Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I'm a convert myself. We have a couple of people here that are going through RCIA now.

I hope to do it in the future, if my illness lets up on me. May you and everyone else here have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You too and prayers for your recovery.

I hope to do it in the future, if my illness lets up on me. May you and everyone else here have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Reactions: Streampaws
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
70d33f6af7dbb301118bf4a1d8a644d6550a34931550a177aca21b6445eb3835.jpg

But seriously... Happy Thanksgiving everybody. :)

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
It is, I don't have it often but it is what I look forward to in Thanksgiving desserts. Not sure where you live, I live in Tennessee so it might be a regional thing. Really good pie though, especially when it is still a bit warm.

Sounds delicious. Not common in the Northeast.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
"...for three days we entertained and feasted."

Edward Winslow was among the group of Pilgrims present at the first Thanksgiving. He describes the scene:

"Our harvest being gotten in, our governor sent four men on fowling, that so we might after a special manner rejoice together after we had gathered the fruit of our labors. They four in one day killed as much fowl as, with a little help beside, served the company almost a week.

At which time, amongst other recreations, we exercised our arms, and many of the Indians coming amongst us, and among the rest their greatest king Massasoit, with some ninety men, whom for three days we entertained and feasted, and they went out and killed five deer, which they brought to the plantation and bestowed on our governor, and upon the captain and others. And although it be not always so plentiful as it was at this time with us, yet by the goodness of God, we are so far from want that we often wish you partakers of our plenty."

References:
Edward Winslow's account appears in: Heath, Dwight, A Journal of the Pilgrims at Plymouth: Mourt's Relation (1963); EyeWitness to America (1997); Morrison, Samuel Eliot, Builders of the Bay Colony (1930).

How To Cite This Article:
"The First Thanksgiving, 1621," EyeWitness to History, www.eyewitnesstohistory.com (2010).

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Don't make fun of me, but what is exactly Thanksgiving? What do you celebrate? I mean I heard a lot about it, but I don't even know in which honor this day is so special for the americans..
It's to give thanks to God for the blessings we've received. Originally, it was something the pilgrims did. George Washington also did it when he was president. It wasn't a national holiday until 1863 and Abe Lincoln made it one.

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm making this too
http://www.bloggingoverthyme.com/ro...s-squash-dried-cranberries-dijon-vinaigrette/
plus a homemade version of the traditional green bean casserole, roasted asparagus, two cornbread stuffing (one sweet, one savory ) sweet potatoes, and green chile stew.
You must be entertaining a huge crowd! There are just three of us--my husband, my oldest son, and me. Our three kids are far flung--the youngest lives an hour away from us, the middle one lives in Asia, and we spent two weeks with him this summer. Our Thanksgivings are pretty quiet usually--we do a little bit better getting people together around Christmas time.
But when we did have big Thanksgivings and Christmases, when we still lived in NY, the hostess would make the turkey and one or two other things, and all the guests would bring a dish.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
You must be entertaining a huge crowd! There are just three of us--my husband, my oldest son, and me. Our three kids are far flung--the youngest lives an hour away from us, the middle one lives in Asia, and we spent two weeks with him this summer. Our Thanksgivings are pretty quiet usually--we do a little bit better getting people together around Christmas time.
But when we did have big Thanksgivings and Christmases, when we still lived in NY, the hostess would make the turkey and one or two other things, and all the guests would bring a dish.
Smaller than usual this year, but weather and road conditions meant things were up in the air for many folks we know. We usually have kind of an open house dsy, inviting international students who can't make it home for the short break, grad students, friends, coworkers, anyone we know unable to travel or who wants company. So this morning I didn't know if I was cooking for 4 or 30 :). My husband bought a small turkey and cooked it away from the kitchen to give me room and I did the rest, holding back on some dishes until I had a better idea of how many to expect.

Upvote 0