Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I find this to be a bit on the insensitive side.

you have a person, who accepts "A" and does not accept "B." they have some reservation about a loved one, who may leave "A" for "B" and is expressing that reservation. (not condemnation, reservation, there is a difference.)

you come on and say "yipee! you're loved one may leave "A" for "B"! it's great!

that's not the type of edification the OP is looking for, I'd gather.

reverse who is "A" and who is "B" and you may know what I'm getting at.
Right, I was asking if this is (IYO's) an issue.

I haven't been in this thread from the beginning, but how about you get to know her before making any judgments?
The only judgement I'm making is that
Catholics and Protestants seem to
get along like oil and water.
But thank you for your reply.

He probably hasn't accepted the yoke you assume he wears any more than she is committed to real Catholicism.
Most catholics aren't fully committed to all that the magesterium preaches.
The worst thing you can do is smell like fear.:)
Who? ME???
:blush:

Is the girl a nice girl? Is she responsible, kind, conscientious, into making the world a better place?

If so what is the problem? You are creating a problem that does not exist.
We all have our druthers... mine isnt on your list.
And I havent met her yet, but will be inviting
her to dinner soon.
:thumbsup:
As for creating problems, see below...
And......... where you been? Have you
READ the threads here?? ;)
£amb;46075893 said:
For many, it is a problem. I do all the things you've listed above, but my mother-in-law absolutely hates me and makes no excuses for it. She's Catholic and I'm Protestant (as well as my husband). No matter how I try to have a relationship with her, she immediately starts berating me about what church I attend. My husband steps in to defend me and she'll back off for alittle bit. She has started this in front of my kids, and we had to make the hardest decision of our lives recently after visiting them....we can not visit them again. My kids are old enough to see what she is doing and they're afraid of her for their own reasons.

It's heart breaking. All I want is a relationship with her, but she doesn't. Our beliefs have split us and is destroying our relationship between us and them. I do not hate her at all, but can not understand why she cannot see me for what I am....someone who is serving God. :(
Keep praying and loving Lamb.. :hug:
If one of my sons were to marry a catholic
girl I'd treat her like my own. AFAIC, once
they're engaged, Im in....100%
Before that, I'm in... prayer.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2004
Kansas City area
✟23,771.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
He probably hasn't accepted the yoke you assume he wears any more than she is committed to real Catholicism.
Most catholics aren't fully committed to all that the magesterium preaches.
The worst thing you can do is smell like fear.:)

Even though Sunlover or my mother might think differently...

.... at least she isn't a humanist.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I apologize for my assumption way way way way back earlier. The language confused me.

This subject hasn't really left my mind since then.

I'm sorry for upsetting you Rowan.
I just wondered how other's felt in light
of what appears to be outrageous animosity
between the two. And in fact, in my region,
Catholics are treated badly. (NOt by me)
So my concern is that they'd fall for each
other first and think later, if you know what I
mean. This particular son is a Paul type. He
doesnt do anything half hearted.

The only thing I have been able to come up with in dealing with inter-Christian strife is what has helped me personally in my relationships with others, Christian and non-Christian: submitting to Love and letting Him reign.

Vague, I know...but I don't presume to know how God will make this manifest for anyone else. To me it's been more about being slow to speak, quick to listen, and slow to anger.

Praying for all families struggling with this...
It's not vague, it's beautiful.
Christlike even.
:clap:

Just set aside the denominational issue for a moment and really consider the roles of men and women in godly relationships according to Scripture. Now consider the issue of OP in that light.
Yes, harmony would be ideal.
TY Mont.
If my children chose a mate I would not really worry about what religion my future DIL or SIL came from as long as they follow The Golden Rule.
I guess we just have different experiences and desires.
And I'm not having a fit or anything, just was quite
shocked, brought it here for some insight, and in
fact I'm very content right now with how things are
going.
I havent met her yet, dont know anything more about
her but that she's a waitress,,
but I've seen my son memorizing Psalm 139 as well
as other passages, evidently just for his own edification,
(or maybe to share with her ;) ) and so I'm happy
that God's shown me that.
Praise God.
:bow:

Reactions: Rowan
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Even though Sunlover or my mother might think differently...

.... at least she isn't a humanist.
:scratch: :confused:
Hmm.
would it be cool if your wife translated that for me?
:D
(and 'who' isnt a humanist?)

:sorry:

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Humanist = religion of self.

You know those people who say "I'm spiritual but not religious"? Oftentimes (and as always there are exceptions) they are practicing the religion of humanism. It's all about what WE want, rather than what God wants.

