuckled softly, “What you’re feeling is relief, not God. Your conscience unburdened, nothing more.” She patted his arm and in an earnest tone said, “But it’s a start.”

Looking for any sign of revulsion in his confidante, Harold sat, silent, pondering what she’d said. Relief. Not God. Not the peace of God, even. Just relief. He had hoped his honesty would have done something, drawn God’s interest, closed the gap a bit between him and God. But Harold felt no more love for God now than he had before his admission of his sin.

He continued to watch his audience of one. The old gal would have made a great poker player! he thought. She gave no hint that his confession made her uneasy, or repulsed her. Her eyes were shut again and her smile was gone, but her face retained a serene character, relaxed and placid.

After a minute or so of silence, realizing he was going to get no further response from his listener, Harold spoke: “You must think I’m a pretty awful person, eh?”

“Yes, quite terrible. Wicked. Deceitful.” The old lady’s eyes opened, fixing on the large wooden, backlit cross fixed high on the wall behind the pulpit at the front of the sanctuary. “Very human.” Her gaze shifted from the cross to Harold, a sad smile on her lips. “Have you told Him?”

“Told who?”

“The One with Whom You Have To Do.”

Confused for a moment, Harold’s brows bent together, his forehead creasing in consternation. Then, his face cleared and he said, “God, you mean.” Harold rubbed the tops of his thighs, his hands sliding rapidly back-and-forth over them, and answered, “Not for a long while, actually. I kept confessing, again and again. It began to feel…fake. How could God keep forgiving me?”

“How could He not?”

“I don’t follow you,” Harold said, distracted by the realization that his companion had called him wicked and deceitful. She was right, but it stung to hear her say so. “Are you saying God has to forgive me?”

A chuckle rose from the little woman in the pale, green cardigan. “Not exactly, dearie.” Her blue eyes twinkled at him, “Do you deserve to be forgiven by God? Does God owe it to you to forgive your sin, do you think?”

“No. I suppose not.”

“Right.” Eyes wide now, her expression serious, his aged friend (for this was how Harold was thinking of her now) put a veiny, spotted hand on his arm and said, “So, why does He? Why does God forgive you?”

Harold was no stranger to this question, having asked it himself of the students in his Sunday School class. “Because of Christ. What he did on the cross, atoning for my sins.”

Nodding, the old woman leaned forward, her creased face getting close to Harold’s. “And what he did? It was perfect, yes?”

“Yes.”

“Complete?”

“Right.”

“Fully satisfied God forever?”

“Yes…”

“Can you get to the end of what Jesus did on the cross? Can you sin so much, your sin exceeds his sacrifice for it?”

“Well, no…”

The woman was watching him with great intensity, her hand squeezing his arm. “Where sin abounds, God’s grace abounds much more. Why have you stopped confessing your sin to Him, then? Your sin stops up the works, puts a barrier between you and God that remains ‘til you take it down.”

“By confession, you mean?”

“Exactly.”

“So, my prayers to God have been “stopped up” by my not confessing my sin to Him?”

“Right-o, dearie! Got it in one!” The old lady sat back in her chair, looking again to the cross at the front of the sanctuary. It stood out starkly in the shadowy theater lighting of the huge room, drawing the eye. She sighed. “As it piles up, sin blinds us, confuses us, hides the truth from us - the truth we once knew well - in its darkness.” Her silvery curls swayed and bobbed as she shook her head. “Better to confess it and remain in the light.” Noticing her skewed buttons, the elderly woman pulled on her cardigan, moving the buttons into a proper vertical line. “Well, I’d better get at it,” she said as she hefted her Dust Buster, “The chairs can’t clean themselves.”

Gingerly, the old lady shifted herself to the front edge of the chair seat, grabbed the top of the chair back in front of her with one hand and prepared to stand. “Wait,” Harold said. “If I confess, will God make me love Him like I asked? More than drugs? More than inappropriate content? More than myself?” He had stood as the woman had angled herself to the edge of her seat, his hands hovering on either side of her to offer support. “I don’t want to just keep confessing over and over. Even I know this isn’t what the Christian life is supposed to be like. If I don’t change, I’m going to end up a broke, addicted, divorcee.”

“So that was what you were praying about when I came along?” The old lady wobbled to standing, grimaced briefly, then fished about in the pocket of her cardigan for a moment, finally drawing out a scotch mint in a cellophane wrapper. She handed it to Harold with a broad smile on her face, “Here. Have a candy.”

Without thinking, Harold took the mint, unwrapped it and popped it into his mouth. “Thanks,” he murmured.

“Well, I’ve got up and I’m not going back down so I can just get up again in a minute,” the old woman declared, “Too much of a bother when you’re stiff as a board and weak as a kitten.” She looked up at Harold and said, “You want to love God?”

“Yes,” Harold replied.

“Why?”

“Aren’t we supposed to love God?”

“So, you want to love God ‘cause you’re supposed to?”

Harold didn’t much like how that sounded: dutiful, obligatory, not very…loving. “Well, when you put it like that…” he began.

“It’s not how I put, young man,” his ancient companion remarked, archly.

“Loving God is the best life to live, right?” Harold felt strangely like a child being taught a lesson, scolded, even, a bit, but by the nicest possible person. He sucked on the mint, thoughtfully.

The old lady sighed, her smile shrinking and her eyes growing hard. “What is it you want from God?” she pressed. “What’s loving Him going to get you?”

Harold answered immediately: “Peace, power, wisdom, joy – You know,” he waved his hand as though shooing a fly, “the Fruit of the Spirit and so on.”

“Ah,” the elderly woman said, her eyes sad, a sickly smile twisting her lips. “I had a dog, once.” She paused, looking down at “Ol Joe” in her hands.

This is an odd tangent to take, Harold thought. “I don’t –”

“It was a rotten dog,” the old woman continued, gesturing dangerously with the Dust Buster in punctuation of her words, “A lap dog. Fluffy. Cute. Little, black eyes. Could have fit in my purse.” She looked up at Harold and in a stern voice, went on, “But it was the most selfish dog I’ve ever encountered. Like a cat, really. If I wasn’t petting him, or feeding him, or taking him for a walk, well, I might as well have been dead for all the interest he took in me. All he wanted was what I could give him; he didn’t want me.”

“I see…” said Harold.

Her eyebrows climbed up her forehead, forming deep wrinkles in her skin. Face filled with bemusement, she said, “No, you don’t.” Then, she tapped him in the chest with the Dust Buster. “What’s my wretched dog got to do with you loving God?”

That was supposed to be my question! Harold thought. “Was it a chihuahua?” he asked, stalling for time, his thunder stolen.

The woman turned to examine the chair she’d been sitting on. “Looks like I’ll have to sit down again.”

Continued in following post.
Whew!

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Bit of a read, eh? Did you get all the way to the end? If so, thanks for making the effort.
A far cry from the couple if paragraphs I usually read, lol. I haven't read the second part yet but I left it open. From the looks of it will be a while. You must have a vindetta toward me if you read my profile comments. Short and sweet is my motto
Koodos to you for your perserverense! I sure hope you didn't type the whole thing.
Happy Easter:)

Upvote 0