Texas
✟11,733.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God doesn't assign certain men to hell, they end up in hell by rejecting God. ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 1 Tim 2 1I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— 2for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be driven out. And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself. John 12:31-32 :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and he is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world. 1 John 2:1-2

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ro 9:21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

2Pe 2:12 But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]John Gill's Exposition of the Bible[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1 Timothy 2:4[/FONT] Who will have all men to be saved…
The salvation which God wills that all men should enjoy, is not a mere possibility of salvation, or a mere putting them into a salvable state; or an offer of salvation to them; or a proposal of sufficient means of it to all in his word; but a real, certain, and actual salvation, which he has determined they shall have; and is sure from his own appointment, from the provision of Christ as a Saviour for them, from the covenant of grace, in which everything is secured necessary for it, and from the mission of Christ to effect it, and from its being effected by him: wherefore the will of God, that all men should be saved, is not a conditional will, or what depends on the will of man, or on anything to be performed by him, for then none might be saved; and if any should, it would be of him that willeth, contrary to the express words of Scripture; but it is an absolute and unconditional will respecting their salvation, and which infallibly secures it: nor is it such a will as is distinguishable into antecedent and consequent; with the former of which it is said, God wills the salvation of all men, as they are his creatures, and the work of his hands; and with the latter he wills, or not wills it, according to their future conduct and behaviour; but the will of God concerning man's salvation is entirely one, invariable, unalterable, and unchangeable: nor is it merely his will of approbation or complacency, which expresses only what would be grateful and well pleasing, should it be, and which is not always fulfilled; but it is his ordaining, purposing, and determining will, which is never resisted, so as to be frustrated, but is always accomplished: the will of God, the sovereign and unfrustrable will of God, has the governing sway and influence in the salvation of men; it rises from it, and is according to it; and all who are saved God wills they should be saved; nor are any saved, but whom he wills they should be saved: hence by all men, whom God would have saved, cannot be meant every individual of mankind, since it is not his will that all men, in this large sense, should be saved, unless there are two contrary wills in God; for there are some who were before ordained by him unto condemnation, and are vessels of wrath fitted for destruction; and it is his will concerning some, that they should believe a lie, that they all might be damned; nor is it fact that all are saved, as they would be, if it was his will they should; for who hath resisted his will? but there is a world of ungodly men that will be condemned, and who will go into everlasting punishment: rather therefore all sorts of men, agreeably to the use of the phrase in (1 Timothy 2:1) are here intended, kings and peasants, rich and poor, bond and free, male and female, young and old, greater and lesser sinners; and therefore all are to be prayed for, even all sorts of men, because God will have all men, or all sorts of men, saved; and particularly the Gentiles may be designed, who are sometimes called the world, the whole world, and every creature; whom God would have saved, as well as the Jews, and therefore Heathens, and Heathen magistrates, were to be prayed for as well as Jewish ones. Moreover, the same persons God would have saved, he would have also
[/FONT]

Upvote 0

chestertonrules

Dec 17, 2007
Texas
✟11,733.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ro 9:21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

2Pe 2:12 But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;

Romans 9 is regarding our lot in life, not heaven and hell. Regarding 2 Peter, perishing in their own corruption is not God's will. ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: Some context: 2 Peter 2 4For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell,[a] putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment; 5if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others; 6if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly; 7and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the filthy lives of lawless men 8(for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)— 9if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue godly men from trials and to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment, while continuing their punishment.[c] 10This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the sinful nature[d] and despise authority. Bold and arrogant, these men are not afraid to slander celestial beings;

