Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm a home bible study teacher. I love teaching, and I love that having to do a lesson every week keeps me accountable to stay in the word and "study to show myself approved."

I have a fairly exhaustive library of reference books & commentaries that I've accumulated over the years. Also I have a long commute, an hour plus to and from work each day. I redeem that time by listening to bible studies on my MP3 player.

I can honestly say that listening to bible studies for two hours plus five days a week for the last several years has been responsible for some tremendous personal spiritual growth, and it's something that I can honestly take no credit for. It wasn't even my idea, it was recommended to my by a fellow bible teacher.

Anyway, I have a few extra dollars and I'd like to "invest it in myself" in a way that God can use for his glory. Here are the ideas I've come up with so far:

1) The Moody Handbook of Theology. I've wanted a copy of this since I first saw it on a bible book store shelf 20 some years ago. I've just never gotten around to buying it. Something else has always come up.

2) Chuck Smith's commentary on the book of Romans. 90 bible studies on MP3 going through the Book of Romans verse by verse. I actually would prefer the series by Donald Grey Barnhouse, but that's $450.

3) Some other bible study on MP3.

4) Some other book.

Any thoughts?

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I would be helping people in need, the people who attend the bible study, who are in need of sound teaching.

I mean, and I'm sorry if this sounds blunt, but more pressings issues like people going without food or water or basic medical provisions.

If you have some spare money and want to do some good, donate it to charity :) It'll do a lot more than a book to enrich already privileged lives.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a home bible study teacher. I love teaching, and I love that having to do a lesson every week keeps me accountable to stay in the word and "study to show myself approved."

I have a fairly exhaustive library of reference books & commentaries that I've accumulated over the years. Also I have a long commute, an hour plus to and from work each day. I redeem that time by listening to bible studies on my MP3 player.

I can honestly say that listening to bible studies for two hours plus five days a week for the last several years has been responsible for some tremendous personal spiritual growth, and it's something that I can honestly take no credit for. It wasn't even my idea, it was recommended to my by a fellow bible teacher.

Anyway, I have a few extra dollars and I'd like to "invest it in myself" in a way that God can use for his glory. Here are the ideas I've come up with so far:

1) The Moody Handbook of Theology. I've wanted a copy of this since I first saw it on a bible book store shelf 20 some years ago. I've just never gotten around to buying it. Something else has always come up.

2) Chuck Smith's commentary on the book of Romans. 90 bible studies on MP3 going through the Book of Romans verse by verse. I actually would prefer the series by Donald Grey Barnhouse, but that's $450.

3) Some other bible study on MP3.

4) Some other book.

Any thoughts?
Do you have "Little Kittle"? (It's a one-volume work of the "Theological Dictionary of the New Testament".) Back when I was heavy into teaching, I found this book almost invaluable -- and it's not all that expensive for what you get. I would also make sure I have Interlinears and an *Analytical* Lexicon of New Testament words. There are also some decent books out on apologetics, if that's your thing. With the right reference books, commentaries aren't all that important (imo).

Upvote 0

phydaux

Oct 22, 2014
Hudson, NH
✟14,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I mean, and I'm sorry if this sounds blunt, but more pressings issues like people going without food or water or basic medical provisions.

If you have some spare money and want to do some good, donate it to charity :) It'll do a lot more than a book to enrich already privileged lives.

You are obviously far more sanctified than I. Please pray for me that I learn from your example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

phydaux

Oct 22, 2014
Hudson, NH
✟14,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you have "Little Kittle"? (It's a one-volume work of the "Theological Dictionary of the New Testament".) Back when I was heavy into teaching, I found this book almost invaluable -- and it's not all that expensive for what you get. I would also make sure I have Interlinears and an *Analytical* Lexicon of New Testament words. There are also some decent books out on apologetics, if that's your thing. With the right reference books, commentaries aren't all that important (imo).

I've recently had the Theological Dictionaries of the New & Old Testament, 10 volumes and 4 volumes respectively, recommended to me. While I do have an undeservedly high opinion of myself, even I will admit that that's over my head. lol.

I'll probably go with The Moody Handbook of Theology. It gives a good overview of the various perspectives, Reformed, Dispensational, Millennial, Amillennial, without anointing any one as "right."

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've recently had the Theological Dictionaries of the New & Old Testament, 10 volumes and 4 volumes respectively, recommended to me. While I do have an undeservedly high opinion of myself, even I will admit that that's over my head. lol.

I'll probably go with The Moody Handbook of Theology. It gives a good overview of the various perspectives, Reformed, Dispensational, Millennial, Amillennial, without anointing any one as "right."
Of course the TDNT and TDOT in all their glory is over almost everyone's head. That's why I recommend the one-volume Little Kittle. It removes all the non-Bliblical sections of the big boys and you're just left with the distilled stuff directly related to the Word. At least have a look. (But I agree you won't go wrong with the Moody Handbook.)

Upvote 0