Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't think I'd ever noticed this before. Outside during the eclipse awhile ago, we noticed the light streaming through the leaves of the trees formed half-circle crescent like shapes on the pavement. As the eclipse progressed, the light made more elongated horseshoe shapes.

I also noticed my shadow got very blurry on the edges. What's weird is near the beginning of the eclipse, as I stood with my back to the sun, the right side of my shadow was well-defined like normal, but the left side of my shadow was blurry.

I think I found one article about this but the page wouldn't load for some reason. Anyone know what was going on?

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don't think I'd ever noticed this before. Outside during the eclipse awhile ago, we noticed the light streaming through the leaves of the trees formed half-circle crescent like shapes on the pavement. As the eclipse progressed, the light made more elongated horseshoe shapes.

I also noticed my shadow got very blurry on the edges. What's weird is near the beginning of the eclipse, as I stood with my back to the sun, the right side of my shadow was well-defined like normal, but the left side of my shadow was blurry.

I think I found one article about this but the page wouldn't load for some reason. Anyone know what was going on?
The leaves are forming a natural camera obscura. Do a search for "eclipse camera obscura" and you'll get a number of pages that explain the effect.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Hmm, I searched that and I didn't get anything mentioning shadows, just instructions on how to make the camera. ?
Sorry, on my phone I searched for "eclipse leaves camera obscura". Leaves will make the difference.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, on my phone I searched for "eclipse leaves camera obscura". Leaves will make the difference.
Thanks, I found info. Found a pic, too. Seems odd to me that all the crescents are pretty much the same size.

1697322672910.png

I've seen lots of eclipses, funny how I never noticed this before. Still wondering about the half-blurry shadow of my body, though.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Thanks, I found info. Found a pic, too. Seems odd to me that all the crescents are pretty much the same size.

View attachment 337679

I've seen lots of eclipses, funny how I never noticed this before.
I think I first head about the effect back during one in the early 90s.
Still wondering about the half-blurry shadow of my body, though.
That I don't know. Maybe a glitch in the matrix.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

The light coming through the leaves was forming those shapes because the small gaps between the leaves was acting as a pinhole camera.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The size of the projected image is a function of the focal length, or the distance between the aperture and the surface onto which the image is projected. The spaces between the leaves are all roughly the same distance from the garage in your picture, so they all produce roughly the same size image.

• Informative
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

View attachment 337679

I've seen lots of eclipses, funny how I never noticed this before. Still wondering about the half-blurry shadow of my body, though.
This happened in 2017 as well. Basically anytime you've got the eclipse shining through a hole, you'll see that.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The size of the projected image is a function of the focal length, or the distance between the aperture and the surface onto which the image is projected. The spaces between the leaves are all roughly the same distance from the garage in your picture, so they all produce roughly the same size image.
Hey iluv, long time no see. While the spaces between the leaves are all roughly the same distance from the garage, wouldn't it matter that the spaces between the leaves will be different sizes?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
While the spaces between the leaves are all roughly the same distance from the garage, wouldn't it matter that the spaces between the leaves will be different sizes?
It matters, but differently. Aperture size affects the brightness and sharpness of the image. If it's too big, it'll just be a blurry smudge. If it's too small, it'll be too dim to see.

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It matters, but differently. Aperture size affects the brightness and sharpness of the image. If it's too big, it'll just be a blurry smudge. If it's too small, it'll be too dim to see.
That makes sense.

Upvote 0