So yes, in a way it is correct to say that it's better that she's Catholic than a humanist. Catholics get it right for the most part, at least the important part. Humanists don't.

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0
£

£amb

Keep praying and loving Lamb.. :hug:
If one of my sons were to marry a catholic
girl I'd treat her like my own. AFAIC, once
they're engaged, Im in....100%
Before that, I'm in... prayer.

I'm a tryin'....:)

I have always prayed since my boys have been young that they find a wife that loves God and puts God first in their lives. I think I'm in the same boat as you with how you feel about all this. I honestly wouldn't have a problem with my boys dating/marrying a Catholic woman as long as they have things settled before the marriage part.

Hey, I'm all for their wives keeping them on track...;)

Upvote 0

disasm

Jun 19, 2007
Howard, PA
Visit site
✟16,089.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have two suggestions.

The first one, knowing how awesome you are sunlover, I know you're already doing, but pray. Pray about it, and pray, not my will, but Thy will be done Father.

Second, he is 20. When I was 20, if my mom asked me about my relationships, I don't think I would have taken it very well at all. Just surrender it to God, and trust your son that he can handle the situation he's in. You prepared him his first 20 years of his life, just trust that God will use all that preparation you gave him. I know you care about him very much, and don't ever stop doing that, but it's no longer your place to confront him. You have to let him screw up (I am not implying what he's doing is at all a screwup).

I'll be praying for the both of you as well.

Sam

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me the sinner.

Upvote 0

CathNancy

Jesus I trust in You
Apr 1, 2006
Maryland
✟9,611.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am praying for you Sunlover as well as your son and his girlfriend. I am married to a Catholic which is good in my case because I could not leave the Catholic Church, nor could my husband. I see a problem for both parties involved, you really want to be able to share your faith with your wife or husband. If you can not the marriage can still be a success, but there is a huge part of your life that you do not share with that person and that is very sad. All that I can advise is that you pray and trust in God that His will be done, remembering that His will is always love.

God Bless,
Nancy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sunlover:
"This particular son is a Paul type. He
doesnt do anything half hearted."
Consider knocking him off a horse & blinding him for 3 days.;)

You know those people who say "I'm spiritual but not religious"? Oftentimes (and as always there are exceptions) they are practicing the religion of humanism. It's all about what WE want, rather than what God wants.

So yes, in a way it is correct to say that it's better that she's Catholic than a humanist. Catholics get it right for the most part, at least the important part. Humanists don't.
Yeah, but hey! I say that!
Religion is about props, costumes, & pious drama. Spirituality is about liberating truths.
Humanism is "Man as the measure of all things" Instead of Gos being the measure.:cool:

Upvote 0
C

catlover

Most humanists I met are less prideful than Christians I have met-in a nutshell humanists are not so evil and horrid as most Christians try to make them out to be.

Upvote 0
C

catlover

humanism is an ideology (with origins in the enlightenment) and includes ethical philosophy which locates the human as the central purpose/goal (as opposed to God)
in this sense, it is related to eudaemonism (ethical philosophy which treats personal well being and self-fulfillment as its goal)

(hi, Sunlover :wave:)

A humanist would not tell another person they are going to hell for A,B,or C, it takes an awful lot of pride to send someone to hell or claim to know what God Himself will do to someone.
Humanism: "(5) Humanists acknowledge human interdependence, the need for mutual respect and the kinship of all humanity."
"(11) Humanists affirm that individual and social problems can only be resolved by means of human reason, intelligent effort, critical thinking joined with compassion and a spirit of empathy for all living beings. " 4
"Don't do things you wouldn't want to have done to you, British Humanist Society. 3

The highlisted red does not seem to be such a selfish self centered concept, mutual respect for all...

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I know some humanists who are very kind and loving, but they don't believe in God. I believe, that through what the bible says, it's not prideful for me to say that because of their unbelief they are not going to heaven. And if they're not going to heaven, then there's really no other place for them go besides hell.

However, this could totally derail this thread and I don't wish to do that. I don't generally attempt to argue the existence of hell or whether I have the ability to say that someone is going there based on what they believe.