Upvote 0

chestertonrules

Dec 17, 2007
Texas
✟11,733.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]John Gill's Exposition of the Bible[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1 Timothy 2:4[/FONT] Who will have all men to be saved…
The salvation which God wills that all men should enjoy, is not a mere possibility of salvation, or a mere putting them into a salvable state; or an offer of salvation to them; or a proposal of sufficient means of it to all in his word; but a real, certain, and actual salvation, which he has determined they shall have; and is sure from his own appointment, from the provision of Christ as a Saviour for them, from the covenant of grace, in which everything is secured necessary for it, and from the mission of Christ to effect it, and from its being effected by him: wherefore the will of God, that all men should be saved, is not a conditional will, or what depends on the will of man, or on anything to be performed by him, for then none might be saved; and if any should, it would be of him that willeth, contrary to the express words of Scripture; but it is an absolute and unconditional will respecting their salvation, and which infallibly secures it: nor is it such a will as is distinguishable into antecedent and consequent; with the former of which it is said, God wills the salvation of all men, as they are his creatures, and the work of his hands; and with the latter he wills, or not wills it, according to their future conduct and behaviour; but the will of God concerning man's salvation is entirely one, invariable, unalterable, and unchangeable: nor is it merely his will of approbation or complacency, which expresses only what would be grateful and well pleasing, should it be, and which is not always fulfilled; but it is his ordaining, purposing, and determining will, which is never resisted, so as to be frustrated, but is always accomplished: the will of God, the sovereign and unfrustrable will of God, has the governing sway and influence in the salvation of men; it rises from it, and is according to it; and all who are saved God wills they should be saved; nor are any saved, but whom he wills they should be saved: hence by all men, whom God would have saved, cannot be meant every individual of mankind, since it is not his will that all men, in this large sense, should be saved, unless there are two contrary wills in God; for there are some who were before ordained by him unto condemnation, and are vessels of wrath fitted for destruction; and it is his will concerning some, that they should believe a lie, that they all might be damned; nor is it fact that all are saved, as they would be, if it was his will they should; for who hath resisted his will? but there is a world of ungodly men that will be condemned, and who will go into everlasting punishment: rather therefore all sorts of men, agreeably to the use of the phrase in (1 Timothy 2:1) are here intended, kings and peasants, rich and poor, bond and free, male and female, young and old, greater and lesser sinners; and therefore all are to be prayed for, even all sorts of men, because God will have all men, or all sorts of men, saved; and particularly the Gentiles may be designed, who are sometimes called the world, the whole world, and every creature; whom God would have saved, as well as the Jews, and therefore Heathens, and Heathen magistrates, were to be prayed for as well as Jewish ones. Moreover, the same persons God would have saved, he would have also
[/FONT]

MAN MADE DOGMA WHICH DISTORTS THE WORD OF GOD.

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God doesn't assign certain men to hell, they end up in hell by rejecting God. ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 1 Tim 2 1I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— 2for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be driven out. And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself. John 12:31-32 :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and he is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world. 1 John 2:1-2

No doubt about it. God is one sense wants all to be saved and takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked.

OTOH, God does assign certain people to hell, and did so before the foundations of the world. Who you ask? Future blasphemers of the Holy Spirit. How did He know? Foreknowledge.

Arminians actually have no problem with the concept of double election because they believe God elected based on knowledge of the future. It's calvinists that you'll see struggle with this issue.

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Agreed

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

&Abel

Aug 16, 2008
✟12,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
seems to me as though hes getting purpose and plan confused with will

Gods initial will is a freewill being, secondary will that the being turns to Him and allows Him to heal it

and through this that his overall plan and purpose which is set in stone to be accomplished(but this is a non factor since its impossible to resist this aspect of His will)

and why is it impossible to resist? because God already knows whats going to happen(foreknowledge)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
&Abel; and completely lacking in any grace whatsoever God is not a God of confusion, which is all this is
lol, the usual whine with no cheese or crackers.
Couldn't address the issues so fall back on the slander spew.
It is now officialy you're shtick.

Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No doubt about it. God is one sense wants all to be saved and takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked.

OTOH, God does assign certain people to hell, and did so before the foundations of the world. Who you ask? Future blasphemers of the Holy Spirit. How did He know? Foreknowledge.
Yes...'Foreknowledge'.

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you"...Jer 1:5.

Sanctified sheep. Condemned goats.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

hollowgram

Mar 5, 2009
✟207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
we have one group that rightly appreciates the fact that "free will" happens to be a myth -- but they imagine that means god dividing everyone ahead of time and no one gets a chance unless they made the cut.

then we have another group who rightfully sees that as heinous and despicable doctrine but their only solution to it involves invoking an absolute fiction known as "free will".

