Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
Scotland
✟12,446.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can someone tell me how i can find out if something is halal?

and what does halal mean? I have been told it means letting an animal bleed to death but i always thought it was when you slit the throat of an animal and let the blood drain out (this is how i thought all meat was made).

Rut

All creation points to the almighty Creator.
Oct 31, 2005
Norway
✟64,460.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
What I know is halal something good.That is after what fatwas, quran say is good.You have right it have to do how you kill the animal but you must kill it turned to Mecca what I have understood.
A halal food can even be for example a vineager without alchol.That`s too halal.

The opposite of halal is haram

Upvote 0

anatolian

Senior Veteran
Dec 12, 2006
Turkey
✟22,421.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Halal means allowed.Haram means forbiden.There are halals and harams for everything.These are haram-forbiden meats according to Quran, En'am:145"Say: I do not find in that which has been revealed to me anything forbidden for an eater to eat of except that it be what has died of itself, or blood poured forth, or flesh of swine-- for that surely is unclean-- or that which is a transgression, other than (the name of) Allah having been invoked on it; but whoever is driven to necessity, not desiring nor exceeding the limit, then surely your Lord is Forgiving, Merciful. "

Upvote 0

français

Atheist/CA-Bloc Québécois/US-Democrat
Oct 2, 2006
Montréal, Québec
✟21,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Bloc
halal is a lot like Kosher. like for example, my boyfriends grandpa was from morocco and when my boyfriend was a child and visited morocco, he wouldn't even look to see if it was Kosher, because he knew if it was halal, it was prolly kosher. and many, many muslims at the stores will look at food to see if it has a Kosher symbol on it.

it basuically is what muslims can it. and haram is what muslims can not eat. example: wine and pork are haram. bread is halal. simple like that! lol

Upvote 0

glo1

Hier stehe ich. Ich kann nicht anders.
Sep 23, 2006
✟10,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I found this on wikipedia:
Dhabiha (ذَبِيْحَة, ḏabīḥah) is the prescribed method of slaughtering all animals excluding fish and most sea-life per Islamic law. This method of slaughtering animals consists of a swift, deep incision with a sharp knife on the neck, cutting the jugular veins and carotid arteries of both sides but leaving the spinal cord intact. The objective of this technique is to more effectively drain the body of the animal of blood, resulting in more hygienic meat, and to minimize the pain and agony for the animal.[1]

This method has been classed as inhumane by government-funded animal welfare authorities in the UK who have found that it 'causes severe suffering to animals'.[2][3] Cattle require up to two minutes to bleed to death when such means are employed and in the words of the Chairperson of the Farm Animal Welfare Council:
[...]
Full article here

glo

Upvote 0

ServantofTheOne

Aug 19, 2004
✟1,449.00
Faith
Muslim
for meat to be halal, 'Bismillah Ar-Rahman Ar-Raheem' has to be uttered before cutting the throat, then the blood has to be allowed to fully drained. much more hygenic and humane than the commercial slaughterhouses method of electro-thasing the animals up the butt, before chopping their heads off, enne masse.

I'd take the Creator's instructions over a UK animal welfare authority on method of slaughter any day of the week.

Upvote 0

anatolian

Senior Veteran
Dec 12, 2006
Turkey
✟22,421.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Like MercuryAndy I always thought that halal meat had to be slaughtered in a particular way, and has to be slaughtered by a 'person of the Book'.

Are we mistaken?

glo
if that person of the Book bears God's name when he cuts the animal and does that in a clear place yes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

randomman

Jun 11, 2007
✟15,541.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Dhabiha (ذَبِيْحَة, ḏabīḥah) is the prescribed method of slaughtering all animals excluding fish and most sea-life per Islamic law. This method of slaughtering animals consists of a swift, deep incision with a sharp knife on the neck, cutting the jugular veins and carotid arteries of both sides but leaving the spinal cord intact. The objective of this technique is to more effectively drain the body of the animal of blood, resulting in more hygienic meat, and to minimize the pain and agony for the animal.[1]

This method has been classed as inhumane by government-funded animal welfare authorities in the UK who have found that it 'causes severe suffering to animals'.[2][3] Cattle require up to two minutes to bleed to death when such means are employed and in the words of the Chairperson of the Farm Animal Welfare Council:

An experiment was conducted by scientists in Germany in the 1970's which confirmed that the animal does not experience pain at all. The animal goes into deep sleep like condition and loses all senses. Parts of the brain keep functioning to induce reaction to the loss of blood by ordering the body to pump more blood to the brain. This causes violent contractions in the muscles but the animal is already in deep senseless sleep because of the immediate loss of oxygen right after the slit.

Upvote 0

ShyMuslim

Jun 22, 2007
✟15,389.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
There is confusion, even among the Muslims, when it comes to halaal and Dhabiha.

Halaal simply means allowed or permissible. So animals like fish, cow, lamb., etc are halaal animals.

Some animals such as cattle, lamb, goat have to be slaughtered dhabiha style, which is the cutting of the throat and draining of the blood. Animals such as fish cannot be slaughtered in this method but are still considered halaal.

Some animals fall under haram or forbidden. These animals are carnivorous, carrion or pig.....so we can't eat lion, buzzards and a few others. This link is helpful in explaining the dietary laws in Islam. http://www.iica.org/?q=node/82 It has a list at the bottom which helps.

However....if a Muslim were in an extreme situation where they had a choice between eating haram or starving to death they are permitted to eat haram food. Life is sacred in Islam and it is a religion of ease.

~Sarah

Upvote 0

anatolian

Senior Veteran
Dec 12, 2006
Turkey
✟22,421.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
I found this on wikipedia Dhabiha (ذَبِيْحَة, ḏabīḥah) is the prescribed method of slaughtering all animals excluding fish and most sea-life per Islamic law. This method of slaughtering animals consists of a swift, deep incision with a sharp knife on the neck, cutting the jugular veins and carotid arteries of both sides but leaving the spinal cord intact. The objective of this technique is to more effectively drain the body of the animal of blood, resulting in more hygienic meat, and to minimize the pain and agony for the animal.[1]

[...]

Full article here

glo
Cutting the junguler vein and leaving the animal to bleed takes more time but cutting throad completely at first time gives the animal more pain as I know.Becaues its brain doesnt die for a while and goes on to feel the pain

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.