✟39,041.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually the halloween type stuff started back during ancient times
with the worshippers of Baal--The mystic rites and ceremonies with which Halloween was originally observed had their origin among the Druids . . . ancient Baal festivals from which many of the Halloween customs are derived. (Douglas, George William. The American Book of Days, p. 569)

I don't think we should dress up in scary or evil customs that represent the very things
that the Lord tells us not to do and or worship- (no witchcraft, fortune-telling, demons/devil/monster, no "glorifying murder, prostitution/wanton behaviors etc

If you want to have a party and put on a custom- one can do so without
dressing like witches, vamps, hookers, bloody victims or killers, skeletons, warlocks, devils/demons and the like.

The best custom I've ever seen was a guy who made himself up as a box of popcorn--
complete with authentic looking popcorn, butter and smell of real popcorn!

But my point is if that makes you comfortable and you feel nothing while doing it then good for you. But if an African mask or a samurai sword are in my house as decoration and have no meaning other then looking cool its the exact samething.

I don't do halloween because I feel funny about it I don't take part in any pagan hollidays because of how they make me feel. Not because of how they make you feel.

I just was noting that it's interesting that we as Christians place more of an importance in protecting our soul from occult items vs occult hollidays.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No I actually don't I don't even do thanksgiving

How sad! All this "I don't do" is what pagans find distasteful about Christians-comes across as Snobbery. soundslike i'm better than you b/c i don't ____.

the only thing we got that's better than them is our life raft named Jesus-he's the only difference between us and them...

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I have shared this before on here--
My extended family got offended when they learned
me and my mom weren't putting up a tree at Christmas time
(this was many years ago.)
I decorated our home with (clear) twinkle lights, bright red billowy
bows with long tails, scented pine garland across the fireplace mantle
and placed on the hearth a wooden manger with baby doll(representing baby Jesus)
I had placed presents around the manger.

So that when "friends" dropped off presents, they would have to bow down to place
the gift in front of the manger.
This wasn't received well by my family/friends -- and yes, the majority of them are long
time Christians.
Echoes of "I can't believe there's no Christmas tree" resound
in my head when I recall that Christmas.

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I just added my own thoughts-- I didn't pre-read comments here
until I scrolled down to read over what I'd written.

It not about making me comfortable that is how "we" are--
we have parties from time to time and from childhood
to adult we didn't have customs of that sort-- I've always liked
dress up lol!

Like I've written on here before, we don't always celebrate holidays
as others do, it's been like that since I was a tot. We were very poor
and a lot of our celebrations revolved more around a hearty meal
and good conversation than gifts etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
How sad! All this "I don't do" is what pagans find distasteful about Christians-comes across as Snobbery. soundslike i'm better than you b/c i don't ____.

the only thing we got that's better than them is our life raft named Jesus-he's the only difference between us and them...

*Perhaps or perhaps not, I know non-Christians who aren't offended by Christians who don't celebration the holidays like they do.

I ain't better than a non-Christian-- all the righteous that I have
was imparted to me by Jesus.

The problem I'm seeing nowadays is folks "assuming" instead of
asking a person about things....

Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟39,041.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Read my post I wrote to bf. What I don't do or do do has nothing to do with you.

Like I said I can look at a dreamcatcher and respect the tradition and the beauty in its history same as I can an African mask ect. That doesn't affect me spiritually however I don't do halloween because it does bother me, I don't do thanksgiving because of what it's celebrating. That's what I don't do and will do.

Your dont do and will do are different then mine. Your walk with Christ is different then mine.

I don't do pagan hollidays or scary movies because I feel something when I do. I will listen to rap and watch a Kung fu flick and feel nothing....because that's me.

Why is it when someone says how they are and what they do people get scared like ooooh nooooo he's trying to tell me I'm wrong. That's not the spirit of Christ.

So you are basically saying we are supposed to be as worldly as the pagans? I think that's an issue in the church. The fact is our children are supposed to act and behave different, marital arguments should be conducted different, how we treat the poor should be different, how we behave at work or in school should be different. It's not about better or worse it's about who we serve we are a direct reflexion of the church. People want to be saved and the same as pagans you can't be. You can't serve two masters and that has nothing to do with don't do's but who you do it for.

We all have our individual freedoms and we all have things we can't do Halloween isn't my freedom it might be yours but that has nothing to do with me. Imma do me you do you if your wrong on you if I'm wrong it's on me.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟39,041.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

*Perhaps or perhaps not, I know non-Christians who aren't offended by Christians who don't celebration the holidays like they do.