144,000 saints laugh at this while singing the song of Moses and the Lamb. they know the answer. R U 1 2?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Yes God would rather have all mankind saved than to go to the place prepared for the devil and his angels.

But that won't happen.

What does the word of God say?

"And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness." -2 Thes. 2:10-12 (KJV)

Those who reject the salvation God provided in Jesus Christ, and have pleasure in all kinds of unrighteousness, God Himself will send them a strong lie (i.e.: the anti-christ) and they will believe him.

Not all mankind will be saved.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Arminians actually have no problem with the concept of double election because they believe God elected based on knowledge of the future. It's calvinists that you'll see struggle with this issue.

We don't struggle with this.

If God uses "foreknowledge" of future events which take place in a Christians life as the determining factor as to whether or not one is elected, then that makes Peter a liar, and also the Bible.

For if God does use "foreknowledge" of the future, seeing who would and would not believe, and then bases His election on that, then this verse of scripture lies:

"Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:" -Acts 10:34 (KJV)

Using "foreknowledge", God saw this person would believe and elected them based on that, and had "respect" for that person. However, the other person would not believe, was not elected, and therefore, God did not "respect" them.

The context of Rom. 8:28-29 shows that the reason God "foreknew" (verse 29) was because they were elected first (verse 28).

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren."

He called them, elected them first, and because He elected them, He knew them.

But according to the other view, it goes like this:

God knew them, had foreknowledge of them, and elected them based on that.

Dispite the fact that scriptures do not support that idea. (cf. Eph. 1:4-5, 11)

I love it when the elect are elected based on "foreknowledge", that indeed makes God a respecter of persons.

And they call Calvinists "fatalists".
1.gif

Let us look at the definition given in Kittel’s dictionary. From Rom. 8:29, we have the word: “prowpisev.” From the root word: “proorizw,” which means: to limit or mark out beforehand, predestine.

According to the dictionary (Kittel’s), K. L. Schmidt comments:

This comparatively rare and late word is used in the Greek Bible only six times in the NT in the sense “to foreordain” “to predestinate.” Since God is eternal and has ordained everything before time, proopizein is a stronger form of opizein (to set bounds to). The synonyms and textual history show that the reference in proginwskien is the same. Rom. 8:29; ouv proginw kai prowpisen summorfouv tnv eikonov tou niou autou, Rom. 8:30; ous...prowpisen (A: proegnw) toutov kai ekalesen. The omniscient God has determined everything in advance, both persons and things in salvation history, with Jesus Christ as the goal. When Herod and Pilate work together with the Gentiles and the mob against Christ, it may be said: “h boulh [sou] prowrisen genesqai, Acts 4:28. Herein lies the hidden wisdom of God in a mystery, “hn prowrisen o qeoV pro twn aiwnwn eiV doxan hmwn,” 1 Cor. 2:7, cf. IV, 819. The goal of our predestination is divine sonship through Jesus Christ: “proorisaV hmaV eiV uioqesian dia ihsou cristou ,” Eph. 1:5. That we have our inheritance in Christ rests in the fact that we are proopisqentev kata proqesin tou ta panta energountov, Eph. 1:11.

Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, Edited by: Gerhard Kittel, Translated by: Geoffery W. Bromiley, Vol. V, “proopizw”, p. 456, K. L. Schmidt.

So there you have it, predestination is the mode by which God used to conform the elect to the image of His Son, by which we (the elect) are appointed to divine sonship.

