Groceries going up

blanning

Sep 20, 2010
✟7,635.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
We've been expecting a significant increase in grocery prices and it looks like it's here. My wife was just at the grocery and noted numerous serious price increases. As an anecdote, she sent me a picture of a package of sliced deli ham. This was (last week) priced at $3.99 and had been for a while. She would only get it on sale at 2 for $5. The price today: $7.29.

They have an interesting behavior with price increases. The old regular price becomes the new sale price. And the new regular price is much higher. So everything goes "on sale", but really the prices didn't drop. Then after a week of being "on sale", the new higher prices kick in.

brian

B

Benevolous

We've been expecting a significant increase in grocery prices and it looks like it's here. My wife was just at the grocery and noted numerous serious price increases. As an anecdote, she sent me a picture of a package of sliced deli ham. This was (last week) priced at $3.99 and had been for a while. She would only get it on sale at 2 for $5. The price today: $7.29.

They have an interesting behavior with price increases. The old regular price becomes the new sale price. And the new regular price is much higher. So everything goes "on sale", but really the prices didn't drop. Then after a week of being "on sale", the new higher prices kick in.

brian

Might be a good idea to do what we do: buy a deli slicer and slice it yourself. You'll save a ton and the ham is better.

Upvote 0

blanning

Sep 20, 2010
✟7,635.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
This isn't so much about sliced deli ham. That was just an example that stuck out. There were a lot of other things that had price increases. I think everything is about to go through the roof... mainly things made from grains or made from things that eat grains.

We have a deli slicer by the way, got it from grandma, but haven't used it yet.

brian

Upvote 0
B

Benevolous

Well, despite the name, I wouldn't know. I eat paleo/low carb. :D

I can't tell you the last time I bought milk or butter from a grocery store.

We buy some cheese from a place up in Philly when we go there, but mostly, we buy our milk from an Amish family we're friends with. Sarah, the wife and mother of that family makes awesome butter. Amish women churning butter is not just a stereotype, by the way. They really do that and it's so much better than store bought that I doubt most people would even know it was butter.

We make our own ice cream.

Used to have our own dairy cow and we may get another one, but right now, it's just not worth it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Milk is only $2.49/gallon where I buy it.

Same here, I can usually find milk from between $2.50-$3.00 depending on where I shop.

I have seen some price increases in some stores on some items, but drop in prices on some items in others stores. I get the Sunday paper so I clip coupons and check out the sales at local grocery stores. Most of the stores are within a 5 mile radius so I can hit the sales at each store if I need too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
B

Benevolous

Its scary it makes you want to have your own farm so you wont have to depend on grocery stores

We do own our farm, but you're still dependant somewhat on grocery stores for things like dry goods and topical fruits that don't grow here and some hygene products and things like that.

We have a couple of mom and pop grocery stores and two AWESOME Amish stores (just in one this morning, as a matter of fact) and we barter a lot with them by giving them fresh vegetables and and hogs for things we can't get here or things we can't supply for ourselves.

I also have a brother who is an over the road truck driver and he's always bringing us lemons and oranges and pineapples.

So we're able to grow/raise/catch/kill about 85% of our food, but you're never truly independent. I mean, yes, we could live strictly on what we provide ourselves and live pretty well, but we would have to give up some things that make our lives convenient and more pleasant.

Now that having been said, even if you don't own a farm, most people have a yard big enough for a nice sized garden that can offset a major part of their dependence on grocery stores. It really is a lot easier than you think it is.

Upvote 0