Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This seems worth considering. If one desires to know more of this subject about non-denominations, one can PM me for some discussion on what I have learned of it. - 1watchman

Starting A Church?
Thoughts By R. L. DeWitt
One reportedly raised a question among some Christians as to what one would do differently if they were going to start a church, and improve on the many churches around us. The thoughts herein should thus be considered for unity as given in the Bible.

As to the question about starting a church, I think one needs to first know what the Church is, and it is not like what we are seeing in christendom in the world today. One cannot "start a church", for the Church as shown in the Bible is the spiritual "body of Christ" (and there is only one, as God shows) containing every true believer in Christ ---not an organization as designed by men. People might start a religious gathering to suit themselves, but that is not the Church God has set forth ---"the Bride of Christ". Any local Christian assembly ought to be only the local expression of the universal Church in unity everywhere. This means to follow the Bible-only for the order and function of God's testimony.

If one deviates from God's order they are opposing God's mind, and asserting themselves to do something that will only further divide and scatter the saints of God in the world, and dishonor the Lord. That is a very serious matter, and should be a word of caution. One should find that which God shows as already existing in full accord with God's Word, and pray earnestly to God to teach one and not let one go astray. Does one want to know what God intended in unity for His Church in the world?

Some voices say the various denominated sects are all we have, but history shows how church truth was recovered by God (not men) in the early 1800's, with a recorded simple gathering in 1827 A.D. in Ireland, after the religious bondage and tyranny of the Middle (dark) Ages ---about 500-1500 A.D. under the rule of the RC religion; and then the sectarianism of men that prevailed on to circa 1800.

Some of us have embraced that revival of 1827 without a name or program for fellowship (which still exists) and to obey and honor the Lord. That plain and precious truth can be shared with any who are sincere in seeking to know. I surely would not even think of changing what God gave us ---it is His Church after-all. It surely is not what various religious men have proposed down through the years with their doctrines, rituals, traditions, innovations, entertainment, etc. --denominated and sectarian.

If one looks to Acts 2:41-42 at the beginning of the Church, and studies the Epistles, they can see God's mind for His testimony in unity worldwide. It is not like what we are seeing with the various sects around us. Men should not be trying to "start a church", but be associated with the testimony in unity that we can still find today.

Rather than each one proposing religious ideas after their feeble reasoning, we need to appreciate esteemed Bible teachers down through history, who are able to show the mind of God from His immutable Word. If one knows God intimately and trusts Him through faith in His beloved Son ---the Lord Jesus Christ, he/she can earnestly and honestly seek His mind on what one reads in His Word. Relying on our ideas and reasoning will surely cause us to go astray, and forfeit much for eternity.

Readers can see some sound ministry about this at the site: biblecounsel.net, and learn much about church history at Bible Truth Publishers, Addison, IL -USA. -RLD

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This seems worth considering. If one desires to know more of this subject about non-denominations, one can PM me for some discussion on what I have learned of it. - 1watchman

Starting A Church?
Thoughts By R. L. DeWitt
One reportedly raised a question among some Christians as to what one would do differently if they were going to start a church, and improve on the many churches around us. The thoughts herein should thus be considered for unity as given in the Bible.

As to the question about starting a church, I think one needs to first know what the Church is, and it is not like what we are seeing in christendom in the world today. One cannot "start a church", for the Church as shown in the Bible is the spiritual "body of Christ" (and there is only one, as God shows) containing every true believer in Christ ---not an organization as designed by men. People might start a religious gathering to suit themselves, but that is not the Church God has set forth ---"the Bride of Christ". Any local Christian assembly ought to be only the local expression of the universal Church in unity everywhere. This means to follow the Bible-only for the order and function of God's testimony.

If one deviates from God's order they are opposing God's mind, and asserting themselves to do something that will only further divide and scatter the saints of God in the world, and dishonor the Lord. That is a very serious matter, and should be a word of caution. One should find that which God shows as already existing in full accord with God's Word, and pray earnestly to God to teach one and not let one go astray. Does one want to know what God intended in unity for His Church in the world?

Some voices say the various denominated sects are all we have, but history shows how church truth was recovered by God (not men) in the early 1800's, with a recorded simple gathering in 1827 A.D. in Ireland, after the religious bondage and tyranny of the Middle (dark) Ages ---about 500-1500 A.D. under the rule of the RC religion; and then the sectarianism of men that prevailed on to circa 1800.

Some of us have embraced that revival of 1827 without a name or program for fellowship (which still exists) and to obey and honor the Lord. That plain and precious truth can be shared with any who are sincere in seeking to know. I surely would not even think of changing what God gave us ---it is His Church after-all. It surely is not what various religious men have proposed down through the years with their doctrines, rituals, traditions, innovations, entertainment, etc. --denominated and sectarian.

If one looks to Acts 2:41-42 at the beginning of the Church, and studies the Epistles, they can see God's mind for His testimony in unity worldwide. It is not like what we are seeing with the various sects around us. Men should not be trying to "start a church", but be associated with the testimony in unity that we can still find today.

Rather than each one proposing religious ideas after their feeble reasoning, we need to appreciate esteemed Bible teachers down through history, who are able to show the mind of God from His immutable Word. If one knows God intimately and trusts Him through faith in His beloved Son ---the Lord Jesus Christ, he/she can earnestly and honestly seek His mind on what one reads in His Word. Relying on our ideas and reasoning will surely cause us to go astray, and forfeit much for eternity.

Readers can see some sound ministry about this at the site: biblecounsel.net, and learn much about church history at Bible Truth Publishers, Addison, IL -USA. -RLD
Hummm.... Lemee guess... "Brethren", right?

Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
personally, I don't she that it should matter what group 1watchman is from. that's the point I took from his mini sermon: our local groups don't matter because we should not be trying to promote local groups. we should be promoting the kingdom of heaven.

We use these local groups to organize ourselves in practical ways but always the kingdom of heaven is the real goal.

Actually I thought he was referring to the Quakers because he talked about being unprogrammed.

Upvote 0

Norah63

Jun 29, 2011
everlasting hills
✟14,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The more part of the people has always resisted the early church form of community.
Its a trust issue. Many have tried it, got ripped off spiritually and otherwise.
Groups come and go, yet the true pattern remains, still waiting for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, there have been various cults and sects that either enslave people to them, or seclude themselves, or go off in a carnal way to embrace all religions and have fun. What I appreciate about the paper is that it speaks about only bowing to the Word of God, which the many sects in the world do not; and as we see in responses most Christian sects do resist even considering honestly what "the early church form" really was as embracing Bible-only.

As one has said: "ya gotta wanna know", so I just share what I have appreciated to help earnest seekers, and leave all to what they like. I am always ready to be a help to those who are not mockers. We all will answer to God and not each other. Look up always!

Upvote 0

Norah63

Jun 29, 2011
everlasting hills
✟14,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said when he returned would there be any faith left.
Does that sound like the 'traditions of man' are going to change? I dont think so.
Take the best you can descern from whoever you listen to( or where ever)
Live the gospel in power as much as your surrender to grace allows.
Be at peace as much as possible with those around you.
God the Father will come and see when the bride is ready for His Son Jesus.
Keep the faith....

Upvote 0