Lets also refer to Rudolf Bultmann’s work in this area:

In the NT, “proginwskein” is referred to God. His foreknowledge, however, is an election or foreordination of His people (Rom. 8:29; 11:2) or Christ (1 Pet. 1:20) (> ginwskw, 698, 706). In Pastor Hermae, mandata, 4, 3, 4 it simply means
God’s foreknowledge (cf. prognwstv in 2 Cl. 9:9). On the basis of prophecy the word “proginwskein” can be used of believers in 2 Pet. 3:17, also as Pastor Hermae, similitudines, 7,5 > eklegw. Another possible meaning in Greek is that of knowing earlier, i.e., than the time speaking (cf. Demosthenes of Athens, 29, 58; Aristotle, Rhetorica, II, 21, p. 1394b, 11; Josephus, Bella Judiacum, 6,8). This is found in Acts 26:5, where the meaning is strengthened by the addition of “anwqen.” In Justin God’s “proginwskein” is Hid foreknowledge (Apol. I, 28, 2 etc.) and the “proegnwsmenoi” are believers (Apol. I, 45, 1 etc.). The polemic against determinism, however, shows that the OT view has been abandoned (Dial., 140, 4). As One who simply knows beforehand, God is called “prognwstv” in Apol., I, 44, 11 etc. as is also Christ in Dial., 35, 7; 82, 1. There is also reference to prophetic foreknowledge in Apol., I, 43, 1; 49, 6 etc. Tatian, of Syria, in Oratio ad Graecos, 19, 3, speaks of Apollo in the same terms, so that what we have here is the Greek understanding.

Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, Edited by: Gerhard Kittel, Translated by: Geoffery W. Bromiley, Vol. V, “prognwskein”, p. 457, Rudolph Bultmann commenting.

Keeping this in mind, according to “The New Analytical Greek Lexicon” by Wesley J. Perschbacker, editor, “proginwskw” is in the future tense. And it can be translated as meaning “to know beforehand, to be previously acquainted with; (Acts 26:5; 2 Pet. 3:17) to determine on beforehand, to foreordain; (1 Pet. 1:20) in the NT, from the Hebrew, “to know, to appoint as the subjects of future privileges, (Rom. 8:29; 11:2).

In each usage of the word “proginwskw” in the NT, in only two instances is the word used in reference to acts done by individuals.

In Acts 2:23, we read:

“Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain.”

-Acts 2:23 (KJV)​

Furthermore, in 1 Pet. 1:20, we read:

“Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,”

-1 Pet. 1:20 (KJV)​

And although there are two different words used in these verses, the meaning of each one is identical. In Acts 2:23, Peter is testifying of how the mob had delivered Jesus into the hands of the Romans to be crucified. And in 1 Pet. 1:20, Peter is relating how the Savior was manifested to provide the atonement. The reference in Acts 2:23 is of particular notice because it draws the foundation of its truth from the beginning of the Bible.

The means God ordains to bring about the salvation of the elect in the same sense as when they come to salvation, varies from one person to the next. For one person it may be as simple as witnessing and presenting the Gospel and what Jesus Christ did for them to bring them to saving grace. And in others, it may take something as drastic as the loss of a loved one or perhaps the loss of ones freedom to bring them to saving grace. The means to which each one comes to the grace of God is different with each person, and not all will come at the same time. That is the essence of predestination.

God predestinated, chose, called the elect before the foundation of the world, then God “foreseen, foreordained” the means to bring us to where we would be saved and as a consequence, we will ultimately be conformed to the image of His Son.

Predestination is the results of God’s choosing, calling, electing us to be His before this world came into existence without any “foreknowledge” or “foreseen” faith or believing or works done on our part that would merit His grace, or love. Furthermore, because He predestinated us, He also foreordained the means (Jesus Christ) by which the elect came to saving faith and grace without respect as to when in the individual’s life that they would come to Him.

Predestination is God saying your mine, foreordination is God saying I’ve made the way possible. It never, never says when this is to happen, just that it will. For some, it happens early, for some a little later on, and still others, even later, but ultimately, God has not lost a single one.

“And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are”

-John. 17:11 (KJV)​
"oti ouV proegnw, kai prowrisen summorfouV thV eikonoV tou uiou autou, eiV to einai auton prwtotokon en polloiV adelfoiV:" -Rom. 8:29 (GNT)

To them who were what? Called first, elected, and because they were called, elected, He foreordained them, and because He foreordained them, He predestinated them.

And unless I'm mistaken, isn't "opi" a conjunction used to connect this sentence with the previous sentence or statement.

opi, because, seeing that, since" (The New Analytical Greek Lexicon, Wesley J. Perschbacher, Hendrickson Publishing, Peabody, Mass., Copyright 1990, opi, p. 298)

Because, seeing that, since, they were called, elected, He foreordained them, and because, seeing that, since, they were foreordained, they were predestinated.