I ain't better than a non-Christian-- all the righteous that I have
was imparted to me by Jesus.

The problem I'm seeing nowadays is folks "assuming" instead of
asking a person about things....

Yeah I in no way said do what I do I just said its interesting how we are more cautious of items vs events. Then I get jumped on

Upvote 0

Trishn40

Sep 13, 2012
Western New York
✟15,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have a 19 year old son and a 13 year old daughter. My son decided he was not going to go trick-or-treating years ago. The last time I took my daughter was two years ago. It was a horrible night. Teenagers were running around among the little kids spraying shaving cream and perfume from squirt guns all over the place. They were practically running over the younger kids and the foul language was unbelievable! My daughter got perfume in her eyes and we left early.

Last year, she went to the school dance/party instead. They played games, danced, and had a great time. Most of the kids didn't wear much of a costume - hat and makeup mostly. Most importantly, I knew she was safe.

It's not like it was when I was a kid.

Trish

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My parents never let me do Halloween nor even talk about it really. On one occasion we did do a harvest party at the church on halloween which to me was silly since the people that came sometimes dressed up as witches and stuff like that anyways.

Some say its not a evil holiday. THat my or may not be true but you should be focused on what halloween shows you in america. My fiance is from the Philippines and never heard the holiday. So I had her search videos on it. She didn't understand why christians would let their kids participate in things that had occult/evil tones to them. Such as witches, magic, mischief...etc. She thinks if you kid dresses up as a witch or sees a witch, that eventuially they may not realize witches are the very things we christians are against. She also didn't get why around the holiday why horror movies are out like the movie Halloween, Saw or Jason.

Its a dangerous holiday to celebrate. And biblicaly we have to ask... does this holiday bring us closer to God? All I see is it brings us closer to accepting magic, withcraft and things like that. Which is the opposite of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
xfreakazoidx said:
Its a dangerous holiday to celebrate. And biblicaly we have to ask... does this holiday bring us closer to God? All I see is it brings us closer to accepting magic, withcraft and things like that. Which is the opposite of God.

What is dangerous about getting candy while sharing the gospel with people you encounter?

Upvote 0

LekryceMack

Jun 7, 2012
✟15,224.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do the same. I teach my girls that Halloween isn't a Godly "holiday" and that we don't believe in what it stands for.

Lol I also teach my kids that as long as they don't dress in a costume that is either extremely revealing or evil, there's no reason they can't go out and have fun like everyone else.

Some people say we shouldn't go out on halloween. Me personally, I have two girls, and I don't want to see them grow up to turn away from Jesus because they connect Christianity to not being allowed to have fun.

I think you're absolutely right in what you're doing. Keep it up mama!

My mother does the same. She doesn't support anything that is halloween. I don't either but don't mind trick or treating. At my age lol. I have two little sisters as well. I think it is important (because my mom does the same) for parents to not contradict themselves. Not saying you are m'am. But as parents, you have to tell your children the truth and nothing but without contradiction. In general, despite the roots of the holiday wether good or bad, Halloween represents nothing Godly at all. There is nothing wrong with having fun, but telling a child halloween is evil and then saying they can still dress up is kind of well....you get the idea. Its just one of those things to be aware of. Christmas is an example too. There are sayings Christ wasn't even born on that date, plus the whole santa clause thing that gets into children's heads. You can't tell a child the santa clause type christmas is ungodly and buy a christmas tree with decorations. wether they like the truth or not you gotta let them know knowing that God is smiling and will certainly be blessing your kids (without having them wanting to turn away from the word.) You gotta remember, as God says, "we live in this world but we are not of it." So the traditions, rituals, and other stuff that have nothing to do OR degrade God's existence, we should be practicing them. If anything teach your kids everyday is holiday when your alive with Christ :). After all, its the truth and nothing but.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What is dangerous about getting candy while sharing the gospel with people you encounter?
Maybe I am the exception but american christians have become very worldy and secular in what they do. My fiance is from the philippines and she is shocked about all the things we accept here and do as christians.

Heres a something to read that says it better then I can:

Halloween...
Is Halloween innocent or a dark practice that should be hated, avoided, not immitated and exposed by Christians? Here are four basic facts associated with Halloween:

1. Its origin is from the Celtic druids of Ireland and it is connected with their pagan religion of Spiritism. It is not a Christian holiday even though some might wrongly try to connect it to such.

2. At the very heart of that religion is the occult. (Halloween is the biggest day for witches.)

3. Halloween reeks with evil, even from a secular point of view—demons, witches, the devil, fairies, haunted houses, zombies, ghost stories, etc.

