'Godless' Camp Take Religion Out of Everyday Life.

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
Norseman said:
There was a poll on an atheist forum I frequent about republican/democratic demographics. Turns out we had like 10 republican atheists and something like 150 democratic atheists. .
Thank you for verifying what i was trying to say, although i said a number of Republicans I know are agnostic -- or, as someone suggested, they are Republicans who worship money more than God. But it looks like some atheists also worship mammon.

Upvote 0

Norseman

EAC Representative
Apr 29, 2004
Currently in China
✟13,677.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
interpreter said:
Thank you for verifying what i was trying to say, although i said a number of Republicans I know are agnostic -- or, as someone suggested, they are Republicans who worship money more than God. But it looks like some atheists also worship mammon.

Worship: The reverent love and devotion accorded a deity, an idol, or a sacred object.

I've never heard an atheist go "Our money, that art in the bank, greenback be thy name. Thy income come. Thy tax be done on my income as it is with my purchases. Give us this day our daily bling bling. And forgive us of our poorness, as we forgive the poor. And lead us not into poverty. But deliver us heaping mounds of gold. Amen."

Nor "Praise the money!", "In money we trust", "Thank the money" or anything like that.

Atheists "worship" money just as much as anyone else, which is to say not at all. It's a tool, not a deity.

Upvote 0

SisterGeoff

Nov 30, 2004
Visit site
✟8,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
interpreter said:
Here is the real scary news:

It is absolutely absurd that Kagin was able to force a Baptist youth camp to rent to Camp Quest under an absurd new state law that forbids churches to discriminate against humanists/atheists (pushed by Kentucky Democrats).

If they are required to not practice discrimination against tenants based on religion but still do not want to rent to us filthy atheists there is a simple solution, stop renting the place out and just use it them selves.

Upvote 0

SisterGeoff

Nov 30, 2004
Visit site
✟8,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
interpreter said:
Two things bother me:

Why can't the atheists build their own youth camps??

Because we simply do not have the numbers to do so.

interpreter said:
Why can't ABC report the whole story instead of glorifying this knothead??

How exactly should they depict him? Atheist villain out to defile your children, town and camp grounds with his lack of faith?

Upvote 0

Justin Horne

Jan 24, 2004
✟16,228.00
Faith
Atheist
E_Powers said:
they do, its called public schools.
I hate statements like that. It's simply WRONG! I watch the 700 club every so often and see PAt say things like "since they banned paryer..." It's NOT RIGHT! I go to a public school (actually, it's a charter school... Lookitup though, it's still a public school) and we did a "rally round the flagpole," or something like that. Essentially, for weeks it was publiced, church flyers put up, etc. And in every announcement, the school staff wrote in" fully student planned, organized, and put on," but at the same time, you knew they supported it. That's probably why my little notes below the church flyers were taken down by the staff, as they "might have cause controversy." They said the famous line "Two hands at work will accomplish more that thousands grasped in prayer."

So no, it's not illegal, though what happened at my school kind of pushed it... At the same time, I'm used to it, and people in my position who sue and make a big deal at the court level bug me a bit... That said, it was annoying.

Upvote 0

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
SisterGeoff said:
If the ateists do not have the numbers to build atheist youth camps, then let the atheists offspring stay home.

How exactly should they depict him? Atheist villain out to defile your children, town and camp grounds with his lack of faith?
Exactly. Let Kagin be depicted as what he is.

If he was just an atheist minding his own business, or building his own youth camps, that would be different. Anyone scheming to defile holy places should be wholeheartedly condemned.

Upvote 0

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
Justin Horne said:
I hate statements like that. It's simply WRONG! I watch the 700 club every so often and see PAt say things like "since they banned paryer..." It's NOT RIGHT! I go to a public school (actually, it's a charter school... Lookitup though, it's still a public school) and we did a "rally round the flagpole," or something like that. Essentially, for weeks it was publiced, church flyers put up, etc. And in every announcement, the school staff wrote in" fully student planned, organized, and put on," but at the same time, you knew they supported it. That's probably why my little notes below the church flyers were taken down by the staff, as they "might have cause controversy." They said the famous line "Two hands at work will accomplish more that thousands grasped in prayer."

So no, it's not illegal, though what happened at my school kind of pushed it... At the same time, I'm used to it, and people in my position who sue and make a big deal at the court level bug me a bit... That said, it was annoying.
Justin, ur post is a bit confiusing. What is a "charter school" in ur state? How does it differ from a public school? Were prayers prayed at the "Rally round the flag pole"?? Let's have some more info!

Upvote 0

Links234

LinksAce
Oct 7, 2004
Gefangen in der Finsternis
Visit site
✟2,406.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How, exactly, is he defiling holy places? As was said before: The Baptist camps did not have to rent their grounds to him.

I would also like to point out that when I was younger, I attended camps that the brochures never mentioned religion. But you know what? I was forced to pray (I was raised Jewish, and the camp forced me to pray as a Christian).

Upvote 0

Justin Horne

Jan 24, 2004
✟16,228.00
Faith
Atheist
interpreter said:
Justin, ur post is a bit confiusing. What is a "charter school" in ur state? How does it differ from a public school? Were prayers prayed at the "Rally round the flag pole"?? Let's have some more info!
Sorry if it was a bit confusing.. I'm a debater, so I think farther ahead than my hands can type. It's why I excel at speaking, but am only a bit above average at writing...Meh

www.cdacharter.org
There's my school, it should give you the basic info and a bit more. Essentially, it is a free, somewhat gov't funded (I don't quite fully understand it...) public school, except it is far smaller than normal, and a much more rigorous curriculum. So it's like a private school for those of us who don't want to/can't afford one, but still want a college prep education.
Don't get me wrong too, from my last post, it is a good school, very good.

