Austin
✟26,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm still relatively new here so if this belongs in another forum please move it.

Has anyone ever considered the platypus? I think God thought it would be highly amusing to create something completely absurd just to give us a giggle.

And there's an added benefit. It gives us the benefit to ask the ardent evolutionist what exactly is THIS evolving into? A duck? A beaver? What? And what exactly did it evolve FROM?

Imagine the lonely male platypus mucking along one day and running into his first female platypus - "Thank GOD! Someone who can love me just the way I am!"

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟675,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Imagine the lonely male platypus mucking along one day and running into his first female platypus - "Thank GOD! Someone who can love me just the way I am!"
It's not just the platypus that feels this way! :)

• Haha
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟675,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually they're pretty cute.

1706412984639.png

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I'm still relatively new here so if this belongs in another forum please move it.
There are two, more appropriate Forums - both cover Creation/Evolution. One is Christians Only. The other allows non-Christian access.
Has anyone ever considered the platypus? I think God thought it would be highly amusing to create something completely absurd just to give us a giggle.
Why does everyone pick on the platypus? It's no more absurd than a giraffe or a rhino or a seahorse or an octopus. Did you know that whales and hippopotamuses are closely related? How absurd is that?
And there's an added benefit. It gives us the benefit to ask the ardent evolutionist what exactly is THIS evolving into? A duck? A beaver? What? And what exactly did it evolve FROM?
The platypus is a egg laying mammal: i.e., it suckles its young. Since you are also a mammal, you and the platypus evolved from a common ancestor - a vaguely rodent like animal which lived several million years ago.

The platypus 'duck' bill, used for foraging underwater, is a case of convergent evolution where two relatively unrelated animals independently evolve a similar characteristic. This also happened with wings in bats and birds and eyes in humans and octopuses (and flies). The egg laying habit is a leftover from a pre-mammalian ancestor.

You asked what platypus are evolving into. If you understood evolution you'd realise that this is not predictable although there is one distinct possibility- extinction. Platypuses are a highly threatened species. In 75 years living in rural Australia I've only ever seen a platypus in the wild once.

\\The platypus: evolutionary history, biology, and an uncertain future

Judging from the tone and content of your post you're a Creationist who is not very familiar with evolution.

Stick around. Evolution is a fascinating topic - you may learn something.

OB

Last edited:
Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,096.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

And they taste like chicken.

Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,833.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

The evolution of the platypus is pretty well understood by scientists.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,335.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
There are two, more appropriate Forums - both cover Creation/Evolution. One is Christians Only. The other allows non-Christian access.

Why does everyone pick on the platypus? It's no more absurd than a giraffe or a rhino or a seahorse or an octopus. Did you know that whales and hippopotamuses are closely related? How absurd is that?

The platypus is a egg laying mammal: i.e., it suckles its young. Since you are also a mammal, you and the platypus evolved from a common ancestor - a vaguely rodent like animal which lived several million years ago.

The platypus 'duck' bill, used for foraging underwater, is a case of convergent evolution where two relatively unrelated animals independently evolve a similar characteristic. This also happened with wings in bats and birds and eyes in humans and octopuses (and flies). The egg laying habit is a leftover from a pre-mammalian ancestor.

You asked what platypus are evolving into. If you understood evolution you'd realise that this is not predictable although there is one distinct possibility- extinction. Platypuses are a highly threatened species. In 75 years living in rural Australia I've only ever seen a platypus in the wild once.

\\The platypus: evolutionary history, biology, and an uncertain future

Judging from the tone and content of your post you're a Creationist who is not very familiar with evolution.

Stick around. Evolution is a fascinating topic - you may learn something.

OB
Reality is generally more interesting than
childish imaginings

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,213.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
All species are transitional unless they're about to go extinct.

Evolution is an ongoing process.

OB
Can you give an example of a transitional species that is about to go extinct?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟23,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Since you are also a mammal, you and the platypus evolved from a common ancestor - a vaguely rodent like animal which lived several million years ago.

This is absurd. A vaguely rodent like animal which lived several million years ago. Pure speculation. Absolutely no proof, no facts, no transitional forms. Pure fabricated theory designed by those who wish to perpetuate a fraudulent lie in order to bypass the Creator God who made both man and the Platypus after their kind.

Even Darwin wrote : "Organs of extreme perfection and complication.—To suppose that the eye, with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest possible degree."

"Have we any right to assume that the Creator works by intellectual powers like those of man?"

"The electric organs of fishes offer another case of special difficulty; it is impossible to conceive by what steps these wondrous organs have been produced;..."
- chapter 6, On the Origin of Species

Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,833.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
This is absurd. A vaguely rodent like animal which lived several million years ago. Pure speculation. Absolutely no proof, no facts, no transitional forms. Pure fabricated theory designed by those who wish to perpetuate a fraudulent lie in order to bypass the Creator God who made both man and the Platypus after their kind.

Even Darwin wrote : "Organs of extreme perfection and complication.—To suppose that the eye, with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest possible degree."

"Have we any right to assume that the Creator works by intellectual powers like those of man?"

"The electric organs of fishes offer another case of special difficulty; it is impossible to conceive by what steps these wondrous organs have been produced;..."
- chapter 6, On the Origin of Species
This kind of thread really belongs in the crevo-forum so I don't have to look at it...

• Agree
Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0