Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I didn't mean for this to turn into an argument.

Anyone know anything about christmas trees and their meanings specifically?

What about easter with Easter bunnies and eggs?

Got any explanations as to why we use these in the holidays?

I've talked about it here. So I'm not going to answer that because I want people to research.

Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good. Forasmuch as there is none like unto thee, O Lord; thou art great, and thy name is great in might. (Jeremiah 10:2-6 KJV)

He is speaking on idolaters but I think it's relevant.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have 100% proof Halloween is evil and should not be celebrated. Its a long article (very long) but it shows you undeniable proof that christians should not celebrate it. It essentially also shows where Halloween truly came from:
Click Here For Article

So in my mind after reading that, I believe its a sin to even celebrate that holiday.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, Halloween is over and I had exactly ONE Zombie (out of 94 trick or treaters) and ONE two-year old made up to be Glenda, the "good witch," come to the door. A lot of little Captain Americas and Spidermen must not have realized that they were supposed to be celebrating Satan. :sigh:

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have 100% proof Halloween is evil and should not be celebrated. Its a long article (very long) but it shows you undeniable proof that christians should not celebrate it. It essentially also shows where Halloween truly came from:
Click Here For Article

So in my mind after reading that, I believe its a sin to even celebrate that holiday.
Thanks for the article. I always wondered about Guy Fawkes Day. This was the first time someone addressed its origins.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have 100% proof Halloween is evil and should not be celebrated.

The obvious error in that line of thinking is that none of us who help little children have some innocent fun are "celebrating" anything religiouis. I'd like to agree with those who remind us of the Christian holy eve that the event is named for, but the truth is that hardly anyone, even among Christians, looks at it that way. It's a secular holiday to all intents and purposes. And as for it being a "celebration" of something evil, that's not even close.

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Last night I saw older children helping the younger ones up and down stairs, whether or not they knew them. They allowed the younger ones to go first to receive candy. Everyone was polite. The community was out and socializing which we won't be able to do really once bad weather sets in. That's not evil.

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,490.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Freakazoid- that articile is poorly researched.

I do not know if I should laugh or cry at the simple errors made from using secondary badly researched supposition over good old fashioned real scholarship with prime sources.

Its so full of inaccuracies it is sadly laughable.

The worrying thing is the attempt at appologetics is built on the illusion of reality the author has choosen to construct and so the theology does not give a reasonned defence as it should.

They should try studying English political history between the Tudors and Stuarts. That is before we tackle the religios political hot potato of catholic/reformist swings of the same period in which all arguements and heresy on both sides tended to be solved by the judicious use of fire. An example of christians disagreeing over doctrine at its absolute best.:sigh:

Its impoversihed articles like this that make me wonder if I did the right thing in choosing Christ. I think I need to sit down with some decent scholarly christian appologetic theology to recoup. Perhaps Galations may suffice.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well even if the article is poorly researched the evidence about Halloween is in front of us all. Evil faced pumpkins, costumes that can be evil, haunted houses, ghosts, tricks vs treating...etc. In the end what we say/do means we have to answer to God for if it was wrong/right. So I'll just leave it at that and say I'd rather not take the chance Halloween is actually is bad.

Reactions: Lotuspetal_uk
Upvote 0

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,490.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Freakazoid- if your concious tells you its something you should not do then you should not do it.

I do not bother simply because all the pumkins and costumes are simply a secular money making opportunity created by commerce. It has nothing to do with the old pagan celebration after ensuring enough food has been stored to give a small community a chance to survive a hard winter nor the reflective Christian one of remembering those who have died to us but live in Christ.

Upvote 0

znr

Report THIS.
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Silverado
✟52,720.00
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
Freakazoid- that articile is poorly researched.

I do not know if I should laugh or cry at the simple errors made from using secondary badly researched supposition over good old fashioned real scholarship with prime sources.

Its so full of inaccuracies it is sadly laughable.

The worrying thing is the attempt at appologetics is built on the illusion of reality the author has choosen to construct and so the theology does not give a reasonned defence as it should.

They should try studying English political history between the Tudors and Stuarts. That is before we tackle the religios political hot potato of catholic/reformist swings of the same period in which all arguements and heresy on both sides tended to be solved by the judicious use of fire. An example of christians disagreeing over doctrine at its absolute best.:sigh:

Its impoversihed articles like this that make me wonder if I did the right thing in choosing Christ. I think I need to sit down with some decent scholarly christian appologetic theology to recoup. Perhaps Galations may suffice.

Thanks for saving me the effort of typing out my own answer, yours will do nicely.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wtrailer

May 1, 2011
✟16,728.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I absolutely love Halloween! It is probably my favorite time of year. I grew up watching scary movies, trick or treating, carving pumpkins, etc. and I probably love it even more now. To me it's all about the scary mysteries of life. The old abandoned house, the creeky door, the dark moonlit sky. There is nothing more magical than going on a hayride through a dark forest or cornfield on a cold October evening. Telling a scary story at a bonfire. I think to me it's that feeling of looking out the window at the foreboding darkness but knowing I am safe in my warm home. The world God created is very mysterious and very dangerous.

WT

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Last night I saw older children helping the younger ones up and down stairs, whether or not they knew them. They allowed the younger ones to go first to receive candy. Everyone was polite. The community was out and socializing which we won't be able to do really once bad weather sets in. That's not evil.

My experience this Halloween, too!

Upvote 0

Nilla

No longer on staff
Apr 8, 2006
Sweden
✟56,683.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Mod Hat On