That said, as to the thing. I believe, actually, it was, a national thing for students...
Ah, a quick look in my yearbook (I'll get to that in a bit) and it's called See you at the Pole. Here's their website: http://www.syatp.com/
So, that's what they did.. posters bought from them, posters for various churches, etc. Before school one day, that was just what they did. gether rouncd flagpole and pray.

As for yearbook, that's where the controversy was. As an editor, I got say in that one. Actually, it was a split among the 4 editors, 2 wanted it in, 2 didn't. In a case like that after some time, it goes to our teacher, who is very fundamentalist christian (about Kent Hovind: "Isn't he just awesome?"), and it got put it. If you want, later today I'll scan/take a picture of the page.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Justin Horne

Jan 24, 2004
✟16,228.00
Faith
Atheist
From their website:
Do you really want to see and experience an unbelievable wave of awakening on your campus? What is going on at your school that can only be explained by the power of God? How desperately do you desire for God to come in power? Is your heart truly broken for your non-Christian friends and the sin on your campus? When you are seriously sold out and passionate about God He will honor your humble, broken, desperate cry. He wants to hear from you!

This year I'll actually take more of a stance against it. Not because it truly offends me, but I am kind of like Richard Dawkins, in that something ought to be said about it. For those of you who are interested in where we really agree, find and read his essay "Time to Stand Up." It should be freely available online somewhere...
Actually, here's a link to it:
http://www.ffrf.org/timely/dawkins.php

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
From your school's webpage:

"Charter schools in the State of Idaho are required to abide by all the laws that other public schools are required to follow. As a matter of fact, legislation requires charter schools to be more accountable than other public schools."

Upvote 0

Justin Horne

Jan 24, 2004
✟16,228.00
Faith
Atheist
Oh, I'm sure they technically folled the law.. That's why they put the organized, assembled, etc thing on the announcements... That said, the taking down of mine was a bit rude. Admittedly, they were likely going to cause people to be uncomfortable, that's why they were there, to make people think.

Upvote 0

SisterGeoff

Nov 30, 2004
Visit site
✟8,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
interpreter said:
If the ateists do not have the numbers to build atheist youth camps, then let the atheists offspring stay home.

So because we are a rather small minority we should refrain from doing what our limited numbers allow, renting others faclties?

interpreter said:
Exactly. Let Kagin be depicted as what he is.

Forget I asked

interpreter said:
If he was just an atheist minding his own business, or building his own youth camps, that would be different. Anyone scheming to defile holy places should be wholeheartedly condemned.

The Baptists know that they cannot deny rental to tenants based on religion, if they cannot deal with us damned atheist renting their land they should simply refrain from renting it out. Then they can keep it from being "defiled" by our precense.

Reactions: Links234
Upvote 0

JPPT1974

May 2024 Spring Fever!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟570,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Justin Horne said:
Oh, I'm sure they technically folled the law.. That's why they put the organized, assembled, etc thing on the announcements... That said, the taking down of mine was a bit rude. Admittedly, they were likely going to cause people to be uncomfortable, that's why they were there, to make people think.

They want to take out the Christian or even Jewish in the camps and want to take down it seems all the fun. It does seem to be a bit rude as it may as you say seem to the people to be uncomfortable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Norseman

EAC Representative
Apr 29, 2004
Currently in China
✟13,677.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
SisterGeoff said:

We're almost at 10% in America, and we're growing pretty fast. Around the rest of the world we're more like 15%. The population of America is around 300,000,000, so there's a little under 30 million atheists/agnostics in the U.S. alone. The real problem is we aren't organized and we don't seem to want to be. It all goes back to that old adage "Organizing atheists is like herding cats."

Upvote 0

SisterGeoff

Nov 30, 2004
Visit site
✟8,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Norseman said:
We're almost at 10% in America, and we're growing pretty fast. Around the rest of the world we're more like 15%.

I would be interested in seeing where you found that static, most I have seen put use atheists at single digits in the US, usually 6-8%. Also keep not usually found in concentrations like Christians are.

Norseman said:
The real problem is we aren't organized and we don't seem to want to be. It all goes back to that old adage "Organizing atheists is like herding cats."

Aint that the truth. With me persoanly whenever I think of atheist meetings I always wonder, what one earth would we do?

"If the meeting would please come to order, there is no god, err try the veal"

Upvote 0

Norseman

EAC Representative
Apr 29, 2004
Currently in China
✟13,677.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
SisterGeoff said:
I would be interested in seeing where you found that static, most I have seen put use atheists at single digits in the US, usually 6-8%. Also keep not usually found in concentrations like Christians are.

Actually, turns out that was an old statistic, wikipedia says the number of atheists/agnostics in the US is 15% as of 2001. It was 8.4% in 1990.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S.#Religion

Upvote 0

fyodoros

May 30, 2005
✟653.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
how is this place holy, and how is it being defiled?

"If the meeting would please come to order, there is no god, err try the veal"
lol

Upvote 0