1. New: Christian Forums Staff Recruit Video.- It's that time of year again. We are having our annual Staff Recruit Drive. Simply ask any staffer to help you apply and enjoy the video...
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Please help us test our new CF PrayPal app available right now in the Google Play store for Android devices. The iPhone app should be available within the next few days. If you would be so kind to also add a review for it that would be great! Thanks!

Just Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Contemporary Christian Fiction

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by crazylikeafox, Nov 4, 2010.

1. crazylikeafox

crazylikeafox Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    I have a difficult time relating to the traditional "Christian" book, it seems. I've recently returned to the Christian faith (I'm 23), and am looking for books that are Christian, but deal with the issues I deal with. I'm looking for Christian general fiction (aka not supernatural thrillers, or romance, or historical) that doesn't sugarcoat, but deals with real life issues. The only thing I've found that was even close was Anne Lamott's writing (even though I disagree with her theologically & even morally, I can appreciate her writing and her Christianity).

Any ideas? I'm also worried that maybe I haven't given those "traditional" Christian writers (think Francine Rivers, Melody Carlson, Ted Dekker, Frank Perretti, etc.) a fair shake, so if you have suggestions that seem to fit what I'm looking for from them, don't be afraid to suggest. It's just they seem to have written so many books, it's hard to find one that fits me!

2. liesje

liesje Singing in the rain

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    I'm afraid I don't read much Christian fiction that isn't romance or historical! I'd recommend Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers...though it's historical, it's one of the better ones out there. I find a lot of the contemporary (and even historical) Christian ficiton lacks depth.

What exactly do you mean by 'general' and 'traditional' when talking about Christian fiction?

3. Gummug

Gummug Newbie

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Presbyterian
    I personally have been reading a lot of Ted Dekker, so you might want to give him a chance as you say, but I suppose taste in literature is as personal as taste in humor...

4. Annessa3

Annessa3 Faith

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    I juust finished a series you might like: Karen Hancock's Eidon series
    I can't post links, so Google it :)

I loved it. (I read SF, fantasy, history, cereal boxes, etc)

5. ljm

ljm Newbie

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    I would recommend my novel The Last Soul. It is the first book in a trilogy I'm writing and I am trying to spread the word out that I've arrived! :) I grew up reading Tolkien, Terry Brooks, etc, so a lot of this storyline, and the ones I'm working on, will be very fast paced, spiritual, action-laced, with even a sprinkle of romance thrown in. I've tried not to sugar coat anything in this book, believe me. Please take a moment and browse my website thelastsoulbook.com. (I can't post links yet) If you want anymore info, please don't hesitate to contact me.

-ljm

6. crazylikeafox

crazylikeafox Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Well, sometimes Christian fiction only seems comfortable tackling certain subjects, and always seem to come together like a puzzle where everybody is happy fitting into their perfect place, and heartbreak and grief, but we love Jesus and so everything is hunk-dory! :) I want angst! I want struggle! I want nitty-gritty realism and somebody who is not afraid to admit that their character might sin in a dark and human way beyond gossip and jealously or yearning after that delicious hardworking godfearing man! :p I have read Redeeming Love, and it just didn't click so much for me for some reason. :/ It wasn't bad, I enjoyed it but -- historical fiction just isn't my thing.

I will try to check out those suggestions, though! Thanks guys!

7. liesje

liesje Singing in the rain

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    Right. Being a history major, I don't enjoy contemporary fiction! Iif you didn't like Redeeming Love then there isn't much Christian ficiton you will like. It's mostly geared toward clean, happy-ending, characters with no faults more than biting their fingernails market. And the yearning after that delicious hardworking godfearing man....is usually written in a very tacky way! :p

8. keith99

keith99 Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Atheist
    On one point I thnk the Harry Dresden series by Butcher is giving what you are looking for.

I am NOT reccomending it for you. It is not primarily Christian. It is traditional fairie in an urban setting. But when a Christian character does finally occur things are not all sweetness and light. He has family problems, he has feet of clay in his own way. Oh and because it is not primarily Christian it mean the Christian character has to deal with other decent people who are very much not Christian.

Again I am not reccomending it, it is a long series and the Cristian Character does not chso up until several books in. I mainly pointing things out that I think mayhelp clarify some of the things you are looking for.

9. crazylikeafox

crazylikeafox Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Thanks. I guess it's just frustrating as somebody who didn't necessarily come from a Christian lifestyle to read these books that really don't feel like much that I've experienced.