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
T

Thekla

A humanist would not tell another person they are going to hell for A,B,or C, it takes an awful lot of pride to send someone to hell or claim to know what God Himself will do to someone.
Humanism: "(5) Humanists acknowledge human interdependence, the need for mutual respect and the kinship of all humanity."
"(11) Humanists affirm that individual and social problems can only be resolved by means of human reason, intelligent effort, critical thinking joined with compassion and a spirit of empathy for all living beings. " 4
"Don't do things you wouldn't want to have done to you, British Humanist Society. 3

The highlisted red does not seem to be such a selfish self centered concept, mutual respect for all...
the difference is whether respect for others is posited on the human creature as central or Christ as central

(imo, telling someone els ewhether they are going to heaven or hell is a sort of "humanism", as it is tyranical, ie a human usurps Christ as our sole judge)

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, I had to ask him what he meant. :blush: And I still don't get it. :D All I know is he thinks being a humanist is worse than being Catholic. ^_^

Hope that helps, lol!
LOL.
Thanks Christina.
He's probably much easier to understand in person.
I do that too, put down my thoughts, without
totally clarifying them. I even jump around as my mind
does, like a toddler. Sheesh.
Like everyone is a mind reader.
:help:

£amb;46096170 said:
I'm a tryin'....:)

I have always prayed since my boys have been young that they find a wife that loves God and puts God first in their lives. I think I'm in the same boat as you with how you feel about all this. I honestly wouldn't have a problem with my boys dating/marrying a Catholic woman as long as they have things settled before the marriage part.

Hey, I'm all for their wives keeping them on track...;)
Amen! This son, as goal oriented as he is, and he's a mover
and a shaker, will listen to his wife when he gets married.
BTW, I was Catholic when his dad married me.
So he comes by it naturally.
;)

I have two suggestions.

The first one, knowing how awesome you are sunlover, I know you're already doing, but pray. Pray about it, and pray, not my will, but Thy will be done Father.
Wow Sam, that's ... thank you for that sentiment. (Glad you
cant see IN my heart though, whew, that can get ugly)
I agree, and that's how I pray too, UNLESS God's given me a word
and I know exactly what to pray.
IN this case, I'm praying HIS Will be done.. period. :thumbsup:

Second, he is 20. When I was 20, if my mom asked me about my relationships, I don't think I would have taken it very well at all. Just surrender it to God, and trust your son that he can handle the situation he's in. You prepared him his first 20 years of his life, just trust that God will use all that preparation you gave him. I know you care about him very much, and don't ever stop doing that, but it's no longer your place to confront him. You have to let him screw up (I am not implying what he's doing is at all a screwup).

I'll be praying for the both of you as well.

Sam
Thank you Sam, and there's nothing better than to know others
are praying for you, is there? Yeah, I havent bugged him about it,
The boys have been raised to make their own decisions, and after
about age 15ish I adopt a Laissez-faire attitude, to a degree.
Not that I stop communicating, but I loosen the reins. Time to
grow up right? Shoot, Mary was pregnant with Jesus at what?
Fourteen, fifteen it's said?
So I hear ya. :thumbsup: Thank you for your prayer and love. :hug:

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by catlover
Nah. I leave that to the Muslims :D

Did ya ever notice Saul/Paul never mentioned the "Hell" Jesus spoke of in the Gospels?

http://christianforums.com/t4410009-can-muhammad-and-paul-be-buddies.html&page=4&highlight=paul
Can Muhammad and Paul be buddies

http://www.shaka.com/~jai/satyamevajayate/hell.html

I n this article I shall describe the Islamic Hell or Jahannum which was an imagination of Prophet Mohammed used primarily for two reasons:
  1. To have a torture chamber for all the [wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth]s (unbelievers and people of other religions)
  2. To terrorize people into accepting Islam.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Consider knocking him off a horse & blinding him for 3 days.;)
Lemme gather my forces...
He's got two blackbelts. :help:

Yeah, but hey! I say that!
Religion is about props, costumes, & pious drama. Spirituality is about liberating truths.
I say that too Rick.
I think it's another case of ambiguity
concerning jargon... perhaps, because
I'm in agreement with PW's reasoning.

Most humanists I met are less prideful than Christians I have met-in a nutshell humanists are not so evil and horrid as most Christians try to make them out to be.
I wouldnt be a bit surpised to find that, but I dont
understand your point. Would you rather marry
a humanist who 'APPEARS to have less pride (because
you see, a secular humanist, who doesnt have GOD
inside, has ... what inside? Pride.
Or would you rather marry someone who has the
same spirit, and you can be one in that sense?

I've done both. I married a christian, then
backslidden remarried a non Christian, who
didnt mind the Christianity part of me , long
as I didnt try to push it onto him.

Mixed marriages are painful at best.

:wave:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.