4. Vandalism increases on Halloween.

The Bible Says...
We don’t really need more details about Halloween than the aforementioned to prove it is associated with and promotes evil. So what does the Bible say about such things? Here are related Scriptures condemning the occult and anything imitating it, such as is done on October 31 with Halloween:

● When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead.
Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD, and because of these detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you. (Deu 18:9-12)

● Dear friend, do not imitate what is evil but what is good. (3 John 1:11)

● Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil. (1 Th 5:21,22)

● Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. (Rom. 12:9)

● Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. (Eph 5:11)

● But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death. (Rev 21:8)

● Many of those who believed now came and openly confessed their evil deeds. A number who had practiced sorcery brought their scrolls together and burned them publicly. When they calculated the value of the scrolls, the total came to fifty thousand drachmas. (Acts 19:18,19)

Lastly about the candy....
To give candy to children is to encourage a practice, which is an abomination to God. On that basis alone, no professing Christian should have anything to do with it. Just because Halloween is gaining in popularity, with its orange decorative lights, etc., doesn’t mean it is innocent and okay with God. It is not innocent nor is it Christian.

According to the Celtic religion, October 31 is the last day of their year and when spirits flood the countryside. It is supposed to be the best time to contact spirits. That has led to the various Halloween symbols and evil practices (including divination and even human sacrifice among the Satanists).

TRICK OR TREAT originally meant giving food to appease evil spirits or something bad like property damage would occur to your house.

Jack o’lantern pumpkins, black cat pictures, bobbing for apples, dressing in scary costumes and bon fires are all part of Halloween and have a religious origin.

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
xfreakazoidx said:
Maybe I am the exception but american christians have become very worldy and secular in what they do. My fiance is from the philippines and she is shocked about all the things we accept here and do as christians.

Heres a something to read that says it better then I can:

I understand the background of Halloween. I do teach my children that they only go out for candy, and I share the gospel while they have fun.

You are right about Christianity becoming very secular, but my biggest goal as a parent is to ensure that my children don't grow up to turn away from the faith because it kept them from having fun.
I want my children to understand that a relationship with Christ isn't about being hidden away in one's house while everyone else enjoys an evening, but about sharing the joy of the Lord. We can't share if we don't interact with people who are not Christian, we cannot do anything for the faith that way.

I teach my girls that Halloween isn't a real holiday, and they are not allowed to dress in costumes that represent anything evil. But I also teach them that free candy is allowed.

Upvote 0

lvmangione

Aug 23, 2012
✟15,366.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is a bit OT but it was mentioned in the topic so I want to ask.. What is wrong with a Christmas tree? I don't mean that rudely, I'm just curious. Is it wrong for us to put up a Christmas tree?

As for Halloween, I really don't have many thoughts on it. I don't connect it with anything evil, as a child I dressed up, and I'm sure I'll let my future kids do the same but as MP said, no evil costumes, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My grand kids dress up in scary costumes.Does it harm their love of God or pull them towards evil? NO
They trick or Treat,have a good time,eat candy until we put a stop to it and then go to bed after their prayers.
They know that Jesus loves them, and they return the love..no harm done.

Upvote 0

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find it funny that many Christians will hide easter eggs for their children or put up a pine tree in their living room and have presents appear on Dec 25th...yet dressing up in a fun costume and asking neighbors for candy is some horrible thing to do. If anything, it brings an opportunity with your neighbors to develop a relationship with.

:amen:

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I would love your thoughts on this. If you allow your children to dress up for Halloween, do you have rules about what kind of costumes they can dress in? I tell my kids that can't dress up as:

- Witch
- Devil
- Ghost
- Monster
- Vampire
- Murderer type ie: Evil Dr. with blood all over them
- Frankenstein's monster and his bride? Not sure on this one, would you consider them to be evil?

Basically anything symbolizing evil.

Halloween is Americas pre-occupation with death for a day. After that, the reality of fear of death sets back in ...at least to those who dont want to know Christ.

I would not allow your children to partake in an event that glorifies the hopelessness , despair, and evil . I would find out where in your locale you can take your kids to a Halloween Party/Gathering where candy is dispensed and where they can still have a bit of fun. Many churches hold a venue like this, or the public library , or Community Center in a safe supervised fun atmosphere .

Upvote 0

bsd31

Aug 16, 2009
South of Canada, North of Mexico
✟17,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I can't believed I almost missed the annual CF "Halloween is/isn't evil" thread!

I've come prepared. Carry on!

popcorn.jpg

Upvote 0