Donald Grey Barnhouse says the same thing in his commentary in Romans:

One could argue that it literally means "foreknowledge" as in the sense of to know before-hand, and technically, that would also be correct. But the underlying issue is this, how does God "fore-know" them? Because according to verse 28, they were called or elected first. Why wouldn't the Lord know those whom he called? And it is because they were called first, that He "foreordained" them, and because He "foreordained" them, He predestinated them.

Donald G. Barnhouse, Romans, Vol. III, God's Freedom, Hendrickson Publishing, Grand Rapids, Mi., Copyright 1959, p. 158.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
quote=hollowgram; we have one group that rightly appreciates the fact that "free will" happens to be a myth -- but they imagine that means god dividing everyone ahead of time and no one gets a chance unless they made the cut.
No! THere is no "cut". Only mercy for those He placed in Christ, which wasn't every single son of Adam, else there would be no opportunity for God to show His wrath on wickedness:

Rom9:19: Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will? [This is your "How can I be responsible if my choices are predestined?" question!]
20: Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
[Justice is a matter of jurisdiction, not subject to sentimental value or the objection of a popular majority. ]
21: Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
22: What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

then we have another group who rightfully sees that as heinous and despicable doctrine but their only solution to it involves invoking an absolute fiction known as "free will".
It is only heinous if you think your destiny is in your own hands - trust in self. You may protest & say you can't do it alone, you must trust in God's grace etc., but God's grace means nothing if you decide it doesn't. It didn't save you from yourself, so it didn't save you at all. Humanists are so self-over-rated.

144,000 saints laugh at this while singing the song of Moses and the Lamb. they know the answer. R U 1 2?
Cute.:cool:

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The means God ordains to bring about the salvation of the elect in the same sense as when they come to salvation, varies from one person to the next. For one person it may be as simple as witnessing and presenting the Gospel and what Jesus Christ did for them to bring them to saving grace. And in others, it may take something as drastic as the loss of a loved one or perhaps the loss of ones freedom to bring them to saving grace. The means to which each one comes to the grace of God is different with each person, and not all will come at the same time. That is the essence of predestination
Amen.
I am here to testify I became aware of my love for God at 4yrs old.
And I believe He acknowledged it. All I knew from church was that He was good & He made everything. The priest added "because He loves you", but that didn't register so much as that "He made everything". The reason is because "everything" seemed to amaze me begining with existence itself. Knowing God made this gave form & direction to my impulse for gratitude. It also helped me deal with my own narcissism, a chronic, life long condition that requires occaisional medication (lol).

But seriously, figuring out that God is in charge was a huge weight off my shoulders.
I always wanted to trust only Him, but religious authorities would always impose 'calisthenics' to maintain what I had supposedlyalready gained (salvation). The contradiction defied my critical skills until I discovered The Reformation & The Canons of Dordt online in late 2000.

Reactions: DeaconDean
Upvote 0

Rdr Iakovos

Nov 4, 2004
Funkytown
✟8,010.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Reading this thread, I have to chuckle, for so many who have written here would claim to follow "no tradition- only the bible"- and then go on to quote men.

Hence, traditions of men.

Each person responds to what they perceive as truth. God IS omnipotent, and yet He allows us to choose- He commands us to do so. He is not in the habit of lying.

His "foreknowledge" is not really 'fore' ITO of His place in time/space, for He is timeless. He simply knows, and is.

He commands us to obey His will, the "calisthenics" which are essential to please Him. He is not in the habit of issuing empty or needless commands. As to the part of such obedience in salvation- what does it matter? Is it too much to ask, since He made, sustains, keeps, and saves, to do what He says? Is it too much for a God of LOVE and mercy to be allowed the position of Lord? I have chosen, and I'm quite confident that I could have- and still could- choose wrongly. If it were not for the love of God, I would have probably killed someone, the way I was going and feeling.

Calvinism and Arminianism are two-dimensional cartoons of a many-dimensioned God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.