I don't really enjoy romance as a genre (don't mind it as an element of the plot) or historical fiction, and I really feel like those are almost the only options. I can go for supernatural/mystery/fantasy occasionally. I do like memoirs. I guess currently I'm just in the mood for something I can relate to. :/ Thanks for the suggestions though!

10. ebbie95

ebbie95 Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Other-Religion
    Gatekeepers by Kobina Fynn is not just fiction. It's an exploration about the Second Coming. Very controversial at times, but leaves you with much food for thought. You may take a look.

11. Gummug

Gummug Newbie

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Presbyterian
    ^_^

12. Dharma Wheel

Dharma Wheel Wandering Hermit

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    Faith:
    Buddhist
    Try 'Deep River' or anyother work by Endo Shusaku. He is a brilliant and relevant writer, enjoyed by Christians and non-Christians alike (odd as he uses Christian imagery a lot).

13. kittycat7

kittycat7 Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    I kind of agree with your frustrations about Christian books, although I used to be a fan of Karen Kingsbury. That changed when I read Waiting for Morning, which I ... really disliked. I can enjoy books that represent views I disagree with, but the idea that drunk driving should be punished the same way as first-degree murder... The worst part of that book, though, was the heroine. She was worse than Bella Swan.

You might enjoy The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene. C.S. Lewis is awesome too. ;)

BTW here's an interesting article on Christian fiction. The Book of Morden - Essays - Sex, Death and Christian Fiction

14. Daisy215

Daisy215 Newbie

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    The Shack by WG Young doesn't sugar coat. Hopefully the situation hasn't happened to you. It's a modern day novel that is all about a man challenging how there can be a God in such a cruel world.

15. TishinSoCal

TishinSoCal Newbie

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Anglican
    Crazy, I'm reading a Christian book that is very good. It's The Lights on Tenth Street by Shaunti Feldhahn. I bought it just a couple of days ago and it is keeping me enthralled. Not sugar coated, not historical. You can look it up on Amazon.

16. tinbike

tinbike Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Hi,

I am tinbike, and I have written a book, but more importantly, I am thrilled that you have returned to the faith! Wow, that is a real issue. My adult children have wandered from the faith, and my daily prayers for them are their return to the Lord so they can be greatly used of God. God is using me in their lives, but He is requiring me to be patient. I work in a prison among murders, theives, and sexual offenders, and it is a very real environment. However, as a Christian, when I deal with them, the rules are the same as when I deal with my sweet neices who have no firsthand knowledge of this kind of world. I love these prisoners the same as Jesus loved and forgave me, a sinner who didn't overtly commit some of these acts, but was so angry a few times that I hated my brother and my neighbor! But you know, the grace of God healed my heart. My life with my sweet wife and family is just as real as the dark life of the prison. My heart response is what matters when I am annoyed with family misunderstanding or annoyance or the rantings of some dark criminal offender. The love of God working in my heart brings the healing to them, and to me. Really, without Jesus Christ I would never have survived this life, but He has "planned all my days". ( From Psalms 139 - One can't read this psalm regularly and not be changed. It is one of my favorites.) I mentioned I have written a book, a novel named Heart Healer, Heart Stealer, and it is a reflection of the emotional healing of my heart. It is an ebook which I placed it on Amazon because I felt the Lord gave it me because it could help others, in an unconventional way, with the healing of their heart. Again, welcome back into the family. You will be greatly used of God, for He has "planned all of your days". Beware of my book, it is a Christian romance. :)

tinbike

17. Suttonsue

Suttonsue Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    How do folks feel about the Left Behind series by Tim LaHaye. I'm absolutely enthralled by them.

18. LenaGlow

LenaGlow Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Pentecostal
    You might like 'Devine revelation of hell' by Mary K Baxter.

19. Live In Stereo

Live In Stereo Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Baptist
    You might like Travis Thrasher. His books are strong meat. I do not know if it is the kind of books you are actually looking for, but maybe they would work.

20. minac

minac Newbie

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    It just came out two weeks ago and I just COULDN'T put it down.

It's not a Christian book per say - it's beautifully written literary fiction. However, there are many spiritual threads woven throughout the book and the main characters are young and struggle to maintain their faith throughout the obstacles they face.

I have never read a book set in the backdrop of war and thought it wouldn't be for me, but it's so compelling and the author relays the story in an atypical delivery.

I've only seen it available on Amazon.

Hope this helps!