• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Going to hell

smith1

Nov 19, 2011
✟15,160.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Beware of Nostradamus and the Mayans. They were into the occult. Not the kind of thing Christians need to listen to at all. But no, you're not going to hell for being simply afraid. Do you go to a very legalistic church that tends to find lots of reasons for condemning people to Hell? It seems someone is feeding your OCD with unreasonable, excess fear.

Upvote 0

dabro

A child of the living God.
Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Naturally your OCD has latched onto a most commen theme. But coming here for assurence doesn't help you. You have to try meds. Give theme a chance. Please I see you suffer so much and I know how painful OCD can be I'll be praying for you!

Upvote 0

gracealone

Apr 5, 2007
Michigan
✟18,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Raven,
It's me "the jerk"! ;)
This is how I'd apply ERP to this obsession if it were mine. You won't like it. Nothing about ERP is easy. It's tough but it is what works.
"Well looks as if I'm really doomed for being afraid that the world will end in 2012. Only a person who is an unbeliever would trust in what Nostradamus says over the Word of God. If I were a real Christian I wouldn't be scared about this. Well I can't get rid of this scared feeling and I can't stop thinking about it so I suppose there's nothing much left to do other than just ignore this whole mess in my brain. If God is still willing to save me than so be it - if not well then that's His choice. Meanwhile I'll do my best to walk in His paths anyhow because in the end, I really don't see any other hope for me other than to just cast myself on His mercy.... doubts, fears and all"."
Then you need to just get on with your day and not expend any more mental efforts on it. Do those things which need doing. Do those things you would normally enjoy. Talk to a friend, go to a movie, work on a craft project, play with your little girl. Anything to distract you from the compulsive rumination.
Oh... it's going to try and shove in, but when it does try to mentally file it away and put off thinking about it for as long as possible.
Anyhow that's how I handle my obsessional themes. First I exaggerate them, in a kind of "Bring it on, do your worst, I can handle whatever you dish out!" way. Then I distract myself and do my level best not to ruminate about them. Practice makes perfect.
This is what has helped me. That's the only reason I share it. If sharing it helps anyone else than I thank God for that. I'm not an authority, just a fellow sufferer.
Love you,
Mitzi

Am I going for fearing 2012. I am freaking out about it because Nostradamus predicted it and the mayans. I know what it says in the bible about God saying no one will know but I am still scared.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Breathe.
Actually, there are some 12 cultures that have something to say about 2012 being a time of change.

God is sovereign, He is in control. Try and see how marvelous God is in telling us these times would come and what else did He say? I tell you these so you "fear not" and comfort one another with the words.

It's good that you recognize this is stemming from your OCD. Continue to work on knowing that this fear is not only irrational, but isn't what God wants for you.

God is in control. There isn't anything that God doesn't know, nor that He hasn't planned for... fear not hon.

Yes, for someone that has no clue about God's working the world today, it can be very concerning...but you know God..and he's taken care of you so far, getting you to this day even, right? He will take us all the rest of the way.

Breathe. Tell yourself truth: God is in control, I need not be worried.
icon12.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

raven1

Jun 6, 2011
Richmond, Va.
✟2,403.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am not tricked by ocd into thinking god doesn't exist but deep down I believe. I really do not know if he exists. Time is of the essence! How is he going to say come on into heaven when I can't even trust it is there. I am always drawn to read athiestic articles. How can I even expect him to let my in if it exists and if it doesn't that is awful too. Yay hell or nothingness!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

canamer

Feb 26, 2011
United States
✟7,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are going to be awfully surprised (and should I say relieved too) when you die and realize you're in Heaven. If you've believed in Jesus' sacrifice for you nothing can change that. Not even your OCD thoughts about it.

As a Christian, obsessing over yourself going to Hell can't make it any more so then me obsessing over the fact I've hit somebody with my car means I've hit them with my car (when I clearly haven't). Facts are facts. Thoughts can't trump facts unless you've found some superhuman way to think something and make it so just by thinking it.

It's all the OCD game. You're just obsessing over something different then the next guy who has OCD. I know you might say well you can't compare me going to Hell with you hitting somebody with your car. You know, the stakes are a bit higher for you, you would say.

To that I would say that one of my biggest fears is that I'll end up completely destroying my life. Maybe starting with me hitting somebody with my car. That's pretty scary. That would be Hell on Earth for me would it not?

So, I can either sit here and worry myself sick over that possibility (and admittedly some days I do that!) or I can choose to give my fear to God and say I'm going to trust you with this, God.

That's the ONLY way to conquer any fear here. Otherwise it's just a deep vortex that you keep getting sucked deeper into, working yourself up even more in the process. You cannot rationalize and win with your OCD. I will bet money on that. You won't find your answer in an apologetics textbook. You won't find peace in debating whether or not you're saved every day. Your OCD won't allow you peace like that.

Medication may help calm you a bit - and those on medication should definitely keep taking that medication - but what I am saying is that at a certain point you're just going to have to give this to God and say I trust you with my future and my Eternity. I'm going to stop fighting and debating and just choose to trust in God.

You know, worrying about what happens after death isn't something that exclusively bothers Christians with OCD. It affects many non-OCD Christians on a regular basis too. We're so instinctively driven as humans to trust in our performance and once life beats us down a time or two and we fail it's easy to think that even as Christians we don't have a prayer when we stand before God. Obviously, OCD makes those thoughts even worse. The reality is though that we're all in the same boat here. And there comes a time where all of us must put our fate in the hands of God and trust him for our salvation.

What I am saying I'm not just saying to you but I'm also exhorting myself here too. We must keep on keeping on and keep believing. I don't know of any other option?

Upvote 0

canamer

Feb 26, 2011
United States
✟7,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't follow. It doesn't really matter what you believe on that.

If enough people choose to believe there is no God do you think it will all of the sudden make God disappear and make it like he never existed?

My point is this: Facts are facts. Thoughts come and go and thoughts are largely meaningless. Especially OCD thoughts.

What you believe on once saved always saved doesn't make it true or not true just because of what you believe on the matter.

How is that God was able to save the criminal on the cross beside him as the criminal took his last breath or two but you don't think God can save you? God knows your heart. He isn't confused by your OCD. God is the best mental expert in the whole Universe.

If you have at one point believed in Jesus as your Savior then you are saved. Your OCD hasn't changed your status on that even though you 'feel' that it may very well have. God is bigger than OCD and understands everything. Some day (and I truly believe this) you will realize this and then you will know that your OCD fear was only confusing you and that it didn't make any difference as far as your acceptance in the eyes of God. Until that day comes I will keep praying for you. Hang in there!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums